• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Tennessee: Execution of Christa Pike stayed!

All I'm saying is that if you think Pike should be executed it's OK to think that, but you don't need to lie about her to do it.
You don't get to call me a liar because I don't read or listen to interviews of brutal killers when they are trying to save their own necks. In all the time before she was trying to pull this hail mary stay of execution, had she been remorseful then? She has never once apologized to Colleens mother or family - that comes straight from Colleens's mother(unless she is a liar too). She was so sorry that she tried to do it again in prison. You can think and believe she is remorseful, but I don't have to. And that doesn't make me a liar.
 
You don't get to call me a liar because I don't read or listen to interviews of brutal killers when they are trying to save their own necks. In all the time before she was trying to pull this hail mary stay of execution, had she been remorseful then? She has never once apologized to Colleens mother or family - that comes straight from Colleens's mother(unless she is a liar too). She was so sorry that she tried to do it again in prison. You can think and believe she is remorseful, but I don't have to. And that doesn't make me a liar.
Therefore, it's right and good to kill Pike. Why, I bet you'd throw the lever yourself.
 
Therefore, it's right and good to kill Pike. Why, I bet you'd throw the lever yourself.
You also don't get to decide what I think or would do. I am not going to debate or get attacked by people who are anti DP. It isn't a debate about the DP. The fact is, TN screwed this royally and there is no debate about that either. But crista shouldn't be talked about like she is some misunderstood baby who had a tough childhood. Colleen and her family deserve the attention and sympathy. Period.
 
I won't debate it for several reasons. One, that isn't the point of the thread. Second, I am neither for nor against it. I hear good arguments on both sides. What you fail to understand is that I am not passionate about the death penalty, I am passionate about the case and people involved in it. I knew of this case long before this ◊◊◊◊ show popped up. I was hoping Colleen's mother would finally get some closure and maybe a bit of peace but TN screwed her out of that. But excusing all the murderous behavior of Christa and insulting the people who may think differently than you is sure to get a useful discussion going.
 
Is anybody here excusing that wretch's murderous behavior? Is so, point them out.

I have to wonder what good arguments you've heard in defense of the death penalty. But since we're
forbidden to debate the subject -- at least with you -- then let it go.
 
If you want to debate the death penalty so badly then maybe you should start a thread on it? To me, this thread is specifically about the Christa Pike case.
 
Here you go:

 
The Execution Business in the US is the mess it is because the Tech Bros of the time thought they could get fancy with new technology.
 
You don't get to call me a liar because I don't read or listen to interviews of brutal killers when they are trying to save their own necks. In all the time before she was trying to pull this hail mary stay of execution, had she been remorseful then? She has never once apologized to Colleens mother or family - that comes straight from Colleens's mother(unless she is a liar too). She was so sorry that she tried to do it again in prison. You can think and believe she is remorseful, but I don't have to. And that doesn't make me a liar.
There's no justification that can cover the practice of judicial murder for revenge* because, leaving all else aside, it is down the path towards stuff like murdering Hans and Sophie Scholl for handing out anti-war pamphlets.

*Being honest, that's the only valid justification for the death penalty, an eye for an eye, barbaric punishment.
 
There's no justification that can cover the practice of judicial murder for revenge* because, leaving all else aside, it is down the path towards stuff like murdering Hans and Sophie Scholl for handing out anti-war pamphlets.

*Being honest, that's the only valid justification for the death penalty, an eye for an eye, barbaric punishment.
And again, I am not here debating DP good or bad. But the problem is, she has proven that she can't be around other prisoners because she will try to kill them. But if you put her in a cell by herself, then people are crying about how that is inhumane. So the guards and other prisoners should be in danger from her for life because???? any punishment is inhumane? Can't win here. I mainly posted because I continue to object to how people want to excuse her actions saying she was a mistreated child. She was 18 - an adult legally here. Lots of people have bad childhoods and don't go on to torture an kill people. Abuse is not an excuse for what she has done. And what about trying to kill in prison? Still because she was a mistreated child? The sympathy and empathy should be squarely with Colleen's family and how this botched execution has affected them. That is my final opinion and say on this topic.
 
I'm glad this thread hasn't turned into a debate on the death penalty.

Except that, in this case, it can hardly fail to be a debate on that topic; there's not much
else at issue.
 
I do think at times different arguments are being confused here. Many here (I am one) are of the opinion that there should be no death penalty, for various reasons, and the debacle of Pike's botched execution is an added one. That's separate from discussion of her character, or the question of mitigation.

Here one might consider the issue of how much responsibility is apportioned to society in general, and how much to the individual, and we can get bogged down forever is issues of free will and whatnot, and the extent to which this kind of event is considered to be a society cleaning up its shortcomings by executing its mistakes. There's a lot of room for disagreement here, no doubt.

I'm quite willing to consider the likelihood that Pike is a terrible person, and that whatever excuses might be made for this, her character is irremediably warped. Whether you decide to call such a person insane, or just plain evil, or something else, the question of what to do with them will always be with us, as will be the question of what, if anything, can be done for their victims.

But I'd suggest that execution is clumsy, barbaric, often arbitrary and too often mistaken, but even if you were to accept those faults, the pseudo-moral dance we go through to reconcile it with what we think we believe makes it fatally unreliable.
 
You don't get to call me a liar because I don't read or listen to interviews of brutal killers when they are trying to save their own necks.
I do, if you tell lies in a post you make. You said she had never expressed any remorse. I showed that she had. That means your assertion was a lie. It seems you're now saying you simply weren't aware of her expressing any remorse. Now you are aware, so you won't make that mistake again. You're welcome.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom