I'm sure I'm not the only one getting a guilty pleasure out of this. I think we are all beyond hoping Humber will admit his errors and basic mis-conceptions and are just throwing out questions to see exactly how dumb his answers will be -I know I have (Identify the Python reference!!)
Oooh, go on then, just the one...
The explicit Python references, perhaps.
I don't think it's beyond the pale, therefore, to see if we can't infer a little about the mind that is the Humber form the data we have.
Doctor, is there any hope for Little Nell?
First up, we are not talking about someone with an extensive education. I can't believe that anyone with any higher learning, even if it were in non-technical fields, would lack the simple abilities at mental modeling and VERY basic physics to be able to make such fundamental errors.
As a Flat Earther, I'm the smart one of my family.
Secondly, he knows a lot of big words and ALMOST knows what SOME of them mean (He didn't ask for some Adiabatic on his Burger, he knew it had SOMETHING to do with air).
Wittgenstein: Where (or of what) one cannot speak, one must pass over in silence.
Though germane advice, he did not mean that you should shut up if you do not know what you are talking about, but (generally), that if we do not have the words to express it we cannot think it, let alone communicate it.
Maybe that is the problem that you have with my writing and word usage.
Small dic tionary, perhaps.
I should add that I argue
with you, using your mental tools, not mine.
If that were no the case, I would not still be doing so, RossFW.
He thinks if he bandies them about, it infers knowledge (e.g, when I asked a simple question about True Airspeed vs Ground Speed he through out Mach No. (For the record, we were talking about 100mph- so about M0.13 at sea level- you don't find Tiger Moths with compressibility problems!!) but drops them quickly enough when asked to explain their relevance.
You were not specific. I found it difficult to believe that you has set me the Herculean task of adding 100 to 100, or whatever it was.
Thirdly, from his writing I would assume that English is not his first language. There is a certain brusqueness and syntax that suggest to me a language background in one of the harsher sounding ones.
Three, and I like brevity.
I have lived in a few different parts of the world and travel globally. If there is one thing I have learned it is that, PC or no PC, there ARE cultural norms that shape behavior and attitudes in people from different places.
Good on ya', mate! Me love you long time.
Did you visit the Reeperbahn when in Hamburg? Why not?
In many cultures, it is VERY hard for people, particularly Males, to admit error or even lack of knowledge of a subject.
Culture? This thread?
Culture is a well documented factor in many air accidents where a proud pilot, culturally pre-disposed to not admitting error, will press on with an eventually disastrous course of action rather than admit error, and with those around him remaining silent so as not to "dis-honour him" by saving their own lives!!
That is true. Actually it is
quite alarming. An airbus passenger plane nearly crashed after the (non-Japanese) captain not only ruled over advice, but was completely illogical, falling for the gambler's paradox, and so draining all the fuel from the tanks after pumping it
into the leaking tank. They fortunately made a record glide, to land the plane to a hero's welcome.
He took it well.
"On 24 August 2001, Air Transat, Flight 236, an A330-243, performed the world's longest recorded glide with a jet airliner after suffering fuel exhaustion over the Atlantic Ocean. The plane flew powerless for half an hour and covered 65 nautical miles (120 km) to an emergency landing in the Azores (Portugal). No one was hurt, but the aircraft suffered some structural damage and blown tires"
These people react VERY badly when error is pointed out to them (I used to fly in Japan, and have some first hand experience of this!!)
Yes, don't they, Captain.
The judgment. Drum roll....
Humber is a rudimentally educated person, later trained in a technical trade (I'm thinking electrician) with a keen interest in Physics, but without the basic grounding to comprehend basic concepts. He is originally from a hierarchical, male dominated culture, and is not used to those around him contradicting or correcting him (Plus, I don't think he HAS many people around him!) and gets very cross when anyone does.
Any thoughts?
I am the Chief of a very proud people. You insult my heritage. You may no longer have my daughter's hand in marriage.
The word
buffoon, comes to mind. All that from someone who thinks apparent velocity, is real velocity, and slower cars go backwards. Why do cars have reverse gear selection?
Can you now please answer at least some of the questions that I posted.?