• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

UFOs and the Paranormal Challenge

Patricio Elicer

Obsessed with Reality
Joined
Aug 6, 2001
Messages
4,633
Location
Santiago, Chile
On the March 26, 2004 Commentary we read an exchange between Randi and a Michael Horn, who depicts himself as an "Authorized American Media Representative for The Billy Meier Contacts", who basically claimed to be in posession of an "other-worldly" metal sample (possibly retrieved from a UFO, he doesn't say).

These are the highlights of the exchange:

Horn
Metal alloy samples provided for analysis by Meier to Marcel Vogel, former IBM research chemist, holder of 32 patents; stated that, with any technology available to him as a scientist neither he nor another metallurgist friend who examined the metals, could put it together, could come close to duplicating or reproducing it.

The metal WAS shown to be other worldly [his emphasis] you devious, lying, self-inflated fraud! Perhaps not as other world as the bottom of the barrel, transparently dishonest, deceptive, and previosuly [sic] unknown to this planet variety of con artist that you nakedly expose yourself to be

Randi
Ah! Something we can actually examine! Where are these samples? Surely, if this statement is true, we have absolute, inarguable proof of other-worldly technology.

Where is the metal? If it can be shown to be other-worldly, the JREF million-dollar prize will be awarded. I await that evidence.

Now here, as I pointed out to him, we have something that can obviously, immediately, firmly, establish that Mr. Horn has a case to make. That's prima facie material, Mr. Horn. Therefore, I ask you to simply produce that evidence for us, through whatever agency you choose, and the JREF will promptly pay you the million-dollar prize that we offer.

From this, I deduce that anyone claiming to have UFO metal alloys or UFO materials in general, are eligible for the million dollar challenge. And there are quite a few people out there holding that claim.

So, anyone have any idea, hint or knowledge of how a proper protocol for testing these kind of claims may look like?. It doesn't look so easy at first sight, but Randi surely had something in mind when he challenged Horn.
 
Maybe something organic? I am sure you could get some strange organic material that has never been seen before. Like the DNA going the wrong way.

I would say the human race has made most of the normal alloys that can be made. Alloys would be a combination of two or three materials. Cannot see how they can be shown to be made off this world.

Another option is to produce a large quantity of non-radioactive material that is a lot more dense than U-238.
 
...
So, anyone have any idea, hint or knowledge of how a proper protocol for testing these kind of claims may look like?. It doesn't look so easy at first sight, but Randi surely had something in mind when he challenged Horn.

Perhaps we shall wait to cudgel our brains until someone actually applies. Mr. Horn? Mr. Meier?

What Mr. Randi had in mind while writing this? He called the bluff. Simple as that.

Clear space on your table, put all beverages safely away and check out the "Scientific Evidence" section (as proposed by Mr. Randi in his commentary from March 26, 2004) on http://www.billymeier.com

El Zilcho.
 
Ha !

I clicked on refresh 2 times and used IE (instead of mozilla) because i thougth the problem was on my side, that I saw nothing. Now rereading your post, I understand the el zilcho reference. That ain't a browser problem :P.
 
I would say the human race has made most of the normal alloys that can be made.
That sole fact renders the claim totally untestable, seems to me. That's why I've been curious as to what the protocol can possibly be.

I don't think Randi will go on complicated scientific matters on testing these claims. I've thought of some kind of double blind procedure, but yet I don't seem to be able figure out the details of such a test.

On further thought, maybe a claim like that can only be tested if the claimant asserts having proof or reasons to hold that the alloy is of extraterrestrial manufacture, as Mr Horn did.
 
Clear space on your table, put all beverages safely away and check out the "Scientific Evidence" section (as proposed by Mr. Randi in his commentary from March 26, 2004) on http://www.billymeier.com
smLMAO.gif
smLMAO.gif
 
So, anyone have any idea, hint or knowledge of how a proper protocol for testing these kind of claims may look like?. It doesn't look so easy at first sight, but Randi surely had something in mind when he challenged Horn.

Randi explains it there, in the quote. Randi is asking for any evidence, whatsoever, not a protocol to demonstrate something. The point is Horn is just making up everything he is saying; that this guy said "with any technology available to him as a scientist neither he nor another metallurgist friend who examined the metals, could put it together, could come close to duplicating or reproducing it". That's a bold claim, and Horn provides no evidence to back it up. It's like me saying I have a tiny pink unicorn, but won't let anyone see it and expect you to believe me. This is the entire point of the challenge, that people shouldn't just make things up to fool others.
 
If I am not mistaken, sitting in the Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale University (New Haven, CT), you will find several "other worldly" metals that are formed of materials that did not originate on Earth.


So, what is this claim, exactly?
It's not just "other worldly" metals. Some people claim to have recovered pieces of crashed UFOs, so what they in effect claim is that they have "metal alloys of alien manufacture". Although Horn doesn't say where his alleged metal sample comes from, it can be assumed it is of that nature, since he is the "representative" of UFO proponent Billy Meier.

For example, in the link below are pictures of what is supposed to be a metal piece taken from the debris of a UFO that allegedly crashed in the Argentinian city of Victoria. People claim that the metal is transparent, thus giving the material a bizarre property not found on the earth. They say that the fingers of people holding it can be seen from behind the element, although (they say) it's not entirely clear on the pictures.

I wonder if those guys are aware that they can win a million dollars! :rolleyes:

http://www.visionovni.com.ar/fotos.html#metal (Warning: music on the link)
 
Last edited:
Randi explains it there, in the quote. Randi is asking for any evidence, whatsoever, not a protocol to demonstrate something.
Yes, he's asking for evidence, but that evidence must come out from a test designed in accordance with the million dollar challenge rules. There must be a protocol agreed upon by both parties, to sort out what a positive result is and what a negative result is, without the need to resorting to any kind of judgement. Otherwise Randi will most surey be accused of making unilateral judgements.

The point is Horn is just making up everything he is saying; that this guy said "with any technology available to him as a scientist neither he nor another metallurgist friend who examined the metals, could put it together, could come close to duplicating or reproducing it". That's a bold claim, and Horn provides no evidence to back it up.
That's very likely the point the test should be aimed at. Not just "hey I have an alien metal alloy, so gimme the million!", but rather, "I have a metal alloy which is of alien manufature because of [insert a reason here]", so a protocol can be designed to see if the claimed reason is true or not.
 
If I am not mistaken, sitting in the Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale University (New Haven, CT), you will find several "other worldly" metals that are formed of materials that did not originate on Earth.


So, what is this claim, exactly?

As webfusions helpful link will make you understand, a claim of "other worldly" materials on earth will not prove its manufacture by aliens. (Insert generic UFO sound.)

However, I propose we await an application from anyone (Insert chicken cackle.) before discussing what "could be". (Insert beer tent chitchat.)

Patricio, I probably feel as bored (Insert yawn.) as you about the lack of interesting claims. Hopefully, Mr. Randi gets well soon (Insert "Training Montage" from Rocky IV.) and we find ourselves in the middle of a dozen claims accompanied by three dozen affidavits (Insert hysteric clown laughter.) and a dozen air-tight protocols. (Insert type-writer noise and the line break pling.)

Hey, you can't blame a girl for optimism, right?
 
Yawn. Kaz did this one too. She gave her "Jesus Rock" to NASA, and the blackguards kept it! They were kind enough to confirm her suspicions that it was otherworldy, though.:rolleyes:
 
I work with some of the best metallurgists in the world here: http://www.ml.afrl.af.mil/. I'm pretty sure the USAF would be interested in examining some new "alien" metal if they could get their hands on it.
 
They say that the fingers of people holding it can be seen from behind the element, although (they say) it's not entirely clear on the pictures.

http://www.visionovni.com.ar/fotos.html#metal (Warning: music on the link)
Just want to correct my previous statement. What they actually say is that the transparency properties of the metal piece can only be seen on photographs, but not on direct viewing. That makes the story even funnier, isn't it? :p
 
I work with some of the best metallurgists in the world here: http://www.ml.afrl.af.mil/. I'm pretty sure the USAF would be interested in examining some new "alien" metal if they could get their hands on it.
That's very interesting, Skinny. I've been extensively discussing this subject on another forum. The UFO advocates claim that the US security and military forces are already in posession of metals of alien manufacture since the time of the Roswell event, 60 years ago!!, but that they are not willing to give out the results of the examinations because it is a top secret giving power and control to the US. So I'm afraid that you've been fooled by the USAF for the whole time, they are covering-up their findings :p :p
 
That's very interesting, Skinny. I've been extensively discussing this subject on another forum. The UFO advocates claim that the US security and military forces are already in posession of metals of alien manufacture since the time of the Roswell event, 60 years ago!!, but that they are not willing to give out the results of the examinations because it is a top secret giving power and control to the US. So I'm afraid that you've been fooled by the USAF for the whole time, they are covering-up their findings :p :p
Ah, I see, Patricio. So all the laboratory buildings, scanning electron microscopes, x-ray diffraction machines, lasers, etc. are all just part of an elaborate cover up that I've been duped into believing was for actual research? My Ed, how could I be so stupid? Here I thought I was getting paid to be an engineer, and now you spoil it by informing me I've just been an actor for the last 20+ years.
 
Ah, I see, Patricio. So all the laboratory buildings, scanning electron microscopes, x-ray diffraction machines, lasers, etc. are all just part of an elaborate cover up that I've been duped into believing was for actual research? My Ed, how could I be so stupid? Here I thought I was getting paid to be an engineer, and now you spoil it by informing me I've just been an actor for the last 20+ years.

We all know you're in on it. Skinny. I bet you have a white plastic chair for a best firend, too.

I mean, really, why do you think they'd won't give out details of the M-1's armor plate?

ALIEN TECHNOLOGY!!!! That's why!

:D
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom