• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread The validity of classical physics (split from: DWFTTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
KE=1/2M*V^2, velocity being the rate of change of distance between any two objects.

No Ross, distance is a scalar. Velocity is defined as the rate of change of position between an object and an arbitrary reference point. Position being a vector quantity and the reference point would be the origin of the reference frame.

ETA: If you were to use distance in defining velocity, your world would be almost as screwed up as humbers.
 
Last edited:
So there is a diminishing closing gap? That is ds/dt? Going through zero as it "passes" the car? So zero KE?

I assume "s" is the displacement vector between the cars? If so, s goes through zero (or rather the component of it parallel to the motion does), but ds/dt does not - that's the relative velocity, and it's constant. Since KE depends on ds/dt (but not on s), KE is constant too.

This will be hard for you because it's the difference between position and velocity and acceleration, which you've repeatedly demonstrated you have no clue about at all.

If you would like I will write the vectors down explicitly for you, but I very much doubt it would help.

humber said:
Depends how you define the start of the process, perhaps?

When was the last time you saw a stationary parked car pass another stationary parked car?
 
Last edited:
No Ross, distance is a scalar. Velocity is defined as the rate of change of position between an object and an arbitrary reference point. Position being a vector quantity and the reference point would be the origin of the reference frame.

Thanks, Dan. Trying to set it in a way that humber couldn't wiggle out of, but he got so not any where near it that it made no never mind, but I understand the distinction.

Apparently Newtons equations only apply sometimes....
 
In practice, things are not lined up in a row. I doubt that you can make all vectors zero, H'ethetheth.


None of that does anything to support zero KE as the basis of a model H'ethetheth, but to suggest that is impossible, and produces an inert result.


It is quite straight forward, and you are changing the playing field. None of these matters have been addressed, and whatever the outcome or interpretation, I have not seen anything other than the over-simplification represented by the equations you posted to me a few posts ago.
I am quite sure an ad-hoc structure can be built, why not, just add more transformations, but that will say nothing about the validity of the model. Mathematics will simply be an obfuscation.

To answer the modeling question, I may as well reply to your earlier post, H'ethetheth.


And if there is no belt? That idea seems magical to me. As yet, nobody has managed to explain how the car can be said to be in motion, or how the KE necessary to meet even the minimum requirements of dynamic modeling is acquired or stored, or how that may be assigned to the belt or anywhere else. (Measurement seems to be impossible without actually supplying it it from test device itself)
The car and belt (or the observer) are not isolated from ground, but share it in common, and are within a common gravitational field. That is for certain, or there would be no power for the motor, to name but one reason. ( Power stations eventually return all current to the ground). It becomes difficult to believe that any KE produced from that source is not relative to ground.


I presume you mean motion other than relative to the ground? That motion at any given time is in the 'background', a common-mode effect. Your fish tank model, and all of our scientific tools are selective, and serve to isolate the desired outcome from that background, or as in your specific case, from water currents too.
I am not traveling in any real sense when not in motion w.r.t the ground, or it could be said that our cemeteries are full of travelers.
The fish may do work against a flow, and yet not move relative to the ground, and so gain no KE w.r.t the ground. This is nor true of the treadmill, as generally, little work is required to stay in one spot, when there is no load.


I did not elaborate on the jets, though I did not have simple vertical jets in mind. Yes, I know it is possible and I could use it, or perhaps something else, may be high-power ultrasonics. Orders of magnitude? I doubt that, and I can still call upon natural phenomenon to do some of the 'calculation', as indeed BMW seem to be doing. I expect that the CFD programme is 'seeded' with real data.
My point H'ethetheth, is that I do not need a belt. Therefore, I can see no reason why the belt could be said to imply motion of any sort.



The belt drags the cart backwards through the wind to be self-limiting, and so stay on the spot. That is not equivalent.
Some emulation of the road/wheel interface and propeller, yes. That is where the similarity ends.

(1)The real wind's power is independent. Whereas on the treadmill, the power available to the cart is limited by the friction to the belt and the reaction of the cart to that. Moreover, the force to the belt is of course, dependent upon gravity. That is not equivalent.

(2) The belt may be capable of providing the necessary power, but as stated, that is limited by the force to the belt. When that limit is reached, the cart's wheels may turn, but it will stay motionless w.r.t the ground ( because of the relative motion of wheel and belt) while the force will be more or less constant from the point. This casts doubt on the claim that the cart is capable of climbing the belt to windspeed.

(3) The treadmill can be modeled by fixing a strip of belt to the top of a long flatbed trolley. The wind-cart is placed on the belt as normal, and the trolley pulled through still air, so as to drag the cart backwards (air against the rear of the propeller). That is the same as the cart moving back with the belt. If the model is at all valid, the cart should make progress along the belt. That would not happen for many reasons;
(3a) The rear of the cart's prop will be met by the air mass, and simply roll on the spot with no motion w.r.t ground, hence no KE.
(3b) Should the propellor turn in that condition, that will serve to drive the cart forward. However, this will self-regulate because the cart is now moving in the forward direction, and so away from the driving force, with the added vexation that the belt and wheels are still in opposite motion. This means that the force is essentially constant, and at a minimum, with little or no motion w.r.t ground. That is the general operation of the treadmill, and the windspeed state.

The cart can never be in motion w.r.t the belt. For the cart to do that, the wheel's axle must move w.r.t the belt, but the opposite motions of belt and wheel prevent that. If force were to be available from the prop, then that would drive the axle forward, away from the driving force. The fact that is does not, shows that there is no net thrust from the propeller.

In fact, the above is a particular example of the general case; a simple wheeled vehicle powered only by the belt, cannot make progress w.r.t that belt.

(3c) That raises questions about distance on the belt. If the perceived travel is said to be velocity above windspeed, that would seem to be valid. The belt represents a velocity plane ( the speed of the belt sets the windspeed) but the distance along the belt itself, as a real belt, has a real dimension, so what does that represent to the treadmill side observer?
The models is strained, but it would appear to be simple displacement w.r.t the ground, for both the real and modeled cases. This also suggests that the cart is not in motion, save for that small displacement.


It is also true that it is not at all comparable. Yes, the fish does stay in one place, that is my point. The fish can gain no KE unless it swims at a velocity w.r.t the ground. The cart does not move relative to the ground at any appreciable velocity, and so can have no KE. In this way, they are similar.


Badly expressed, perhaps. The fish and water could both be at the same velocity w.r.t. the ground, but zero w.r.t reach other. There is no motion relative to the water when not swimming, is what I mean to say.


Yes, that is option(3)of the my earlier post. The others I thought may be closer to the treadmill, which is why I said that (1) was most likely to be comparable.
Yes, the fish is motionless w.r.t the camera, and flowing water would cloud your data, but the fish does swim. The tank rotates to keep the swimming fish fixed relative to the camera. As the tank rotates, there must be some viscous coupling to the water, so a small flow will be generated. I imagine this to be necessary to the experiment, because it stimulates the fish to swim against it. This is nothing like the treadmill.


The fish is self-powered and not from the flow of the water. That is very different from a wind cart. Few would doubt that a battery R/C car would not climb the belt.


That also sounds like magic. Like the fish, the cart it has no KE because it is not in motion w.r.t the ground. The KE is said to exist "relative to the belt" but it seems that a belt is not necessary to the model, so what then? The belt simulates the effect upon the boundary layer of the cart/car passing over the road, but not the motion itself.


In detail, yes. It is hypothetical, but means that it is feasible, and I could eliminate the belt. In any event, I need not model the boundary layer to test other aspects, so how can it be said that the car is in motion if there is no motion at all?


An error margin can be set accordingly. The reproduced boundary layer may perhaps be indistinguishable from the real thing, but definitely not the car's behaviour. The dynamics of motion at speed are no reproduced at all. It is not possible to do this to any significant degree, as the BMW/F1 car is mechanically restrained by attachment to the ceiling. The cart is similarity stabilized, by the method I described and some details specific to the cart's mechanism, but it is quite clearly only just stable. Not the dynamics of a vehicle driven to wind at such speeds,


There is certainly wind passing under the real car. The real wind blows over the road creating a boundary layer, independently of the car. That passes under the car, to be modified by the motion of the car as it travels over the road. There are two components to the boundary at a given velocity; the wind under the car, and the motion of the car over the road. The belt largely provides the pattern of that interaction, but the wind that passes under the car is needed for accurate reproduction. The error in the treadmill belt flow, is a demonstration ( in part) that wind is necessary to that model.






.

Quick! Beam Nomad off the Enterprise. It's about to explode
 
Hi all, I have been following the ddwfttw debate for a couple of years now. It has evolved in unexpected ways. Certainly it is a highly educational mechanics puzzle for most people, and an amazing sociological study.
I am really impressed with the dedication and patience shown by those with the clear knowledge.
 
Hey humber, did you know that if you have a hang glider that can fly at 25 mph, and there's a 25mph wind blowing, you can fly straight into the wind, and it works just fine? Groundspeed will be zero, and I guess you have no HKE, but there's is no difference at all in terms of how the glider handles, compared to flying in still air. Isn't it strange how, even though there is no motion, somehow the dynamics of motion at speed are reproduced perfectly? I've done it, and it seems like a really really accurate model of flying. Maybe that's because I was actually flying. Kind of like a treadmill for aircraft, don't you think? How does that work?
 
Last edited:
Yeah, and try swinging the steering wheel of the F1 car doing "simulated" 300kph on its treadmill.
 
Hey humber, did you know that if you have a hang glider that can fly at 25 mph, and there's a 25mph wind blowing, you can fly straight into the wind, and it works just fine? Groundspeed will be zero, and I guess you have no HKE, but there's is no difference at all in terms of how the glider handles, compared to flying in still air. Isn't it strange how, even though there is no motion, somehow the dynamics of motion at speed are reproduced perfectly? I've done it, and it seems like a really really accurate model of flying. Maybe that's because I was actually flying. Kind of like a treadmill for aircraft, don't you think? How does that work?

That's only because it is a real wind, which you would have known if you carried your handy dandy little paddle device (which we still don't really know what it does), it keeps your hang glider from getting defrangimenated.
 
Hi all, I have been following the ddwfttw debate for a couple of years now. It has evolved in unexpected ways. Certainly it is a highly educational mechanics puzzle for most people, and an amazing sociological study.
I am really impressed with the dedication and patience shown by those with the clear knowledge.

I hope you've come to show us where we are all wrong. The debate has been getting a little boring :)

Oh, and welcome to the JREF forum.
 
Yes I know, H'ethetheth, but all discussions assume nor more than 2D rectilinear motion. For cars on the road "speed" is good enough, I think.


Speed has no direction.

Compare car going 100mph West with a car going 100mph East.

The difference in speed is 0mph.
The difference in velocity is 200mph.

I'm fairly sure that the kinetic energy involved in a 200mph collision is somewhat larger than the kinetic energy involved in a 0mph collision.

So no, "speed" alone is not enough.

ETA:
Perhaps you have noticed that the general use of vectors in this thread is the scalar "speed" with "to the left" added.

Since the example is only moving in one dimension this is sufficient.

In case you hadn't noticed, with the math the rest of us are using negative values to indicate the reverse direction, but I don't expect you to understand it fully.
 
Last edited:
Humber, if you somehow came to realize that you have some fundamental misunderstanding about basic physics, and came to understand that error and repair it, would you admit it?

Have you ever publically admitted you're wrong in an internet forum?
 
I hope you've come to show us where we are all wrong. The debate has been getting a little boring :)

Oh, and welcome to the JREF forum.

Hi Dan O, fortunately I won't be able to show that you are all wrong, since I'm pretty sure there are only a few who are really wrong, and even then, they are only wrong in my world, and any who I share a consensus reality with.

I believe in using engineering theory and techniques to solve engineering problems, and art/spiritual/philosophy etc techniques for their relevant uses, and that it is extremely risky to mix them.

I have experienced similar psychological and belief structure barriers to effective engineering analysis outcomes in professional life and am intrigued by the similarity here. This is a really valuable documentation I think.
 
I'm well and truly sick of all this now. Clearly Humber has some kind of serious psychological disorder which prevents him from being aware of his mistakes.

It makes me think of those people who suffer a stroke which paralizes the entire left side of their body, and also prevents them from being aware of their paralysis. When asked if they can perform a task which requires two hands, such as carry a heavily laden tray, or tie their shoes, they'll be convinced they can do it. When the tray falls to the floor, or their shoes just won't tie up, they'll sit there in befuddled confusion, still convinced that there is nothing wrong with them.

Humber seems a bit like that to me. Sad, pathetic, and still convinced there is nothing wrong with him. I don't think I'll argue with him anymore, except maybe to pedantically correct the occasional misused term.

Maybe I'll respond to his arguments with nothing but Monty Python quotes. It'll probably be just as effective.
 
This thread is more!!
It has ceased to be!!
It's curled up it's tootsies and joined the bleedin' choir Invisibule!!
If it hadn't run into Humbers brain, it would be puhing up the Daisies!!!

THIS IS AN EX-THREAD !!!!
 
Last edited:
In practice, things are not lined up in a row. I doubt that you can make all vectors zero, H'ethetheth.
In the treadmill experiment not all vectors are zero, so there's no need to.

None of that does anything to support zero KE as the basis of a model H'ethetheth, but to suggest that is impossible, and produces an inert result.
Of course it does, just like you want your aicraft wind tunnel models to have zero KE w.r.t. the ground. That way you won't have to leave your comfy chair.

It is quite straight forward, and you are changing the playing field. None of these matters have been addressed, and whatever the outcome or interpretation, I have not seen anything other than the over-simplification represented by the equations you posted to me a few posts ago.
I am quite sure an ad-hoc structure can be built, why not, just add more transformations, but that will say nothing about the validity of the model. Mathematics will simply be an obfuscation.
This made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry, but math is now an obfuscation for physical modelling? That's just rich.
Anyway, I assume you won't be talking sense then.

To answer the modeling question, I may as well reply to your earlier post, H'ethetheth.
By all means.

And if there is no belt? That idea seems magical to me. As yet, nobody has managed to explain how the car can be said to be in motion, or how the KE necessary to meet even the minimum requirements of dynamic modeling is acquired or stored, or how that may be assigned to the belt or anywhere else. (Measurement seems to be impossible without actually supplying it it from test device itself)
No no no. Sorry, my friend, pretty much everyone has told you how the car can be said to be in motion. Motion is relative. The question is whether or not the relative motions of all parts involved are preserved. The answer, of course, is: yes they are.

The car and belt (or the observer) are not isolated from ground, but share it in common, and are within a common gravitational field.
Yes, but the gravitational field, which is vertical, is very nearly invariant under a transformation of horizontal velocity.

I presume you mean motion other than relative to the ground? That motion at any given time is in the 'background', a common-mode effect. Your fish tank model, and all of our scientific tools are selective, and serve to isolate the desired outcome from that background, or as in your specific case, from water currents too.
I am not traveling in any real sense when not in motion w.r.t the ground, or it could be said that our cemeteries are full of travelers.
Our dead travel around the sun each year. They travel around the earth every day; motion is relative. There is no preferential inertial frame. How many times do people have to say this before you consider the possibility that you're wrong about this?


The fish may do work against a flow, and yet not move relative to the ground, and so gain no KE w.r.t the ground. This is nor true of the treadmill, as generally, little work is required to stay in one spot, when there is no load.
What? What the hell does the word treadmill even mean to you? Have you ever seen someone running on a tread mill? They have no KE w.r.t. the ground. The fish need to exert exactly as much power to stay in one place as they would need to swim through still water.

I did not elaborate on the jets, though I did not have simple vertical jets in mind. Yes, I know it is possible and I could use it, or perhaps something else, may be high-power ultrasonics. Orders of magnitude? I doubt that, and I can still call upon natural phenomenon to do some of the 'calculation', as indeed BMW seem to be doing. I expect that the CFD programme is 'seeded' with real data.
My point H'ethetheth, is that I do not need a belt. Therefore, I can see no reason why the belt could be said to imply motion of any sort.
If that's the point, then I agree. You don't need a belt. You don't even need a car, really. The question is what you want to model. If you want to model the interactions of a car that is driven by the difference in velocity of two media, your going to need a car, and two media at different speeds. That simple.

The belt drags the cart backwards through the wind to be self-limiting, and so stay on the spot. That is not equivalent.
Some emulation of the road/wheel interface and propeller, yes. That is where the similarity ends.
Yes, and incidentally, that's also everything that is needed to be similar.

(1)The real wind's power is independent. Whereas on the treadmill, the power available to the cart is limited by the friction to the belt and the reaction of the cart to that. Moreover, the force to the belt is of course, dependent upon gravity. That is not equivalent.
In both cases the dynamics depend on gravity, and in both cases the dynamics deped on the difference in velocity between air and surface.

(2) The belt may be capable of providing the necessary power, but as stated, that is limited by the force to the belt. When that limit is reached, the cart's wheels may turn, but it will stay motionless w.r.t the ground ( because of the relative motion of wheel and belt) while the force will be more or less constant from the point. This casts doubt on the claim that the cart is capable of climbing the belt to windspeed.
At standstill, it is already at windspeed. When it climbs off, it is faster than wind speed.

(3) The treadmill can be modeled by fixing a strip of belt to the top of a long flatbed trolley. The wind-cart is placed on the belt as normal, and the trolley pulled through still air, so as to drag the cart backwards (air against the rear of the propeller). That is the same as the cart moving back with the belt. If the model is at all valid, the cart should make progress along the belt. That would not happen for many reasons;
(3a) The rear of the cart's prop will be met by the air mass, and simply roll on the spot with no motion w.r.t ground, hence no KE.
(3b) Should the propellor turn in that condition, that will serve to drive the cart forward. However, this will self-regulate because the cart is now moving in the forward direction, and so away from the driving force, with the added vexation that the belt and wheels are still in opposite motion. This means that the force is essentially constant, and at a minimum, with little or no motion w.r.t ground. That is the general operation of the treadmill, and the windspeed state.
That's where you're wrong. When you do this experiment you will see that, if you stand on the trolley, the cart will be blown away from you, and will act just like it did on the road.

The cart can never be in motion w.r.t the belt. For the cart to do that, the wheel's axle must move w.r.t the belt, but the opposite motions of belt and wheel prevent that. If force were to be available from the prop, then that would drive the axle forward, away from the driving force. The fact that is does not, shows that there is no net thrust from the propeller.
What? Did you even see spork's movies?

In fact, the above is a particular example of the general case; a simple wheeled vehicle powered only by the belt, cannot make progress w.r.t that belt.
You really need to look at those movies again.

It is also true that it is not at all comparable. Yes, the fish does stay in one place, that is my point. The fish can gain no KE unless it swims at a velocity w.r.t the ground. The cart does not move relative to the ground at any appreciable velocity, and so can have no KE. In this way, they are similar.
I can understand that you believe this if you think the ground is the absolute frame of reference, but unfortunately, it isn't.

Yes, that is option(3)of the my earlier post. The others I thought may be closer to the treadmill, which is why I said that (1) was most likely to be comparable.
Yes, the fish is motionless w.r.t the camera, and flowing water would cloud your data, but the fish does swim. The tank rotates to keep the swimming fish fixed relative to the camera. As the tank rotates, there must be some viscous coupling to the water, so a small flow will be generated. I imagine this to be necessary to the experiment, because it stimulates the fish to swim against it. This is nothing like the treadmill.
You have obviously never run on a treadmill. It is not easier than running on the ground, believe me.

That also sounds like magic.
I imagine it does to you, yes. Please go to a gym and run on a treadmill for me.

Like the fish, the cart it has no KE because it is not in motion w.r.t the ground. The KE is said to exist "relative to the belt" but it seems that a belt is not necessary to the model, so what then? The belt simulates the effect upon the boundary layer of the cart/car passing over the road, but not the motion itself.
Yes it does. It is only the relative motion that is relevant, because motion always is only relative!!

I will repeat again:

All motion is relative.

Try to understand what this means, humber. It really means what it says. Everything can always said to be moving, and not in a metaphorical way: Cars can be said to move across the road with exactly equal validity as the earth can be said to move along the car. Deal with this, please, humber.
 
Last edited:
Quick! Beam Nomad off the Enterprise. It's about to explode
:D I went back to read that long long post from humber, just to extract the most enjoyment from it, but I still can't manage to stay awake for more than a paragraph. I think he suddenly realised that no-one is ever going to take him seriously unless he writes an occasional full-length essay.

Hi all, I have been following the ddwfttw debate for a couple of years now. It has evolved in unexpected ways. Certainly it is a highly educational mechanics puzzle for most people, and an amazing sociological study.
Yes it sure is. Welcome to the forum and thread.
I am really impressed with the dedication and patience shown by those with the clear knowledge.
So am I, semper. I think you've missed at least one other adjective, but I can't quite put my finger on it just now. Ah yes, masochism. [ETA: Whoops, they're nouns, John] (I'm kind of somewhere between, I think, with little formal expertise, but a bit of background, and I've learned a lot from this.)

Hey humber, did you know that if you have a hang glider that can fly at 25 mph, and there's a 25mph wind blowing, you can fly straight into the wind, and it works just fine? Groundspeed will be zero, and I guess you have no HKE, but there's is no difference at all in terms of how the glider handles, compared to flying in still air. Isn't it strange how, even though there is no motion, somehow the dynamics of motion at speed are reproduced perfectly? I've done it, and it seems like a really really accurate model of flying. Maybe that's because I was actually flying. Kind of like a treadmill for aircraft, don't you think? How does that work?

That's only because it is a real wind, which you would have known if you carried your handy dandy little paddle device (which we still don't really know what it does), it keeps your hang glider from getting defrangimenated.

Yes, as far as I can make out, flying with 0 HKE (:D) in real wind is the most efficient, because the boundary layer isn't going forwards over the wing.
 
Last edited:
This bit's good: "As yet, nobody has managed to explain how the car can be said to be in motion, or how the KE necessary to meet even the minimum requirements of dynamic modeling is acquired or stored, or how that may be assigned to the belt or anywhere else."

As yet, in 2117 posts (minus humber's) nobody has managed to explain relative velocity, and hence relative kinetic energy, and the meaninglessness of any other kind. I have just read about six on this page, and feel like I've read dozens in the last week. One begins to feel that the only way to get the point across might be a physical demonstration of some kind, such as the sharp impact of his fast-moving face with a stationary fist.

But maybe Brian-M is right, and even that would just leave him confused as to why it hurt when clearly the fist wasn't moving and had no KE.

Or is it just tricks now? How much of it does he understand and pretend not to? The latest arguments seem to be about KE coming from (mother?) Earth and having to return. Apparently we're wrong to trust ordinary mechanical equations and principles, and must trace the energy flow from its source in the globe we happen to be on, and its gravity (yet, strangely, not the Sun, from whence the car gets its fuel).

But is that just his latest sham? I think so. He's not so much deluded on these matters as he is stubborn. Saying "the treadmill is a valid test after all", or "all velocity and hence kinetic energy is relative" is just too much of a stretch now. Even stopping posting would be too much like backing down. So "nobody has explained how...".

I know there are times when you just can't see something, no matter how many times it's pointed out to you. I just don't think this is an example. A genuine attempt to understand the correct ("traditional", for those of the relative-viewpoints persuasion) point of view would see him at least try to construct the relevant equations and arguments, whereas what I witness is just a deliberate attempt to avoid them. Sometimes it fails so badly that, as we see above, he makes a statement that seems "impossible" or whatever just because of the glaring omission of "w.r.t....", and yet he knows how to do that when he wants to.

The omission of a response altogether to my questions about which way the boundary layer would blow bits of tissue paper or give readings on anemometers held by someone moving down-belt are another clear indication of what's going on. He can't say it's going the wrong way over and over and over, and then say that the bits of tissue would flap the way we all know they would flap. Making it that stark puts him in an impossible position, so he just ignores me.

H'ethetheth's instruction to humber to run on a treadmill - again, kudos for saying that it takes energy, but humber can't be so isolated or (etc.) not to have seen people huffing and puffing as they run fast to stay in the same place. He can't be so (etc.) that he doesn't realise that if he sat down on one it would shoot him off the end. I refuse to believe that he is so (insert preferred term) that he doesn't see the relationship between this friction and the cart, which must have friction as it sits on the treadmill, and must generate a great deal more as it begins to move its parts. Hence, he cannot fail to realise that only a perfectly frictionless object could sit there without some mechanics overcoming friction, even if he doesn't quite understand the way still air can actually be a real wind. Even so, he only needs to remember "it's all relative", and he would see that, so he probably understands that now quite well enough. In fact, months ago his only way out of that was to start his bizarre theories that it floats on the boundary layer.

That's funny too. Rather than admit that someone invented a strange little gizmo that can go DDWFTTW, which is weird enough, his contortions to deny it end up with an even stranger (and much more useful) invention, a gizmo that attains no friction (negative friction?), levitates over a moving surface, and then travels in the opposite direction.

He said he liked magic because it showed how wrong our perceptions can be. I think he just likes doing tricks.
 
John,

Did you see this exchange??

Me:-

KE=1/2M*V^2 rings a bell, where V is that thing Newton mislabled...

His Humberness...


Equations are "application dependent", RossFW. They assume that you also recognize the nature of the system to which they apply.

If ONLY he'd been around to set Newton straight......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom