• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump's Second Term

Actually known or just a myth?

Me: "Circuses vector for polio?"
Google: "It appears "circuses" may be a typo or autocorrect error."
Then tells me about actual vectors.

I think it may be a case of (occasional) correlation.
Given the transmission vectors, faecal-oral or droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, and it mostly affects under 5's then a circus seems like a perfect place to spread it.
Shareable hand food in a crowded seating area that's pitched at young 'uns who may not have got to grips with personal hygiene yet, if the place had adequate handwashing facilities in the first place
 
Given the transmission vectors, faecal-oral or droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, and it mostly affects under 5's then a circus seems like a perfect place to spread it.
Shareable hand food in a crowded seating area that's pitched at young 'uns who may not have got to grips with personal hygiene yet, if the place had adequate handwashing facilities in the first place

Looking online, pretty much any public place where groups of children would gather was avoided. Comparable to the social distancing we experienced.
 
Rather than this.


I can can imagine that there could be quite a few self inflicted shocks with that.
Unlike the taser where the object is not to cause pain but shock the muscles into paralysis, this device in intended to subdue by causing pain. What could go wrong with issuing devices intended to cause pain without leaving marks or scars?
 
Unlike the taser where the object is not to cause pain but shock the muscles into paralysis, this device in intended to subdue by causing pain. What could go wrong with issuing devices intended to cause pain without leaving marks or scars?
Just because the king's extrajudicial goon squad is getting torture devices doesn't mean there's anything to worry about.
 
Actually known or just a myth?

Me: "Circuses vector for polio?"
Google: "It appears "circuses" may be a typo or autocorrect error."
Then tells me about actual vectors.

I think it may be a case of (occasional) correlation.
Yes, I likely put that wrong. Circuses were said to be a known vector, as were generally large gatherings in hot weather. Good enough to keep us from going the the circus. Objective history suggests that the enormous polio scare of the 1950's was a bit exaggerated, but anyway, when the Circus came to Great Barrington, we watched the parade and went home. I did like the calliope, though.
 
I got the Salk vaccine pretty early in its career, because polio was a big deal then. I recall when the circus came to town in 1954, and there was no way we'd ever be allowed to attend, because circuses were a known vector for polio. I got the vaccine as soon as it became available. Later the same with the Sabin. I think it was 1960 or 61, and as soon as it was available, I got it. My recollection is that it was a two dose affair, with a sugar cube each time. ABout the only things I've not been vaccinated for are measles and chicken pox, because I got those when little, before there were vaccines. Had there been, I'd surely have gotten them, especially as I'm told the fever from the measles was high enough for delirium. But when there was a vaccine for anything, I likely got it, and still do. I am happy to be RFK's nightmare, as full of death as a drugstore.
Have you had the shingles vaccine yet?
 
You are not responsible for this, Congress is. All you'll be doing is signing it. There isn't anything this guy wouldn't steal credit for.


Donald Trump
@realDonaldTrump
For many years, the vast Majority of Americans have asked to make Daylight Saving Time permanent, but no Administration has been able to get it properly done, until now. I am proud to announce that the House of Representatives has passed the Bill, and it has now gone to the Senate for final approval. People are sick and tired of having to change their clocks twice a year. It is foolish, inconvenient and, in some cases, very costly. For Cities and States with Watchtowers, and hard to reach places, it costs Millions of Dollars. A recent case was made that it is also bad for your health in the anxiety it creates. Leading Medical, Crime, and Economic Studies have shown that ceasing the biannual time change, giving us one extra hour of natural sunlight in the evenings, will help Decrease Robbery and Murder Rates, Reduce Car Accidents (especially those involving Pedestrians!), Lower Risk for Cardiac Issues, Stroke, and Seasonal Depression, Make It Safer for Children to Walk Home from School, Increase Time with your Family, Strongly Support Extracurricular Activities, Be a Big Boost to Sports, Fitness, Tourism, Retail, and the Restaurant Industries (and more!), and Save Money on Energy Bills, because everyone will be enjoying an EXTRA HOUR OF DAYLIGHT. In other words, leave it as it is now, and never change again. This is an issue that Republicans, Dumocrats, and Independents can unite behind. I am asking Republican Senators to PASS THE SUNSHINE PROTECTION ACT, ASAP. Thank you for your attention to this matter! President DONALD J. TRUMP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nixon do that in the 1970s? I think it was stopped because too many kids were being hurt or killed at bus stops or something like that.

ETA: Got this from Google AI:
President Richard Nixon implemented year-round daylight saving time in 1974 as an energy-saving measure, but it was widely unpopular and reversed within the same year.
In December 1973, amid the oil crisis, President Nixon signed a law making daylight saving time (DST) permanent in the United States, beginning January 6, 1974. The goal was to conserve energy by reducing the need for artificial lighting in the evenings, with estimates suggesting a savings of about 150,000 barrels of oil per day. The policy was intended as a two-year experiment, but it quickly faced public backlash.
The main issue was prolonged early-morning darkness during winter, which created safety hazards for children going to school. Within weeks, eight children in Florida died in predawn traffic accidents, and other incidents occurred nationwide, prompting widespread concern. Public support plummeted from 79% in December 1973 to 42% by February 1974. Many parents and local communities protested, and some schools delayed start times to accommodate the dark mornings.
Despite its initial popularity for longer evening daylight, the experiment ended in September 1974, shortly after Nixon resigned amid the Watergate scandal. Congress voted to revert to standard time, citing both safety concerns and minimal energy savings, as the Department of Transportation found the reduction in fuel use was too small to justify the disruption
 
Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nixon do that in the 1970s? I think it was stopped because too many kids were being hurt or killed at bus stops or something like that.

ETA: Got this from Google AI:
That's interesting. I never knew the US tried it. I remember the UK trial at the end of the '60s when I first started school. Walking to school in the dark was weird. At least back then nobody drove their kids to our school so the roads were pretty safe.
 
That's interesting. I never knew the US tried it. I remember the UK trial at the end of the '60s when I first started school. Walking to school in the dark was weird. At least back then nobody drove their kids to our school so the roads were pretty safe.
Of course it was done in WWII with double summer time
 
Was this picture taken in the 60s? Looks like they're in a mob club.

117088236128593825.jpg
 
That's interesting. I never knew the US tried it. I remember the UK trial at the end of the '60s when I first started school. Walking to school in the dark was weird. At least back then nobody drove their kids to our school so the roads were pretty safe.
I was a senior in high school here in the US at that time. School began at 7 a.m. I remember the darkness and thinking how stupid this was.
 
Can you image how hard it is for his staffers to explain DST to him twice a year!?

I can't imagine they bother explaining anything to Trump using actual facts. They'll just say, "Time changes because it respects you, sir. It has tears in its eyes and just wants to change to shine more light on your perfection."

I almost threw up typing that.
 
Trump's war has caused record setting deployments for Navy\Marines and it's causing some pretty tough mental health issues. It also seems like the famed carriers that we have are in need of some maintenance, which isn't getting done. Source:
Since the Lincoln left its home port of San Diego last November, the aircraft carrier has been deployed for more than 250 days after being redirected to the Middle East to support US operations in the war with Iran, now entering its sixth month. With more than 5,000 sailors and Marines aboard, it has not made a port call in more than 200 days, setting a modern-day record for consecutive days at sea, according to Sen. Richard Blumenthal.
....
“There have been widespread reports of shortages of basic supplies, water contamination, plumbing issues, deteriorating mental health, deck safety concerns,” aboard the ship, he said in the letter, as well as “disruptions in the mail system, which have caused many care packages in route to the ship to be lost in transit for months.”
....
During the town hall, a spouse tearfully told officials that she received a message that same day from her husband saying “he hopes he doesn’t wake up tomorrow,” Stars and Stripes reported, citing one of the attendees.
....
“Sailors so worn down that, according to one family member, the ship’s own doctor warned they need to reach port soon or people are going to start losing their minds,” he wrote.

Trump mocks the military all of the time so I'm sure this won't be any different. He'll just tell them to put their shoulders up and that they have to do their job to protect America! How the military members can vote Republican, and more specifically for Trump, is entirely beyond me.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom