• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread The validity of classical physics (split from: DWFTTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever I said, that was not what I meant. I was asking why rotating wheels can be said to imply the car is moving.


Yes, I hate them.




No offense. I did mention that I am slightly alexic, ( I run over words). I also move from PC to PC, so things get mixed up, and I don't always have the time or patience to read or edit. I am also tired of making the same points. Under normal circumstances, this matter would have been long over.



Honestly, total confusion. I don't understand each and every word that all of you write, and I have to fend many. The treadmill is weird.

I would rather drop this point, whatever it was. I have not knowingly suggested that a parked car would spin its wheels.

Oh dear, this looks like a sob story starting up. After all the arrogant foolishness, endless blather, the constant pretense that you know better than 400 years worth of physics, after dozens of different flawed arguments about the cart and classical physics in general, the endless unanswered questions (unanswered by you, as demonstrated live every day here at JREF for all to see!), after your poker-faced accusations that others haven't answered your questions, now you want to drop it, now you've got some language difficulty, now you're confused and overwhelmed with so many posts to fend. I find it odd that such a great physics genius doesn't know what it was he said, or whatever it was, he didn't mean it and doesn't know what we're saying. If you'd just said how confused you were to start with, we could all have saved ourselves a lot of bother.

[ETA: Your thesis now comes down to "The treadmill is weird"!]

Analyse the kinetic energy in this.
 
Last edited:
When spork boils in oil, we can use the smoke to test which way the air is turning around the wheels.

Ahhh! But this is where you're wrong monkey-boy. I cannot be boiled in oil as I will hover motionless over the boiling oil.

No, with acceleration comes velocity, which begets displacement. Unavoidable for the case of unrestricted linear motion. That correlation can ensure I know which is which.

Sad that you can easily know which is which, but you are completely unable to teach a single other person in the world how to make that distinction. That must either make you feel supremely powerful... or extremely frustrated.

Well as I said on another thread here, I just showed the youtube videos to my real life rocket scientist brother. It bothered him deeply and he declared it to be a internet hoax.

If your real-life rocket scientist brother would like to hear it explained by a real life rocket scientist that understands it and has demontstrated it, have him give me a call.

I hate to admit it but there might be a little bit of humber in all of us.

Are you familiar with the rules of this forum regarding civil discourse and insults? :D
 
It's called gravity and commonsense.
Your logic is flawed. If there is no absolute reference, then I am at liberty to choose one, and you may not tell me otherwise.

I choose Mars as my absolute reference!! Is the cart moving in reference to Mars???

Humber, acknowledge one thing- "All frames of reference are equally valid" in Newton- So Newton was wrong, right??

That being said, the forces resolve regardless of the frame or reference. The cart works because of a difference in velocity between the surface and the air. That difference exsitis in any frame of reference.
 
Last edited:
Humber:
If there is no absolute reference, then I am at liberty to choose one, and you may not tell me otherwise

That is correct ... There is no absolute reference, you are at liberty to choose one (any one or even as many as you like) and I may not tell you otherwise.

JB
 
Thanks humber! A very nicely formatted post, and most or all sentences were able to be read without too much additional noise from typos and so forth. Also, no hanging tags. I appreciate your efforts in that regard, although it's a pity that much of the content still has the same old problems (in my opinion of course). Still, it's all good fun isn't it?
Debatable

Are you sure? How can we tell? :)
Great, you acknowledge the Earth is moving. Surely that means your parked car is also moving? When did it experience the acceleration that took it from being at rest to moving? If you claim your car was always moving, then I will claim that mine was always moving also. I'm sure we can agree to avoid any reliance on any form of Prime Mover! :D
It does not have to. The process is incremental. There is no chance of it being any other way. All the frames are permanently linked. Not the meaning at all. Too complicated, Clive.

Something can be moving without accelerating Humber. You may want to argue that all moving things started at rest (w.r.t. "ground"???) at some stage in the past and then had to be accelerated by something else at some later time. Are you trying to tell me you can tell what is "moving" and what is not only by examining it's entire history of accelerations since... umm....
There is no change of motion without acceleration. The history is incremental. It has what it has, but you need to apply force change it. How do you do that without manipulating it?
To that last remark, Yes! It is already done. Its a "chain", it never needs to be tracked and it never breaks. Time is continuous.

Newton came up with his laws? No. I guess it must have been earlier, perhaps even before there were observers!
Yes, and no frames were lost and nobody gave a toss. There is essentially "nothing to see". It's hyperbole.

Where are you measuring from to get displacement? Why did you choose that particular place? Can I choose I different place please? By the way, the accelerometer measures acceleration, which is the rate of change in velocity. Just because you notice some acceleration doesn't mean it wasn't moving to start with.
Now you are being absolutist about relative matters. The treadmill is not in orbit. No you have the wrong take on history. What I meant was that there is no chance of a "gap" developing, such that you would you need to know the "start". This frames idea has become hyperbolic, at the expense of reason.

I choose to measure displacement from the "X" marked in the belt. I don't get zero displacement or velocity. In fact I get the same as what I get for the car on the road with my "X" on the road if that is an appropriate distance and direction from the car initially.
The belt has no relationship to the car's actual motion. Accept that and you will not have to worry ever again about frames in connection with the treadmill !

Actually, no. Displacement w.r.t the origin of whichever inertial reference frame you choose to use is arguably the most important thing!
There is no need for an origin. There are no records required to maintain the "log". It can be no other way. There is nothing...

What if do some similar test in deep space. Who or what will tell me what is real there? What if I ask NASA to take a treadmill and cart to the moon so we can test your scenario of the cart running on the treadmill in a vacuum? Do I have to use moon ground there? Or Earth ground? Why?
Then you would need to make preparations for that. I see no attempt to consider say, humidity. Why bother about even smaller things?
No Clive, the vacuum is the limiting case, the conclusion of the logic. That is an error of derivation, not my idea.

Who said? Why? Perhaps now is the time for you tackle my post #2744 in the original thread!
A datum is not a fixed reference, Clive.

And if you use a reference frame at rest to any particular one of these many coloured belts, then Newtons laws will predict the same outcome for any particular interaction between some set of objects "out there". Do you want me to work through a simple example to show you? Or will the mathematics be "all good but meaningless"?
Quite implausible. Which one is the correct one, Clive? Is there a law of nature that allows for that, or prevents error? There are usually consequences, but you can pile on as many as you like. Do you think that likely if the belt was truly the road? It is like carpet.
It is man made, and artificial. So, no problem. The belt is not like the runner's treadmill belt in function. A dyno belt is different again, and so is the BMW/F1 belt. They look all like roads, but they do not have the same functionality. A belt-as-road is different again, and is not employed in the treadmill.

I thought you said observers have nothing to do with this? Now you try to tell me the "real ground" is the ground that you're standing on and you can just "see" this somehow.
No. The reason is, that there is nothing on the treadmill that is real, except the cart. Remove the belt, and what do you have? Nothing.
The belt has nothing to do with motion, so remove that and...
The belt simulates the passing of the road surface. That is all. It is not a road. That is the mistake. There is nothing, other than the cart, that is real in the treadmill. This is not the case with the BMW/F1. It has has two real objects; real wind and car, but it works just as well without the belt. Rotate the wheels by other means, but all that would be lost is the laminar flow under the car. The belt has nothing to do with motion.

For the belt to be valid, there must be a real connection with the road. In the case of BMW/F1, they have real wind that connects the whole thing to the natural world. That allows other things to be added, like laminar flow.
But the treadmill has none of these, so the belt is an orphan, if you like.

Please also show me how anybody can get negative KE. Show me the numbers I need to put in the formula. I guess I'll need mass, and velocity (as a vector). I know all of this stuff has come up before, and your errors were pointed out to you then as well. Have you not learned anything at all? Perhaps you have heard of "Clive Wearing"? (Not me by the way!) Check out Google or youtube. He has a interesting problem with his memory!
I don't have to do this Clive!. The -KE was not my claim, it was proffered as an explanation for a treadmill error.

Honestly humber, I don't think you have convinced anybody of anything. You have given some of us a reason to revisit some stuff we haven't thought about for a long time so thanks for that. You make a good teacher albeit in a very back-to-front kind of way! And you've also been quite funny, although possibly that was accidental some of the time. The end result was the same though so keep it coming!

If you could insist that a piece of vinyl can be a road, then would have point, but a moot one. What you do not seem to appreciate, is that such a frame cannot be built. It will always come down to the ground, not because of the "importance" of the earth, but because equivalence says it must. If the frame is valid in the real world, the is no need to hide, or take this or that measurement from here or there. That's what it all means. It makes no difference at all. You don't need observers, if only because you are that observer.
You can do what you like from the belt, but that won't change what the Earth reference sees. The problem is that the belt is not real, so it cannot be the equivalent of a real road, so there is discord between belt and ground. Move to the ground, and all adds up. The whole thing becomes exactly like everything else in the world, instead of an anomaly.
If you insist that the belt is the road in any meaningful way, then you will naturally disagree because our ideas are quite incompatible. Further discussion on the matters of the treadmill would be futile.

The belt-as-road supports the idea of windspeed frame. Remove that and you have a cart that is essentially still. That is what every reading from the ground says. That is what the cart itself says, that is what the friction and balance says.
Only from the belt can you get windspeed. That is fictional, because the belt has no connection with actual travel. It is just a belt, that has been pressed into service as a means of making laminar flow. That is not the only means by the way. Sometimes fans, jets and acoustic devices are used.
Sometimes water is used instead of air.

Mmmm.... Funny but accidentally so, knows lots of words but not the meaning, is confusing, good but bad teacher, can analyze the complex, but is stumped by a belt....... Do you think it's all me?
 
Oh dear, this looks like a sob story starting up. After all the arrogant foolishness, endless blather, the constant pretense that you know better than 400 years worth of physics, after dozens of different flawed arguments about the cart and classical physics in general, the endless unanswered questions (unanswered by you, as demonstrated live every day here at JREF for all to see!), after your poker-faced accusations that others haven't answered your questions, now you want to drop it, now you've got some language difficulty, now you're confused and overwhelmed with so many posts to fend. I find it odd that such a great physics genius doesn't know what it was he said, or whatever it was, he didn't mean it and doesn't know what we're saying. If you'd just said how confused you were to start with, we could all have saved ourselves a lot of bother.

[ETA: Your thesis now comes down to "The treadmill is weird"!]

Analyse the kinetic energy in this.

Aww...bless.
 
Mmmm.... Funny but accidentally so, knows lots of words but not the meaning, is confusing, good but bad teacher, can analyze the complex, but is stumped by a belt....... Do you think it's all me?
Tap, tap, tap... spork? Are you in there?
 
Mmmm.... Funny but accidentally so, knows lots of words but not the meaning, is confusing, good but bad teacher, can analyze the complex, but is stumped by a belt....... Do you think it's all me?

Yes.
 
If your real-life rocket scientist brother would like to hear it explained by a real life rocket scientist that understands it and has demontstrated it, have him give me a call.

spork, I thought you worked elsewhere. Seriously my brother works for a company that contracts pretty much just for NASA. He has done some of the programming that helps guide the international space station. He was nowhere near as bad as humber, but I could see that this idea seriously bothered him. Much like my initial reaction he claims it is an internet hoax. Also he did not want to even argue the frame of reference equivalence since that would give your test too much credibility, as I said after a couple of days I will see what he thinks. But I am sure that you have met other physicists that do not believe that this is for real either. And I can't say that I blame them too much seeing how there are countless hoaxes out there.
 
spork, I thought you worked elsewhere.

I do indeed work elsewhere. With one notable exception I do very little aero in my current position. But both my undegrad and grad degrees are pretty firmly "rocket science". And while I don't use them day to day for a living, I think I keep current pretty well. Certainly well enough to give your brother a valid and rigorous description of how and why this thing works at any level he'd like to discuss it.

Seriously my brother works for a company that contracts pretty much just for NASA. He has done some of the programming that helps guide the international space station.

Then perhaps we have something in common. It sounds like his area includes Dynamics and Control Theory?

He was nowhere near as bad as humber...

But to be fair - who is?

I am sure that you have met other physicists that do not believe that this is for real either. And I can't say that I blame them too much seeing how there are countless hoaxes out there.

I have. I blame them only because a physicist or engineer should be able to work out for themselves whether this is a hoax given a pencil and paper. Given the internet and a dozen people offering comprehensive explanations, it's not even a respectable challenge.

I think you should ask your brother specifically what laws are violated, and specifically how are they violated. I've never known a sceptic to be able to answer these questions. The closest anyone comes is to say this violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics, and somehow it's obvious HOW it violates this.
 
He was arguing conservation of momentum, and leading into conservation of energy. As I said he did not want to argue the treadmill's equivalence, because once he granted that the rest is obvious (and he was bright enough to see it coming). I think now that his curiosity has been piqued he will continue on his own until he gets it.
 
Conservation of momentum works just fine because the vehicle leaves a wake of slowed air in its path (as I'm sure you understand). Conservation of energy works just fine because the energy needed by the wheels to turn the prop can be significantly less than the energy needed by the prop to create the necessary thrust operating in the favorable tailwind.

If he believes ice boats can tack their way downwind at 3X to 4X the wind speed, his intuitive concerns should be laid to rest instantly. That ice boats can in fact do this is a matter of record and very well documented (in case one doesn't trust the analysis).

I'll be eager to hear about his progress.
 
Yes, I brought up the point that the wind would be slowed down relative to the ground. And I agree that conservation of energy is no problem, I also pointed out that the wind can be a huge source of energy. He just did not want to argue something that he could not get his head around, and he was getting ready to go back to Houston.
 
Here's an interesting conversation. Its origins are lost in the mists of time now, and who knows whether it will be picked up again. Michael_C may be having a rest or working. Brian M seems to have left it, or may still be deep in contemplation. The Zen Master Himself has been silent on the matter since it was put to him.


It's not lost on the mists of time if you learn how to use your handy-dandy time machine properly. You know, the same one Humber uses to freeze time on the belt.

The zen-like chain of thought began here...

The belt is just a source of power. What of a car on the a road? If you put a real car on a running belt, but do not start the engine, do you think that is the same as a car on the road?
 
I do not do this Brian_M. I do not need to twist your words. If you make a hypothetical case to support yours, and I refute it, then you can not simply go back and say I misinterpreted it. I am saying you are wrong, that is what I am saying.


Logically, saying that is not the same is identical to saying that it is different. This hardly amounts to twisting your words. You have stated many times, both implicitly and explicitly that you do not believe that being moved through the air on a treadmill is the same as standing in the wind on the road.

My reference to “unknown force” was intended to mean unknown to rest of us, if only because your explanations are entirely inadequate, not that you were claiming that the force was unknown.
 
Okay, I can see where some confusion is coming from.

Humber asked:

The belt is just a source of power. What of a car on the a road? If you put a real car on a running belt, but do not start the engine, do you think that is the same as a car on the road?


As the car would slow to a stop w.r.t. the belt without the engine running, due to friction, I was regarding the car as stopped, or parked w.r.t. the belt.

From Humber's responses in other posts, I can now see that what he meant was, if the car were held in place for a moment with the gear in neutral, so that the wheels started spinning and the car was let go, would that car, before it began to slow down w.r.t. the belt be equivalent to a car driving down the road?

From this interpretation, my answer should have been, the car on the belt is the same as a car rolling down the road at windspeed in the same direction as the wind, with the gears in neutral.
 
Are you saying that the sentence: "zero voltage" has no meaning? Do you even understand what "meaning" means?

Two batteries connected in series opposition A +[ V ]--[ V ]+ B
The voltage between A and B = 0V. I say that has no meaning.
 
Last edited:
?
Humber, acknowledge one thing- "All frames of reference are equally valid" in Newton- So Newton was wrong, right??
.

Would it matter to you if your treadmill was not a frame of reference but a toy on a belt?
 
I think that the belt has no part in this matter, Modified. I was asking if the car were on its side or roof, would it be valid to drive the wheels with belt?
For me, there is no connection between that belt and implied motion.

What do you mean by "valid"? You have created a situation where the vehicle interacts with something other than the belt and air. You can't compare that to a situation where there is no such interaction. For any such situation you can come up with involving a treadmill belt, I can tell you what the equivalent situation on the road (or wall or ceiling, since you are now using sideways and overhead belts) would be, and the car will perform the same in both cases.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom