• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Stand Your Ground (licence to kill)?

Thank you. That's two. I think most people fail to understand that human empathy is not monolithic and there are people who are not opposed to summary execution and cruel and unusual punishment. I would argue to those who are opposed to taking the law into their own hands that we ought not make it easier to for people to play judge, jury and executioner without consequence.

Technically, I suppose it would be murder. But it would be easy to get away with. I would just have to say he was going for my gun or something. I wouldn't even be arrested.

If you want to change that, well, good luck on your efforts to give benefit of the doubt to some piece of **** caught in the act of rape.
 
And you don't have to put up with all that military nonsense. Sounds fun and not a lot of risk.

I wouldn't be do it because I think it would be fun (I don't). But because pieces of **** rapists deserve to die and because the world is better place with them dead.
 
I wouldn't be do it because I think it would be fun (I don't). But because pieces of **** rapists deserve to die and because the world is better place with them dead.
Okay, perhaps not fun but you gotta admit it would be deeply satisfying right?
 
Last edited:
Okay, perhaps not fun but you gotta admit it would be deeply satisfying right? I'm not encouraging criminal behavior but it would be satisfying to cruise the night killing bad people. If you could get away with it why not? You would do that wouldn't you? What about torturing them? Do you fantasize about that also?

Satisfying the sense that I would feel that I did a good thing.

And I have no desire to seek out pieces of **** to kill. But if one breaks into my *********** house and rapes someone that I care about, yeah, I am going to kill him.
 
Satisfying the sense that I would feel that I did a good thing.

And I have no desire to seek out pieces of **** to kill. But if one breaks into my *********** house and rapes someone that I care about, yeah, I am going to kill him.
Thanks. You are probably a better person than I. I've no desire to kill anyone. I don't think killing someone is a good thing. It's probably just me though.

BTW: I edited my post with the torture and stuff because that was unfair and uncalled for. I regret having posted that and I apologize.
 
Thanks. You are probably a better person than I. I've no desire to kill anyone. I don't think killing someone is a good thing. It's probably just me though.

BTW: I edited my post with the torture and stuff because that was unfair and uncalled for. I regret having posted that and I apologize.

Don't worry about it.
 
Thanks. You are probably a better person than I. I've no desire to kill anyone. I don't think killing someone is a good thing. It's probably just me though.

.

Not better or worse, just different. And, it's not just you. I think things that harm/try to harm innocent people need to be permanently removed from any place/universe where they can do that. I distinguish personhood by that standard. I do not dislike people who do not agree with that standard but I choose to operate by it - even if the innocent person doesn't wish me to. I have religious friends, I have friends who do not believe in the death penalty ( and one at least who is not big on incarceration). I have no problem with their beliefs - I like the people as people. OR: good people are good people. Their actions tend to demonstrate that whatever they believe.
 
In all fairness I should add - there are also people who act in certain ways that put them in a related category: persons who I have no desire to kill BUT if they leave this plane of existence I am untroubled in any slight way by their leaving of it.
 
Not better or worse, just different. And, it's not just you. I think things that harm/try to harm innocent people need to be permanently removed from any place/universe where they can do that. I distinguish personhood by that standard. I do not dislike people who do not agree with that standard but I choose to operate by it - even if the innocent person doesn't wish me to. I have religious friends, I have friends who do not believe in the death penalty ( and one at least who is not big on incarceration). I have no problem with their beliefs - I like the people as people. OR: good people are good people. Their actions tend to demonstrate that whatever they believe.

In all fairness I should add - there are also people who act in certain ways that put them in a related category: persons who I have no desire to kill BUT if they leave this plane of existence I am untroubled in any slight way by their leaving of it.
The "better than" comment was rhetorical on my part. I know better. I was being snarky. And yeah, I understand that people are different. I've been studying mind sciences and human behavior for sometime. It's important to note that such sentiments are in part genetic predisposition but they are very much also environmental. I can accept that people are different but I also understand that change is possible. I've changed much of my perspective. I've had thoughts of revenge. It's not beyond me. I think that was my default when I was younger.

Having learned about the criminal mind and and learning about the difference between retributive justice and restorative justice, and the effects of South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission, I don't typically think that way anymore. I subscribe to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's thesis that evil resides in all of our hearts. This idea that a person is either good or bad and that he or she deserves death for committing a crime I find irrational. It doesn't appeal to the better angels of our nature.
 
Last edited:
My prediction, fwiw.

Zimmerman is going to end up being indicted, for second degree murder or manslaughter, SYG or not.

The one question I would really like to see answered at this point is how many of the previous 46 calls that Zimmerman made to 911 resulted in arrest, or resulted in an actual criminal investigation.
 
It's interesting how burglars running across Joe Horn's lawn gets twisted into running at Joe Horn.

Did you see it? Is there some place I can watch what happened for myself?

So far all I can go on is the detective who was sitting in his car who watched it, and what he said.

:D

So Texas does allow the use of deadly force to protect properly. Otherwise Joe Horn the idiot with a shotgun would have been charged with manslaughter.

The claim made earlier that various Supreme Court cases had found Texas statute 9.42 unconstitutional doesn't hold up.
Why would it have gone to court, and why would the detectives testimony have mattered if you can kill over property?
 
Last edited:
It's really more a castle doctrine issue, but....


Boulder DA: No charges against homeowner who shot intruder, CU student Zoey Ripple, 21

Citing the "make my day" law, officials announced Thursday that no charges will be filed against the man who shot Zoey Ripple, 21, after police say she drunkenly entered his home early Wednesday.

The Boulder County District Attorney's Office said prosecutors will decide in the next few days whether to file any trespassing or other charges against Ripple, who is listed as a University of Colorado student majoring in speech, language and hearing sciences.

...

Police said the husband and wife were in bed when they heard noises outside their exterior bedroom door at 3:30 a.m. Wednesday. The screen door was closed but unlocked.

In the darkness, they shouted to warn the intruder to leave and that they had a gun, but Ripple continued walking through the bedroom, and Justice fired one shot, police said.

When the homeowners turned on the lights, they saw Ripple on the floor with a gunshot wound to her hip and called 911, police said. They said they did not recognize her as anyone they knew.


Semi-hot coed, blindly drunk, headed for your bed...and you go for your handgun???

Oh, wait, the signifigant other was there...
 
I think they can pass on the trepassing charges, she's hopefully learned her lesson.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom