• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Crisis in Cosmology

Puppycow

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
34,254
Location
Yokohama, Japan
I checked to see whether there was already a thread about this, and there sort of was one a few years ago, but it didn't have a very snappy title and didn't get very many responses.

Anyway, what this is about is various observations that don't seem to agree with the Lamda CDM model of cosmology, which is the currently most widely accepted model of the universe.

This thread was mostly inspired by some YouTube videos I watched, but if you start a thread to discuss a YouTube video someone will inevitably come along and complain that they don't watch YouTube videos. So if you prefer the written word you can see this article on the topic (although I just noticed that even this article has an accompanying YouTube video):

Why is there a 'crisis' in cosmology?

The LCDM model
What's at stake here is our modern understanding of the history of the universe, as encapsulated by the so-called Lambda-CDM model, often abbreviated as LCDM.

But if you aren't allergic to YouTube, here's the videos on the topic that I can recommend. And these people aren't cranks, they're real scientists:


How we plan to solve the "Crisis in Cosmology" (Rebecca Smethurst, aka Dr. Becky, a British astrophysicist)


New Evidence against the Standard Model of Cosmology (Sabine Hossenfelder, a German theoretical physicist)


Is the strength of gravity really CONSTANT? | Solving the crisis in cosmology (Dr. Becky again)


I mean, if you have to question whether the strength of gravity might not be a universal constant, it seems like maybe they still haven't landed on a theory yet that explains all the observations in a tidy way.

Anyway, I don't know if there's any better model to be had, but the topic does interest me. I await a new line of evidence using gravitational waves emitted from merging neutron stars.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom