• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Studs and Snow Tires a ripoff?

Goose or Duck

  • Duck, Duck, Goose

    Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Duck, Duck, Grey Duck

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    1

patoco12

Scholar
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Messages
86
Well, it's that time of year again. Tire places have been advertising pretty hard about getting snow tires and/or studs, the media is reporting on the first snow/ice accidents of the year, and the local tire shop is swamped.

Why?

I grew up in cold, snowy Eastern Montana and we never changed tires for the winter. Some chains and a shovel were handy for offroading. Slowing down and changing driving habits are the best ways to avoid accidents.

I live in Idaho now where it is warmer and less snow, and the tire shops are crammed now. Here is the kicker: I'm the slowest driver on the road in snow. People still have summer driving habits in the snow and ice.

Here is the question: Do the tire shops hype of the importance of snow tires for sales and do the media hype up snow tires to avoid reporting that the latest people to be killed on the road were the result of careless driving??
 
Snow tires perform better than regular tires on snow and ice, so I'd say if you do a lot of winter driving they're worth it. Some are as good as studded tires, according to tests I've seen (Car and Driver did one, I think). Studs are frequently illegal due to the damage they do to the road surface, and chains aren't something you put on and leave on all winter.

That said, decent normal tires are way, way better than the near-slicks I see so many people driving with, and nothing can take the place of not driving like an idiot. Attention SUVers going 70 in a bliding snowstorm - the only thing 4 wheel drive lets you do better is accelerate. It does not help you see better, and everyone has 4 wheel brakes, ya know! Someday I hope to pull an Explorer out of a ditch with my 14 year old Civic...

I'm in lake-effect-snow belt Western Michigan, by the way, so I'm pretty familiar with the white stuff too.

did
 
SLOW DOWN. 10 miles per hour under the limit is the rule.

That's the secret to winter driving. Also, if you are driving in bad weather, and you hit a patch of ice, don't brake! I've seen more people who must be thinking, "whoa, it's ice, I'd better slow down......." right before they hit the rock ledge on the side of the road.

Make sure you have plenty of wiper fluid, and new wiper blades.

Let your anti locks do thier job, try them out before you need them so you know how different they feel. They won't stop you on ice, but you won't lose control. Just dodge things, it can be done.
 
kittynh said:
SLOW DOWN. 10 miles per hour under the limit is the rule.

That's the secret to winter driving. Also, if you are driving in bad weather, and you hit a patch of ice, don't brake! I've seen more people who must be thinking, "whoa, it's ice, I'd better slow down......." right before they hit the rock ledge on the side of the road.

Make sure you have plenty of wiper fluid, and new wiper blades.

Let your anti locks do thier job, try them out before you need them so you know how different they feel. They won't stop you on ice, but you won't lose control. Just dodge things, it can be done.

All wonderful advice. Allow me to give some more.

Gradual, that's the key in snow and ice, BE GRADUAL. Don't do anything fast, accelerate, slow down, turn, speed, ...

DO IT ALL GRADUALLY. GENTLY!
 
We have here a law that all cars have to use winter tires from November to March. Most use studded tires but also non-studded winter tires are legal. [I forgot to add: we also have season-dependent speed limits. On summer most major roads have 100 km/h limit (or 120 km/h if they have more than two lanes), but in winter the limits are dropped to 80 km/h.]

I say that is a very good thing and adds a lot to safety. A couple of times I've had to drive with summer tires on the first ice of autumn and, well, the difference is enormous. On a well-maintained road (ploughed, possibly salted) you can safely drive ~80 km/h with winter tires (much less during a snow storm, of course), but without them I wouldn't dare to drive faster than about 40 km/h, and that's already stretching the limits. I don't know how well chains on tires work in practice, my only experience of them was when I was 9 years old and living in Turkey. There we had to drive about 30 km/h when using them, but I don't know if this was more because of poor roads or of chains.

Of course, Finland has a really exceptional snow removal service. Even if it snows 10-15 cm in the evening, all major roads are ploughed before 8 am the next day.
 
jj said:


All wonderful advice. Allow me to give some more.

Gradual, that's the key in snow and ice, BE GRADUAL. Don't do anything fast, accelerate, slow down, turn, speed, ...

DO IT ALL GRADUALLY. GENTLY!

Drive as though there is an egg between your foot and the pedals - don't crush the egg, and you'll be golden.

Kitty - frequently 10 mph under the speed limit isn't enough - going 60 (the highway limit in MI is 70) in a blinding snowstorm is wacko. Drivers have got to know.

did
 
If you regularly drive through deep snow then snow tires really do help. You should mount four of them. If you want to go with just two put them on the drive wheels. (duh)

Most winter driving (October to April here in northern Saskatchewan) is done on dry but cold pavement. All season tires work very well.

Kitty's advice about testing your brakes is excellent and people should do that winter and summer. If you have ABS and are sometimes finding that you don't think your car will stop in time, check your tires. Worn out tires will usually show up under braking first.

My best winter driving tip is don't spin your tires. You want traction not to break traction. If you find yourself on a slippery incline or kind of stuck try this (works for automatics). Press the brake with your left foot. Lightly press the accelerator with your right with enough force that you feel it load up. Slowly start to release the brake until you start to move. I've driven by many stuck drivers who are just spinning their tires.
 
all wonderful advice!

I learned in Wisconsin to keep a winter kit in the car.

Space blankets, water, couple of bags of kitty litter (you can use it when winter in over), a small shovel, a small candle and tin can, flashlights, flares, first aid kit I've only needed the kitty litter (great for traction), but have pulled over and used the space blankets and flares for many a fellow motorist. The highest speed limit on roads I drive on is 50...

However, about one third of the roads in this part of the state are dirt (including mine!). They get to be real fun in the Spring when they turn to jello. Spring mud driving, now that's fun.
 
Winter tyres are good at low temperatures for many reasons. They have deeper pattern and has more grip consequently but the rubber also has another composition. It is softer than your normal tires. Basically when it gets cold your normal tires "freeze", they becomes harder and has less grip. So even if there are no snow winter tyres will still be better. But you allways has the option of driving (much) slower.

But please remember, even with winter tyres you still can't drive as you do in the summer. Drive slower. Over here there usually are a lot of 4x4 upside down at this time of year. The fools seems to think that a 4x4 is better on a slippery surface. Actually it is worse because it usually weighs app. twice as much as a regular car.

Re ABS brakes it is an extremely good idea to test them. My sister-in-law recently had a accident where she rammed another car from the back (yes she was driving to fast/to close), fortunately there was only material damage.

Afterwards she swore that her brakes had failed. She kept claiming that she braked like mad but the car kept going straight. After a while i got her to admit that the brake pedal "sorta rumbled"!!!!!!!!!!! AHA. ...........!

She had experienced the ABS system but she didn't know what it was. I made the promise then that when the first ice appeared i would find a vacated (iced)parking lot and show her how ABS brakes work.;)
 
Ove said:


Re ABS brakes it is an extremely good idea to test them.

And, don't forget that because of the federal regulations (they require ABS to stop you in a straight line, without having to do any steering corrections) ABS can't stop you as fast as optimally applied brakes.

ABS COULD, with different regs that require some steering, do better than anything a human could accomplish, it's already been implemented and tested with pretty much the same hardware.
 
My 4X4 Grand Cherokee does a great job in snow w/o special tires. And the best part is, for several weeks after a heavy snow when everyone else is digging out parking spaces and putting old furniture in the street to "save" them, I can just pick any unclaimed/unshoveled space and pull right in. Now you know why urban drivers need 4WD! :D

And, as everyone else is saying, slow down in snow and ice.
 
Ove said:
Over here there usually are a lot of 4x4 upside down at this time of year. The fools seems to think that a 4x4 is better on a slippery surface. Actually it is worse because it usually weighs app. twice as much as a regular car.

I'm glad to hear that "SUV Invulnerability Syndrome" isn't unique to the US.

Actually, though, weight isn't generally the issue; in fact, more weight usually helps by adding grip. The problem with "four wheel drive" (typically a vehicle that normally operates with rear-wheel drive, but can either manually or automatically switch to driving the front wheels as well) is that there isn't a center differential. This can actually cause skids, as the rear wheels and front wheels are locked together at the same speed, and in a turn, one pair has to slip. "All wheel drive" as in Subarus, Audis, and others, uses a center differential to allow the fronts and rears to turn at different rates.

did
 
diddidit said:
This can actually cause skids, as the rear wheels and front wheels are locked together at the same speed, and in a turn, one pair has to slip. "All wheel drive" as in Subarus, Audis, and others, uses a center differential to allow the fronts and rears to turn at different rates.did
My Jeep has part-time and full-time 4WD. The part time does lock the center differential, but in ful-time 4WD they are not locked, allowing the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds. Part-time 4WD shouldn't be used except in very low-traction conditions.
 
I'm glad to hear that "SUV Invulnerability Syndrome" isn't unique to the US.

No not by far, over here it is more the Range-Rover/Landcruiser type opposet to the pick-up type but the idea is the same.

Actually, though, weight isn't generally the issue; in fact, more weight usually helps by adding grip. The problem with "four wheel drive" (typically a vehicle that normally operates with rear-wheel drive, but can either manually or automatically switch to driving the front wheels as well) is that there isn't a center differential. This can actually cause skids, as the rear wheels and front wheels are locked together at the same speed, and in a turn, one pair has to slip. "All wheel drive" as in Subarus, Audis, and others, uses a center differential to allow the fronts and rears to turn at different rates. .

One of the main problems as far as i see them is that thanks to power steering/large engines/power brakes etc. the "feel" of driving theese large cars is not very different to that of driving a small car. It lures a lot of people to drive faster than they should because "it feels just like my old Audi". They don't notice that they typically has 1½ times the mass of their old car but still only the area of app. 4 coins connecting them to the ground.

AND not to forget, the centre of gravity is higher in those 4x4's and the suspension is softer. Well ok the latest Range Rover has some automatic buildt in the suspension that lowers the car and stiffens the suspension at speed but that is one of the latest models.

I saw a british car programme (5'th Gear) recently where they demonstrated how frightfully easy a 4x4 rolls over. they made a test with a Range Rover with a strengthened rollcage and a stunt driver simulating the situation where the driver in front of you suddenly stops and you have to take evasive action. At 70 km/hr the Range Rover Rolled twice and if they had not buildt in that rollcage the driver had been killed. AT 70 KM/HR. A lot of 4x4's i meet drive considerably faster.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A 4x4 is a wonderful thing if you are a country MD/VET/Farmer and you NEED to drive on rough roads but it is dangerous on normal roads. Actually the programme claimed that statistics prooved the fatalty rate to be higher in SUV's than in ordinary cars. Unfortunately i can't seem to find the programmes homepage.
 
OHH and by the way, the poll needs an option:

"It depends on your driving needs." (Do you NEED to drive each day?).
 
well, as someone who loves her little Subaru with the AWD, I can' tell you that it's all I need for even the deepest snows. I have a manual, and I find that being able to down shift gives me much more control.
 
well, as someone who loves her little Subaru with the AWD, I can' tell you that it's all I need for even the deepest snows. I have a manual, and I find that being able to down shift gives me much more control.

I do think you have that, but on a icy road you would be just as much in trouble as everybody else. Porbably worse since your car would be heavyer than average. ;) Think about it and drive carefully.:teacher:
 
oh dear, Denmark must have tiny cars...

People laugh at my bitty Subaru. In fact my only complaint is that I can't see at intersections because the SUVs tower over it. I take a lot of flack about driving an unsafe car, as if I get hit by the average car driven here ( a jumbo SUV) I'm a gonner. Me, I drive slow...and the few times my car has gone in a ditch, a few kind guys who usually pull over and myself are capable of pulling it out. I will say, I REALLY enjoy watching the Hummers in the ditch cause they think the Hummer can drive through anything, including ICE! If it's too icey, I don't go got work. In fact here, a school cancellation for snow is unheard of, but ice days we get.

I'm looking forward to being able to Xcountry on my roads again, that's the way to get around. And for ice, those new snow shoes are great (if it's really icey you don't sink in the snow). But, I don't think there's any vehicle that can do ice! (now watch someone is going to post some weird Russian ice mobile)
 
Actually, though, weight isn't generally the issue; in fact, more weight usually helps by adding grip.

Not completely true. When starting to move on a slippery surface weight is helpful. Once the vehicle is moving weight becomes a massive (pun intended) liability.

When it comes to turning and braking weight is your enemy. It's simply a matter of the amount of friction that can be created betwen tire and road surface has to offer enough work to overcome the weight. The more weight the more force needed. If the road and tire can't offer enough. Away you go. Slip slidin' away.

On the bald prairies when the roads get icy and the wind blows I've seen tractor trailer units blown off the road. They have plenty of weight and plenty of wind resistance.

Having said all that, I think the reality about the amount of trucks and SUVs in the ditch has more to do with driver atitude than any other single factor.
 
oh dear, Denmark must have tiny cars...

Yes that too but when you say 4x4 i allways think of something like a Land Rover, i have no idea off how big a Subaru is.:D
Having said all that, I think the reality about the amount of trucks and SUVs in the ditch has more to do with driver atitude than any other single factor.

EXACTLY.:clap: :clap:
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom