I did see that, but it is contradicted by other research I'm aware of, and which is why the government set the 0.05% standard, which was reduced from the original 0.08%. I'll look it up, but it's Friday evening and I can't be bothered at the moment.
I'm still at a loss as to why a coke is okay and a beer is not, particularly as it is generally accepted that a small amount of alcohol, under 0.05%, does not degrade driving ability.
Are you sure you saw the link? Despite what is "generally accepted", scientific research indicates that driving impairment occurs at levels well below 0.05%.
Not such a scientific study, but a TV series here conducted a live test where a selection of individuals were tested on practical driving skills, as well as how they perceived their performance, at increasing alcohol levels.
What was truly remarkable was not only how quickly driving performance downgraded, but how rapidly the gap between driver performance and driver perception widened.
After only one standard drink, all of the participants performed notably worse on the driving test, yet all participants rated their performance
higher than in the sober control test.
This is one of the reasons I support a zero BAC for all drivers. Having a legal limit encourages a culture whereby drivers attempt to assess if they are still "okay to drive" or not, but assessment of driving ability is the
very first impairment alcohol causes.
Allowing any level of BAC is asking impaired people to judge if they're impaired or not, and it's a disaster waiting to happen, as we learn every single day on our roads.