This is for science, not spork.
humber, I know you might not have had time to get to my recent posts, but here's an accompanying sketch. This seems to be something like what you have given us so far. Clearly, my gradient is only approximate. It isn't going to be linear, but I didn't quite get the arrow spacing right. It doesn't really matter if it were linear or not. Maybe you can help me fill in the areas where there are question-marks. If the observer on the belt feels 10 m/s wind on the back of his head, and 6 on the front of his knees, can you explain where it changes from one to the other? ETA: Please note, the right hand diagram represents the person just letting himself move backwards at belt-speed. ETA again: Just to be absolutely clear, the treadmill is in a room with 'still' air, other than for the boundary layer gradient caused by the belt. It should also be noted that in reality the gradient would tail off much closer to the belt - let's just say this is a rather small person!
I don't hold much hope again, after I saw one of your earlier criticisms of someone's analysis - that they were talking about the winds from the point of view of the observer! That's what the experiment is about. That is what we're interested in, what a person, or indeed a cart on the treadmill will experience. Please acknowledge this point too.
ETA: Whoops, .... ok, never mind, I fixed the diagram now. I missed a 6 earlier.
Off you go.
[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/imagehosting/22697497348179d162.bmp[/qimg]
.Well... I haven't discounted the possiblity that he's a dog. But a highly intelligent dog - not likely.
Sorry, I've been waiting so long to read about humber recanting I just had to see it before I died. I sleep now.
Did I get anyone else?![]()
Humber, it doesn't matter how many times I try it. The only reason you keep coming up with the bizarre notion that the boundary layer wind on the belt is moving the opposite way that it is in the real wind is that you simply can't stop switching frames of reference in the middle of your "analysis". Either frame is valid, but you can't figure some velocities relative to the belt and some relative to the ground. If you keep doing that, you're going to keep flipping signs and coming up with the wrong answer.
I have discounted you as being highly intelligent.
Also, I'm still hoping to be aced by humber's engineering prowess and credentials.
I know, the second post was about my rant friday after being told I don't understand wind tunnels. Seeing how, in my workplace, I'm pretty much surrounded by wind tunnels, I told him that, after which he told me he wasn't impressed and could easily "ace" my argument from authority, if he so chose, which he didn't, in case you were wondering.
ETA: Thanks for the reference.
What a lot of guff, when a little arithmetic shoots it down.
I am going to define going with the belt as minus.
Cart means view from the cart
Observer means the view of an observer fixed to the belt
Windspeed Cart
Wind = 0
Flow = -6m/s (CW)
The observer is traveling with the belt, and so at -10m/s, w.r.t the cart,
so we can subtract 10m/s from the Windspeed Cart results to get the Observer's view.
Cart Observer
Wind =( 0) -10 = -10
Flow = (-6) -(-10) = +4m/s (CCW)
less clumsily, from the "wind's" perspective
Cart Observer
Wind = +10 + 0 = +10
Flow = +10 -6 = +4m/s (CCW)
Wind = 0
I'd like to see humber fill in the blanks in John's diagram...
[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/imagehosting/22697497348179d162.bmp[/qimg]
Oh no! Please no!!.............And my Kite????![]()
No they are not the same. It is quite simple.
For an observer traveling with the wind in each case.
From the the belt shows the same problem.
Realwind
10m/s (+2m/s) = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s downwind
6m/s (+2m/s ) = 4m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s downwind
Wind to flow = 4m/s
Constant difference between wind and flow of 4m/s, independent of observer velocity
Belt
10m/s (+2m/s) = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s from L to R
-6m/s (+2m/s) = -8m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s from R to L
Wind to flow +16m/s.
Dependent upon observer velocity. It is going the wrong way. Reversal of flow makes it good.
Realwind
10m/s (-2m/s) = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s downwind
6m/s (-2m/s ) = 4m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s downwind
Wind to flow = 4m/s
Constant difference between wind and flow of 4m/s, independent of observer velocity
Belt
10m/s (-2m/s) = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s from L to R
6m/s (-2m/s) = 4m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s from R to L
I denied the quiz
...because I an not interested.
Brian, I used to think like you. But now I have a small plaque with a message that I read often. It was a gift to me, and at first I thought it was just one of those "feel good" things. But now I see that it is the new way... the master's way... and it says:It's logically impossible for something to be travelling faster than itself from it's own perspective.
Bottom right should be -7m/s. The wind is 10m/s so the flow is 3m/s less.
Yes, it has been cold. Hamburg is indeed splendid. Snow makes it luminously so.Humber,
I've been away with work for a couple of days (Hamburg, beutiful but bloody cold!!), and, given time to reflect, I realise you have been right about everythiing.
As such, I now have a problem I hope our newly melded outlook can fix:-
It about Kites.
The wind powers the kite.I have a kite that flys just fine if I'm standing still and the wind is 10M/s.
You power the kite.Thing is, it ALSO flys if there is NO wind and I RUN at 10M/s.
The belt powers the kite.I'm also PRETTY SURE that if I had a long treadmill that went at 10m/s and stood on it, towing the kite, it would also fly.
As I said, 'kite' problems are so often in the mind. 'Kite performance anxiety'There must be a problem with my perception, as these things obviously can't be true.
For one, in the first instance it's a REAL wind, where the others aren't, so there's no way I could model the kites performance in 10m/s REAL wind by pulling it through still air at 10m/s, right?
Maybe Hamburg has been moved. Perhaps it's the motion that is important, and not the nature of the 'road'The last one can't be true, because I'm not even running on a REAL road, but on a treadmill, and that's NOT a road!!
Glad you brought that up. The first kite has no KE because it is restrained by you. There you go, no motion no KE, just like the cart. Glad to see that you have also dismissed that nonsense of "relative to the moon".Thirdly, and most importantly, there is the issue of KE.
The first kite has no KE in any frame, as it is not moving wrt the earths surface. In the second two, it does.
I know what I SAID, RossFW, you appear not to know it.Now we established (or at least you SAID it many times) that an object with no KE can't model on that has some, so I assume the reverse is also true?
Trouble is, the damned kite still insists on flying.
Can you tell me where I've gone wrong?