theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
Greg Abbott argued that 'political rhetoric' in court defending the law, at least when it was ruled against before the latest appeal.
I'd like to see the new ruling to see if it played a part in that decision as well. Maybe it seriously fooled an appeals court judge whether or not Abbott was serious in that line of argument.
It's not a matter of fooling the judge, it's a matter of demonstrating what the law allows. Nobody's fooling anybody when a criminal gets off on a technicality. Nobody was fooled when Capone got sent away for tax fraud instead of murder or racketeering.
"I'm against elective abortions. The law won't let me ban them outright, but it will let me restrict access by imposing strict health and safety requirements, so that's what I'm going to do."
"You're not fooling anyone! The truth is that you're against elective abortions!"
"What tipped you off? The part where I said I was against elective abortions?"
Last edited: