• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ubuntu newbie with questions

Ok, small problem (I haven't gotten an answer over at ubuntuforums yet):
I'm running my audio through HDMI and it works for everything but system sounds and wine. Those two, for some reason, gets send to my front headphones jack.

I'm using Alsa, NVidia propritary drivers and yes, I've checked for muted channels.
I've also tried booting in a previous kernel as per advice on other problems. Nada.

Advice?
 
Make sure to have plenty of aspirin and alcohol on hand. The first to survive getting Wine to work, the second for the after-party.

Discounting the mentioned sound problem, I've actually haven't gotten that many problems with Wine after I found Winetricks. I had a minor issue with installing one of the older games, but that was resolved by getting the Microsoft Installer 2 from winetricks.

I haven't tried out the itunes store though. It's not fear.....It's a healthy instinct for survival ;).
 
Ok, small problem (I haven't gotten an answer over at ubuntuforums yet):
I'm running my audio through HDMI and it works for everything but system sounds and wine. Those two, for some reason, gets send to my front headphones jack.

I'm using Alsa, NVidia propritary drivers and yes, I've checked for muted channels.
I've also tried booting in a previous kernel as per advice on other problems. Nada.

Advice?

are you using ASLA or pulseaudio?
 
I am about to take a similar step too. I have a PC (dual core 32 bits) which seems to go slower and slower with time (usual problem of windows install if you install/de-install lot of stuff). Since I plan to only use it as media center now (to save video or to watch them) I will install Ubuntu 9.04 onto the second HD.

I will just keep my windows install as a "backup" for the next few weeks.

I will tell you how it went ;)
 
are you using ASLA or pulseaudio?

I'm a moron who has not had enough coffee, you clearly stated you're using alsa. Also I can't type.

Excuse me while I get more coffee and find where I fixed a problem very very similar to yours recently...


ETA:

If my memory serves, and I make no guarantees until the coffee is done brewing, this will help:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123616


As an aside can you verify that pulseaudio is not also installed. is it purely alsa? ubuntu can sometimes mix and match with dependency things.
 
Last edited:
I've got pulseaudio. THat's a bad thing, right?

No, it's another choice.

but ALSA may serve you better.

sudo aptitude purge -y pulseaudio, sudo aptitude install -y alsa

ought to do the trick. then you'll have different options for sound.
 
I'll try that when I get home.
BTW: Anyone know a good mirroring program for harddrives? I want to try Ubuntu on my laptop as well, but am leary of loosing the hidden installation partition.
I need something which can back up said partition and the partition structure first.
 
Imagine a world where the decisions of a corporation whose only interaction with you is to distribute music. Then imagine that corporation ultimately limiting your choice of word processor, because they won't let you listen to your music on an operating system that also supports your word processor.
Welcome to the world of DRM, have a nice stay.

Amazon sells a good selection of DRM-free music, and even iTunes has some stuff without DRM (and you can play DRM-free songs with iTunes). Also, you can play music on Windows or Mac without using iTunes...or am I missing your point?
 
I'll try that when I get home.
BTW: Anyone know a good mirroring program for harddrives?
I have Acronis True Image 10 which I've found easy to use to restore partitions or the main boot record after I've messed around with linux versions. (If you have a Seagate drive, you can download a free version of the program from the Seagate site.)
 
No, it's another choice.

but ALSA may serve you better.

sudo aptitude purge -y pulseaudio, sudo aptitude install -y alsa

ought to do the trick. then you'll have different options for sound.

Nada. Then I downgraded my driver from 180(recommended) to 173 (not recommended) and BINGO! All sounds are now running through HDMI. I'm still waiting for whatever bugs 173 have to come back biting me in the arse.

I have Acronis True Image 10 which I've found easy to use to restore partitions or the main boot record after I've messed around with linux versions. (If you have a Seagate drive, you can download a free version of the program from the Seagate site.)

I'll take a look at that. Tnx both of you.
 
Hello,

the problem with ALSA, pulseaudio and the HDMI output might be that the pulseaudio server simply doesn't use the HDMI output by default. Pulseaudio does some autodetection, and that _may_ fail and instead use the internal sound instead.

There is a way to fix that, but it requires you to manually edit the pulseaudio config file. First, do an "aplay -l" on the command line. This should show you a list of possible output devices for alsa. Write down the card-number of your HDMI output and the device-number it is assigned to. Now edit the pulseaudio config using something like "sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa". Locate the block that starts with:

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)

There will be a number of "#load-module ...." lines. At the end of that block, insert a new line:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3

where the "0,3" part is the card,device pair. So, if your's is card #0 and device #3, you can insert the line as given above. Otherwise change the number according to what "aplay -l" tells you.

After restarting pulseaudio (or the whole machine, if you like), it should use the HDMI output now.

As for your iTunes stuff, you may want to take a look at VirtualBox. This allows you to install a real Windows as a guest system that you can boot while in Linux. It will then run either in a window of its own, or you can use a seamless-mode so that the program windows are integrated seamlessly into the Linux desktop. Since you run a regular Windows in there, you can run any application you need.

This is a good solution for stuff that you can not get to work properly under wine.

Greetings,

Chris
 
Hello,

the problem with ALSA, pulseaudio and the HDMI output might be that the pulseaudio server simply doesn't use the HDMI output by default. Pulseaudio does some autodetection, and that _may_ fail and instead use the internal sound instead.

There is a way to fix that, but it requires you to manually edit the pulseaudio config file. First, do an "aplay -l" on the command line. This should show you a list of possible output devices for alsa. Write down the card-number of your HDMI output and the device-number it is assigned to. Now edit the pulseaudio config using something like "sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa". Locate the block that starts with:

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)

There will be a number of "#load-module ...." lines. At the end of that block, insert a new line:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3

where the "0,3" part is the card,device pair. So, if your's is card #0 and device #3, you can insert the line as given above. Otherwise change the number according to what "aplay -l" tells you.

After restarting pulseaudio (or the whole machine, if you like), it should use the HDMI output now.

As for your iTunes stuff, you may want to take a look at VirtualBox. This allows you to install a real Windows as a guest system that you can boot while in Linux. It will then run either in a window of its own, or you can use a seamless-mode so that the program windows are integrated seamlessly into the Linux desktop. Since you run a regular Windows in there, you can run any application you need.

This is a good solution for stuff that you can not get to work properly under wine.

Greetings,

Chris

This.

I like this guy's style. ;)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom