• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

StopSylvia email: "help me stop Sylvia Browne!"

RSLancastr

www.StopSylvia.com
Joined
Sep 7, 2001
Messages
17,135
Location
Salem, Oregon
Received the following email at SSB, with the subject "Help me stop Sylvia Browne!":

Dear Mr. Lancaster,


I just discovered your website, and while I see that it hasn't been updated in quite some time, I still feel compelled to write you this e-mail. Thank you so much for arranging such a comprehensive collection of information about the veritable black-hole of human decency known as Sylvia Browne. For years, I've wondered how this woman is allowed to roam the streets. I'd happily see her locked up for fraud, interfering with police investigations, wasting police resources, and a host of other crimes she unabashedly commits in full view of the media/public/law enforcement no less. What does it say about us that this woman is able to run a completely unethical scam business relatively unchecked for so many years -- and not only that, but she makes a huge profit and has achieved celebrity status to boot.


I realize I'm preaching to the choir... but it certainly is nice to see somebody else who is as disturbed by her as I am.


The reason I am writing to you today is this: I'm visiting my parents for the holidays, and couldn't help but notice my mother as acquired a huge stack of Sylvia Browne books -- she's got at least six of them. I was aghast. In recent years, my mom's been getting swept up in all this new-agey psychic nonsense, and for the most part I've tried to ignore it because... whatever makes you happy, right? But this is just ridiculous!


Do you have friends and loved ones who are under the Sylvia Browne spell? How do you talk to them? I mean -- if my mom wants to fill her days with reading her horoscopes or playing with Tarot cards, fine. But I can't stand idly by while she believes Sylvia Browne is anything other than a soul-sucking monster. The problem is, I've found that people who believe in this crazy psychic stuff are just as dogmatic as people who believe in talking snakes/biblical nonsense. The whole psychic thing is a religion in it's own right, and the people who believe in it are pretty fervent, attaching a good chunk of their sense of identity to these pseudo-spiritual ideas.


Any advice on how to approach this conversation without it coming off as an attack on somebody's beliefs?


Thanks,
[name]

I'll post my reply later.
 
Last edited:
My reply:

[name]:

Thanks so much for writing.

I've found that the approach I take on the site (calmly examining the evidence, never "blaming the victim", and inviting the believer to research it and come to their own conclusion) is fairly effective in many (though not all) cases.

Perhaps if you sat with your mother at a computer and read some of the artcles on the site aloud, and then discussed them with her (in a non-judgemental way), it may help. Just remember that it is far more important for her to know that you love her than it is for her to realize that Sylvia is a fraud.

Best regards,

Robert S. Lancaster
 
Great reply, Robert.

First, I think your suggestion of inviting people to read and form their own conclusions is brilliant, as is sitting down with his mother and going over the articles.

The only thing I can add is that, in my own experience, it is usually best to deal only with one matter at a time. As you said, be nonjudgmental. Be tactful. Stick to the facts.

So if you have a loved one who is a Sylvia Browne believer and into the New Age, deal just with Sylvia Browne. And not, "All that stuff is crap and Browne is just another fake." But something that won't alienate them completely, like, "I've done some research into the New Age and it's not my place to condemn your beliefs but Sylvia Browne in particular has been fairly well demonstrated to be a fake. Check out www.stopsylvia." And then tell the Shawn Hornbeck story (facts) and point out the things Francine has inexplicably gotten wrong (more facts) when they inevitably point out that Browne is only human.

The next time you see them they will probably be into John Edward or someone else, but at least you've dealt with Browne. Then you can point out what you know about the next one. And so on.
 
Great reply, Robert.

Thanks, Ex-M!

I have relayed your advice to my correspondent, and have asked him/her to keep me updated on the situation regarding the mother.

I also spoke of your "credentials" regarding reasoning someone out of New Age beliefs.

As always, I did not share your name nor email address. :)
 
Received the following email at SSB, with the subject "Help me stop Sylvia Browne!":

...

The reason I am writing to you today is this: I'm visiting my parents for the holidays, and couldn't help but notice my mother as acquired a huge stack of Sylvia Browne books -- she's got at least six of them. I was aghast.

...


You had a similar reason to start the StopKaz website, IIRC.
 
I considered mentioning that to the correspondent, Mojo. But decided it would unneccesarily complicate my reply. Perhaps I will in a subsequent email.
 
Thanks, Ex-M!

I have relayed your advice to my correspondent, and have asked him/her to keep me updated on the situation regarding the mother.

I also spoke of your "credentials" regarding reasoning someone out of New Age beliefs.

As always, I did not share your name nor email address. :)

Sounds good.

His mom is lucky to have a son (or daughter) who cares enough to want to protect her. As was your own mom, with Kaz.
 
Thanks, Ex-M!

And I guess I'm lucky to have a mom who would inadvertently be the impetus for my entering into the world of creating Stop sites!
 
Would it be worth them reading the threads you have created here that are about e-mails you have received? Maybe she can do it in advance so she knows how others have reacted to your site.
 
Thanks RJ, but if I want the correspondent to see how others have reacted to my site, I can direct him/her to several articles on the site featuring such emails.
 
Post deleted for breaches of Rules 2, 9 and 11. Suggestions of violence, even if made sarcastically, may not be excessive or so descriptive as to be offensive.
Replying to this modbox in thread will be off topic  Posted By: Loss Leader
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom