• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Suggestions for e-book readers

I prefer actual books, but I've found that I've been collecting ebooks of various formats, and I do like to read in bed or in the tub. I just got an old cheap (actually free) laptop for that purpose. It's not as lightweight as something like a Kindle, but it works just fine.

Speaking of the Kindle--how did they come up with that name? I wonder what temperature is the flashpoint for the Kindle, and should someone release a newer version of Bradbury's Farenheit 451 to reflect that?
 
Resurrecting thread for new question.

Based on the advice received I got the Mobipocket reader and use it on my PDA and am liking it alot.

However, I have only gotten books so far from the cheap and free sites. I am interested in a new release that sells for the cheapest on Amazon's Kindle store (about $15 for a book released about a month ago).

Does anybody know if a download from the Kindle store will be compatible with the Mobipocket reader? Also, I know that Amazon is big on the DRM coding. Will that cause a problem if I download it to my desktop then copy it to my PDA?
 
The Kindle format is just a drm version of .mobi, so you can work around it.

Fronzel, I think you misunderstand. your link explains how to convert a .mobi file to a .azw file. I would like to buy a book from Amazon (which I assume would be in .azw format) and be able to read it on something other than a Kindle (specifically the Mobipocket reader for Windows Mobile)
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom