So here's the update:
Members willing to answer some questions from a basic physics text:
Brian-M: YES
Christian: YES
Clive: YES
CORed: ?
fredriks: ?
H'ethetheth: ?
humb: HELL YEAH
humber: NO
JB: ?
jjcote: YES
John Freestone: YES
Mender: YES
sol invictus: ?
spacediver: ?
spork: YES
subduction zone: YES
As to when the test is - who knows. Unless humber agrees there's hardly a point to it at all. I figured he may think we're being condescending to ask him to answer some basic questions. But it seems pretty clear most of the rest of us aren't afraid to do it. So if he's in, it's a go. If he's not in, but you guys really want to do it, I'll get my physics text, post the questions, and I'll play along as well (it's been a LONG time, but I presume there are plenty of questions without answers in the back - or you can just trust me not to peek).
My recollection is that there are three parameters, and the full set would be "5 x 5 x 9", but it seems most leave off the 9 (at least in my experience).
Wikipedia claims: Five by five is the best of 25 possible subjective responses used to describe the quality of communications...Five by five therefore means a signal that has excellent strength and perfect clarity — the most understandable signal possible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_by_five
I think the 3rd parameter (1 to 9) is tone. But at least on hams I never hear it used.
spork: Are you willing to answer some questions from a basic physics text?
humber: Woof!
Classic - even this I can't get an answer to. In my business "woof!" means "affirmative" or "go" or "next". But in the humberverse I assume it means "woof".
So it's pretty much down to you humber. Give me the go ahead and I'll do the test. But after tomorrow I'll be away from my physics book for 2 weeks.
Members willing to answer some questions from a basic physics text:
Brian-M: YES
Christian: YES
Clive: YES
CORed: ?
fredriks: ?
H'ethetheth: ?
humb: HELL YEAH
humber: NO
JB: ?
jjcote: YES
John Freestone: YES
Mender: YES
sol invictus: ?
spacediver: ?
spork: YES
subduction zone: YES
As to when the test is - who knows. Unless humber agrees there's hardly a point to it at all. I figured he may think we're being condescending to ask him to answer some basic questions. But it seems pretty clear most of the rest of us aren't afraid to do it. So if he's in, it's a go. If he's not in, but you guys really want to do it, I'll get my physics text, post the questions, and I'll play along as well (it's been a LONG time, but I presume there are plenty of questions without answers in the back - or you can just trust me not to peek).
That would be "5 by 9". A strenght of 5 would be mediocre though I have given out 2's on the county hunter nets.
My recollection is that there are three parameters, and the full set would be "5 x 5 x 9", but it seems most leave off the 9 (at least in my experience).
Wikipedia claims: Five by five is the best of 25 possible subjective responses used to describe the quality of communications...Five by five therefore means a signal that has excellent strength and perfect clarity — the most understandable signal possible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_by_five
I think the 3rd parameter (1 to 9) is tone. But at least on hams I never hear it used.
spork: Are you willing to answer some questions from a basic physics text?
humber: Woof!
Classic - even this I can't get an answer to. In my business "woof!" means "affirmative" or "go" or "next". But in the humberverse I assume it means "woof".
So it's pretty much down to you humber. Give me the go ahead and I'll do the test. But after tomorrow I'll be away from my physics book for 2 weeks.
Last edited: