• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Student Suspended for Touching Pill

Yes, and no.

Ah right, it appears there's an exception to the "ignorance is not a defense" principle with regard to US drug laws. Thanks for the info; I stand corrected.


It seems like the school official here is just acting as a robot, with some kind of programmed algorithm that says "Student touches drugs means student gets suspended, no questions, no exceptions." I guess this is what happens when petty bureaucrats rule the world.

I agree.
 
Did anyone else see this thread and think it was about a pregnant girl who touched a Propecia pill?
 
Did anyone else see this thread and think it was about a pregnant girl who touched a Propecia pill?

:) I did for a second, then I thought, "why would kids be bringing a pill that controls male pattern hair loss to middle school? Is this the new pre-teen high?"

In other Propecia news, a co-worker recently told me that women shouldn't even look at the pill.
 
Yes, the mom did. I agree that if the parents get together they could demand changes to the zero tolerance policy. Getting this girl on the news isn't going to change the policy (the non-involved public's attention span is short) but it's certainly not going to make her very popular back at middle school.

I have to disagree and say that media attention can indeed help. 'Getting parents together' is a lot easier when the parents have been exposed to what the great big wider world thinks. It's the entire, 'sunlight as an anti-microbial' thing.

And if enough of these incidents are given exposure, broader changes can be driven for as well. One school district can change a bad policy if the parents can be made to see it is a bad policy. Getting the general consensus to change takes more.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom