dash
Critical Thinker
- Joined
- Jan 30, 2008
- Messages
- 278
You continually make absolute statements like this. They are fallacious and undermine your argument. You are describing the catastrophic results of economic policy in perhaps the least socialist economy in the Western world (USA) and you are then extrapolating those problems to socialism as a principle and socialist/democratic countries in general. This does not match reality.
Socialist Western democracies are not experiencing these problems - at least not anywhere near to the same degree. Our biggest concern is how your recession is going to affect our productivity.
How is personal debt-loading and government debt-loading to the point of bankruptcy (aka the American model) anything but ignoring personal (and national) responsibility? Socialism is not the bogey-man; unrestrained capitalism and consumerism is. (Not to mention rampant imperialsm).
I'm speaking about America, not Canada. American socialism has run amok. Canadian, Europpean, I consider a big part of their problems as having been caused by economic pressure from the USA. USA pumps out dollars into the world economy, then muscles the other countries to do the same.
Canada -- I love Canada. I'm invested heavily there. I want Canada to succeed. I don't want any country to follow the USA's lead.
I'm in favor of each country deciding on its own how to run its affairs. Meaning if Canadians are happy with their government, more power to them. If they like elements of socialism combined with capitalism, great. Whatever works. I don't want the American Empire dictating world policy. I don't want One World Government. I don't want a New World Order. I want independent countries, each defending their borders, and free trade all around. They all cooperate to protect free trade. We do that and we'll all thrive.
Instead what we have is massive abuse of the US, as the controller of the world's (current) reserve currency, the US dollar. Then you have US military might used to bully other countries into going along with US dictates. It's ridiculous. I'm sick of paying for it all, one way or another. I'm sick of America's bad image. We're producing more terrorists than we're stopping. Did anyone ever ask what the terrorists are upset about?
They hate us for our freedom? What a joke. They hate us because we're meddling in their affairs. Propping up dictators because they go along with our economic policies. That's not free trade. That's empire. I want it to die. People the world over want freedom. Demonizing the middle east is just propaganda in action. It's 1984.
-Dave
