• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Marijuana Conspiracy

Just for those of you wondering about the legalization aspect, Barney Frank and Ron Paul introduced a bill in Spring of 2009 that would have legalized industrial hemp. (Paul previously introduced The Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007) Apparently, a shadowy conspiracy of dark forces other legislative priorities like the financial collapse and health care reform have kept it from the forefront.

As for whether pro-hemp forces are mostly pro-marijuana advocates, here is NORML's page on the issue. That same Ron Paul also introduced a decriminalization bill in Congress. Here is a video of him advocating legalization on CNN.


If you are so inclined, you can attend the 2010 International Cannabis & Hemp Expo in San Francisco. They are focused on cultivation of industrial hemp, er, mostly smoking pot I think. No mention of "industrial hemp" on their calendar, but the Kottonmouth Kings are playing! Also, several pot legalization advocates and many branches of NORML will be there.

Hmm - Every $1 raffle ticket buyer is entered in a raffle to win some groovy hemp clothing a vaporizer to inhale smoke-free THC.

Any EXPO attendee could take home a Zephyr vaporizer for the cost of a $1 raffle ticket!
Any patient can sample the Zephyr vaporizer in the Prop 215 tent!
And VIP’s are treated to a complimentary lounge in the VIP tent!

The only sites dedicated to "industrial hemp" that I found also reference conspiracies by Pierre DuPont and the "petrochemical companies" to ban hemp. None of them effectively address why this crop isn't revolutionizing China, Canada, Germany, etc.

All in all, big deal. Pro-pot people want hemp legalized as a first step to legalization. I get it. This conspiracy angle is just silly. Apathy does not equal conspiracy. No one cares.
 
Pro-pot people want hemp legalized as a first step to legalization. I get it.

I understand that they seem to want to do this, but I don't get why they think it would work. Legalizing hemp doesn't address why marijuana was made illegal in the first place.
 
I didn't say it was logical. Honestly, I think that advocating industrial hemp and "medical marijuana" is counter-productive. Everyone can see through it. A much more logical argument is that marijuana is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol, all things being equal. This is how it was almost legalized in the 70's.

The only thing that I wonder about is how much stronger the THC content is these days. From what I understand (I'm not a consumer), if mom smoked in the 70's and tried her kid's stash in 2010, she'd be blown away.

ETA - another argument that has merit is elimination of marijuana from prison mandates. The number of people incarcerated for pot-related offenses is scandalous, but that's what happens when it's treated like a drug.
 
Last edited:
Aside from the conspiracy and overhype, these type of threads are, at least, educational about the industrial merits of hemp.
 
And why did it go under? Lack of a market. Anything claiming beyond that is pure apologetics.

Um, I have no idea, and apparently neither do you. It was not just a hemp processing facility.....
I'm sure a few are, but as many as before? I doubt it.



There is a market, just a very small one with little to no hope of expansion , and one that can be glutted very, very easily.

No hope for expansion? That is some strong language there.

MolBasser
 
I didn't say it was logical. Honestly, I think that advocating industrial hemp and "medical marijuana" is counter-productive. Everyone can see through it. A much more logical argument is that marijuana is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol, all things being equal. This is how it was almost legalized in the 70's.

The only thing that I wonder about is how much stronger the THC content is these days. From what I understand (I'm not a consumer), if mom smoked in the 70's and tried her kid's stash in 2010, she'd be blown away.

ETA - another argument that has merit is elimination of marijuana from prison mandates. The number of people incarcerated for pot-related offenses is scandalous, but that's what happens when it's treated like a drug.

I'm limiting my discussion to the topic. Industrial hemp. If you want to tie in drugs, start another thread.

MolBasser
 
Barney Frank and Ron Paul

There's a wild sweet pairing. :D


A much more logical argument is that marijuana is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol, all things being equal.

One quibble - I remember when the Surgeon General published his findings about smoking. There was an instant response in the form of "safe cigarettes" containing such substances as herbal concoctions and spinach rather than tobacco. It's my understanding, however, that, nicotine aside, a great deal of the damage from smoking tobacco comes from inhaling the products of combustion. So for marijuana to be much less harmful than cigarettes a different delivery system than smoking would have to be used.
 
So for marijuana to be much less harmful than cigarettes a different delivery system than smoking would have to be used.
Vaporizers are the latest thing. I have seen them in a lot of college-town head shops recently, and they were featured online in that hemp expo I linked.

MolBasser, is it safe to say that you are no longer disputing my assertion (that pro-"industrial hemp" advocates are really pro-marijuana legalization), or are you now deeming it off topic. (in a thread titled "the marijuana conspiracy," LOL)
 
Vaporizers are the latest thing. I have seen them in a lot of college-town head shops recently, and they were featured online in that hemp expo I linked.

Interesting. So do you chop the leaves and boil them to inhale the steam or what? (note: I gave up pot-smoking in my 20s when all it did was put me to sleep. BO-ring!)
 
From the Zephyr vaporizer site:

Health Benefits of Vaporizing
Many people enjoy smoking on a regular basis, however, the fact is that when people smoke they are inhaling carcinogenic tar, which is also harmful to the lungs and respiratory system. Two of the main advantages of vaporizers, such as the Zephyr Ion, are their health benefits and their efficiency.

Unlike smoking, there is absolutely no combustion (burning) during vaporization. The lack of combustion means that there is no smoke – or tar that is contained in smoke – in vapor. Vapor is essentially a gas that contains the active ingredients of the biomass or essential oil being vaporized. While people may be skeptical before using a vaporizer themselves, they are soon convinced of it's benefits. Vaporizer technology works!

Studies have shown that vaporizing has virtually eliminated the biggest health issue related to smoking: vapor tested during these studies was composed almost entirely of active elements. On the other hand, smoke is comprised of at least a hundred chemicals in addition to the active elements, not to mention carcinogenic toxins. In addition to the health benefits of vaporizers, they are also more efficient than smoking: vaporization transfers a greater number of active elements. Such efficiency allows operators to extract more active elements from smaller amounts of essential oil or biomass.

...

A vaporizer is an excellent aromatherapy device that can be used with a wide range of biomasses*, essential oils and potpourri blends. Unlike traditional incense, no burning is required, which means that vaporizers release an aroma that is incredibly pure and fresh. In addition to aromatherapy, vaporizers are perfect for freshening the air in any environment with clean, natural scents. Vapor also has multiple uses in culinary settings, which range from flavoring dishes to titillating the diner's smell with vapor scented to compliment their meal.
I can only vouch that I have seen a guy vaporize into a balloon, then carry that balloon around for a few 'hits' and there was no smoke exhaled.

*indeed :mysteryma
 
Vaporizers are the latest thing. I have seen them in a lot of college-town head shops recently, and they were featured online in that hemp expo I linked.

MolBasser, is it safe to say that you are no longer disputing my assertion (that pro-"industrial hemp" advocates are really pro-marijuana legalization), or are you now deeming it off topic. (in a thread titled "the marijuana conspiracy," LOL)

How is that safe to say? I've never said it, nor have I used it in my arguments. You are putting words in my mouth.

Let's keep the discussion to why industrial hemp is being kept down by the government.

If you want to discuss your opinions that every hemp advocate is a marijuana advocate in disguise, that is your own issue to deal with.

And I have just tried to keep the discussion on track. If you want to discuss marijuana legalization then that is fine I guess, but for another thread.

Why don't you actually discuss the issue, rather than go off on tangents and make accusations? You are starting to sound like a twoofer, rather than a person that actually looks at items on their merit.

MolBasser
 
OK, I apologize, do let's get back to the original topic. :rolleyes:

The Marijuana Conspiracy
It has been alleged for years that the erradication of hemp from the US was a plot hatched by US robber barrons. I believe there is much credible evidence for this. Here's a nice start. Any comments? Thanks

http://www.tpuc.org/content/marijuana-conspiracy

"They say marijuana is dangerous. pot is not harmful to the human body or mind. marijuana does not pose a threat to the general public. Marijuana is very much a danger to the oil companies, alcohol, tobacco industries and a large number of chemical corporations. Big businesses, with plenty of dollars and influence, have suppressed the truth from the people. The truth is, if marijuana was utilized for its vast array of commercial products, it would create an industrial atomic bomb! The super rich have conspired to spread misinformation about the plant that, if used properly, would ruin their companies.

Carry on then. Nothing about marijuana in this thread.
 
The OP did not do anything for the argument. He was, as you rightly point out, a marijuana supporter trying to use the Hemp argument.

I took the discussion above that to where it belonged. Do not lump me in with him.

MolBasser
 
?

I'm limiting my discussion to the topic. Industrial hemp. If you want to tie in drugs, start another thread.

MolBasser, is it safe to say that you are no longer disputing my assertion (that pro-"industrial hemp" advocates are really pro-marijuana legalization), or are you now deeming it off topic. (in a thread titled "the marijuana conspiracy," LOL)

The OP did not do anything for the argument. He was, as you rightly point out, a marijuana supporter trying to use the Hemp argument.

I took the discussion above that to where it belonged. Do not lump me in with him.

MolBasser
OK, then. Maybe you would be better served constructing a better original topic. Perhaps with some links and an absence of paranoid conspiracy theories? I would suggest USA politics. PM me if you do please, I don't go there much.
 
Maybe you could just stay on topic?

That would work too.

There is nothing "paranoid" about the governments conspiracy to keep hemp illegal. It is all in the open.

MolBasser
 
I posted a snippet from the original topic here. Are you serious? Robber barons? Hemp would be an "atomic bomb" to the petrochemical industry? Marijuana, if legal, would ruin industrial companies? Maybe you could post some evidence that supports the original topic?
 
I posted a snippet from the original topic here. Are you serious? Robber barons? Hemp would be an "atomic bomb" to the petrochemical industry? Marijuana, if legal, would ruin industrial companies? Maybe you could post some evidence that supports the original topic?

According to Dandyone, a 10-20 acre parcel per person used to grow hemp would suffice to solve all problems.
It was pointed out that this would mean a world wide monoculture of hemp.
ETA: which I addressed Here
(that or we have to reduce the world population or level all mountain ranges to increase arable land mass - quite the mega-project)

Of course such a snake oil panacea is a fantasy.
 
Last edited:
No one in their right mind is going to say that it will solve all the world problems. That is not the issue.

The issue is that the government is conspiring to keep a useful product out of the stream due to drug paranoia.

MolBasser
 
Um, I have no idea, and apparently neither do you. It was not just a hemp processing facility.....

No hope for expansion? That is some strong language there.

Then tell me where the heck it is going to go? Paper? Oil? Fiberboard? Cloth? Food? In all those markets hemp runs a distant second best as the second choice or as a product that barely fills a tiny niche.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom