• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

South Carolina GOP debate was.....weird

Travis

Misanthrope of the Mountains
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
24,133
The South Carolina Tea Party challenger GOP debate was.......pretty interesting.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/art...y_Senate_Debate-_A_Cornucopia_of_Crazy_(Video)

We get things like this from Bill Connolly

...that the separation of church and state has led “atheism to be our national religion”; and that Congress should disband federal appeals courts that enforce church-state separation because “if you’re being biblical, you’re doing your job as a judge.”
​

And what about Climate Change?

Another memorable moment was when the moderator asked all four candidates to react to Sen. Graham’s former support for legislation to combat climate change.

The first candidate, businesswoman Nancy Mace, claimed that a recent freeze disproved the fact that climate change exists. Bright contended that climate change was a “scam” concocted by people out to make money. Another candidate, Richard Cash - who owns a “fleet of neighborhood ice cream trucks” —was “open to the idea that there’s possibly global warming,” but claimed that there’s not “enough evidence” yet to create policy. Connor, for his part, called climate change “gobbledygook,” a point he illustrated by asking everybody in the audience to take a deep breath and breathe it out, then telling them, “you’re putting carbon deposits in the air and you’re causing global warming.”
​

--------
And a roundup of the debate would not be complete without Cash’s opening statement, in which he edited Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech to be about banning abortion.
​

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...-impeaching-obama-and-re#sthash.26Z5wMzI.dpuf
 
Since you posted these observations on the Internet, Travis, and they make some Republicans look bad by pointing out what they actually said, I think you are now an official part of the "mainstream media"
 
The first candidate, businesswoman Nancy Mace, claimed that a recent freeze disproved the fact that climate change exists. Bright contended that climate change was a “scam” concocted by people out to make money. Another candidate, Richard Cash - who owns a “fleet of neighborhood ice cream trucks” —was “open to the idea that there’s possibly global warming,” but claimed that there’s not “enough evidence” yet to create policy. Connor, for his part, called climate change “gobbledygook,” a point he illustrated by asking everybody in the audience to take a deep breath and breathe it out, then telling them, “you’re putting carbon deposits in the air and you’re causing global warming.”

What a freaking disgrace. That's so blatantly stupid it makes the other candidates look like scholars by comparison.

(I'm betting this person is a Glenn Beck fan. Beck has done exactly the same thing)
 
I don't see what the complaint is against Travis. The Tea Party pretty much controls the GOP right now. If they hold a debate and explain their views, how is it out of bounds to criticize what they say? Don't these people have a good chance to become elected to actual office?

Honestly, it's not Travis' fault that the GOP has let the lunatics take over the asylum.
 
I don't see what the complaint is against Travis. The Tea Party pretty much controls the GOP right now. If they hold a debate and explain their views, how is it out of bounds to criticize what they say? Don't these people have a good chance to become elected to actual office?

Honestly, it's not Travis' fault that the GOP has let the lunatics take over the asylum.

Because these debates are for members of the party not the general public. They know they have to say different things to their party vsb the public and so can't be expected to support those views when you switch venues like that. It is like the scum who recorded Romney's speach when he talked about the 47% of Americans who are pure parasites.
 
The party is not made up of people from the general public?

And if elected they wouldn't be making laws that cover everyone?

I don't think the nature of their audience excuses them.
 
I agree. True, these folks are presumably speaking to the lunatic fringe. But... That lunatic fringe is getting people into primaries and those primary elections are what more and more reasonably-responsible GOP legislators are afraid of.
This is pretty much the view of all the political commentators I listen to, that sitting legislators are being held to the ultra-conservative line by constant threat of primary challenges by even more-conservative challengers....Who may well win.

You don't have to look too hard at the ranks of sitting legislators to see the lunatic fringe making inroads....
 
Care to comment on more examples of Republicans running for office saying crazy things.
Nope. Nor do I troll forums and blogs daily looking for stupid thinks the left comes up with. If I did, I'd be prolifically posting here daily. Drudgereport does a pretty good job of doing that.

So your issue isn't that they said these things but that I reported them.
See the above.

I don't see what the complaint is against Travis. The Tea Party pretty much controls the GOP right now. If they hold a debate and explain their views, how is it out of bounds to criticize what they say?
Did I say it was out of bounds to criticize stupidity? It's just that stupid things come from the left daily. I could post a story today on the stupid tweet out of MSNBC (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/msnbc-apologizes-for-controversial-tweet-about-conservatives-and-cheerios_b211908), but I'm not into the daily mocking thing from that Travis seems to take so much interest in.

Like I said, everyone needs a hobby.
 
Nope. Nor do I troll forums and blogs daily looking for stupid thinks the left comes up with. If I did, I'd be prolifically posting here daily. Drudgereport does a pretty good job of doing that.

See the above.

Did I say it was out of bounds to criticize stupidity? It's just that stupid things come from the left daily. I could post a story today on the stupid tweet out of MSNBC (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/msnbc-apologizes-for-controversial-tweet-about-conservatives-and-cheerios_b211908), but I'm not into the daily mocking thing from that Travis seems to take so much interest in.

Like I said, everyone needs a hobby.

Who in the MSNBC story is running for office?
 
Who in the MSNBC story is running for office?
"Stupid things from the left" is the criteria. Just like Travis looks for stupid things from the right. "Running for office" isn't a necessary criteria for his posts.
 
Did I say it was out of bounds to criticize stupidity? It's just that stupid things come from the left daily. I could post a story today on the stupid tweet out of MSNBC (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/msnbc-apologizes-for-controversial-tweet-about-conservatives-and-cheerios_b211908), but I'm not into the daily mocking thing from that Travis seems to take so much interest in.

Like I said, everyone needs a hobby.

You think a tweet from MSNBC is as crazy as what Travis posted? You do realize that the first commercial Cheerios put out was attacked by right wingers, right?
 
Because these debates are for members of the party not the general public. They know they have to say different things to their party vsb the public and so can't be expected to support those views when you switch venues like that. It is like the scum who recorded Romney's speach when he talked about the 47% of Americans who are pure parasites.

Are you saying the scum is the person who recorded that and not the person who SAID it??
 
You think a tweet from MSNBC is as crazy as what Travis posted? You do realize that the first commercial Cheerios put out was attacked by right wingers, right?
I think the daily practice of looking for examples of stupidity coming from the other side of one's political beliefs and posting them here to try to drum up some mockery is an odd hobby.
 
I think the daily practice of looking for examples of stupidity coming from the other side of one's political beliefs and posting them here to try to drum up some mockery is an odd hobby.

Translation: Yes, I know my fellow conservatives are crazy, but you're a big meany for pointing it out all the time.
 
I think the daily practice of looking for examples of stupidity coming from the other side of one's political beliefs and posting them here to try to drum up some mockery is an odd hobby.

FoxNews calls it a business.
 
I think the daily practice of looking for examples of stupidity coming from the other side of one's political beliefs and posting them here to try to drum up some mockery is an odd hobby.

No need to drum up mockery. This is what right wingers are actually saying about the Cheerios ad. If anything, MSNBC was being kind.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/art..._Accused_of_Racism_MSNBC_Instantly_Backs_Down

a disgusting ad. They keep trying to ram this garbage down our throats.

[…]

Are whites really that upset about this commercial?
For decades we have been inundated with favorable portrayals of black men on TV and in the movies.

[…]

this is exactly what gots Trayvon kilt.

[…]

Who hates black men/white women marriages more than anyone?
That’s right, black women. They are consumed with hatred for it.
But they are never called racists. Only whites are.

[…]

Well, you can’t blame them… their women sorta look like men

[…]

for Easter they’ll unveil a BI/GAY family - a black daddy and a white daddy, one a pimp

[…]

Obamas’ daddy was a street thug otherwise he would be a better human being

[…]

It would be more realistic if the mom weighed 350 lbs but the part with the dad laying on the couch midday is spot on. I bet it’s a week day too.

Again, you equate what MSNBC said to the utter crazy that is the Tea Party, especially when MSNBC was spot on?
 
Neally, if a Liberal said southerners are toothless freaks, I would take a stand against that person regardless of party because what they said is idiotic. Are you willing to stand up and say the people quoted in the OP are also idiots?

Just kidding. I know you won't do that.
 
Last edited:
Again, you equate what MSNBC said to the utter crazy that is the Tea Party, especially when MSNBC was spot on?
See, that's what we need to keep the mockery going. Good job!

Let's continue to encourage the comparison as to who can come up with the stupider things! We could have a contest. Get your cherry picks and get someone else to get theirs. Ita be fun! Travis could be the judge and jury.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom