• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Solar eclipse over NW Europe this Friday

Sunny in North Wales (what?), so good view through the special filters. I was lucky in 1999 to be in Northern France, so saw the total eclipse then, which really was an eerie feeling.

Lucky to be in France ? Have you lost your mind :D :p
 
Apart from a couple of cloudy minutes, superb viewing in Birmingham.

I was as popular at work as wobs' welders as I was the only one with eclipse glasses.
 
Thanks for that link to the live coverage. I was lucky enough to be awake and watch it right around the time of totality!
 
Great pictures.

I caught it on a slooh.com broadcast. It was clouded over at the Faroe Islands, and one could not see much of the event aside from its darkening. But Svalbard was clear, and one got a great view of the event.


Eclipses: Om Nom Nom Nom Nom: a picture I made in honor of a nearly-universal premodern belief about eclipses.

Richard Carrier had written on this issue as his master's thesis: Cultural History of the Lunar and Solar Eclipse in the Early Roman Empire -- understanding eclipses was an early scientific triumph, but many people continued to believe that eclipses are caused by sorcerers doing black magic on the Sun and the Moon.
 
Sunny & hazy here - not Ankh-Morpork... :)

I had bought the Sky at Night magazine & it had a pair of the very dark glasses for free, so actually was ably to keep checking as the dragon swallowed the sun. Fascinating!

I had been in Plymouth for the full eclipse, but we had heavy cloud back then, so, apart from the eerie shadow racing across the clouds only saw it on the news when I got home from work. :(

Shouldn't there be somebody here claiming Intelligent Design?
 
I was so set and ready...
Built a camera obscura and had my SLR on a tripod then showed proof of concept . See how the CO mapped the 2 glowing thingies in the light bulb? Here's with the SLR:

Just no sun to spot anything :(
 
I managed to nip out of work twice this morning to watch. Once at 9a.m when there was a sizeable bite out of the sun and again at 9.30 am for the peak. The clouds were just thin enough to allow some good viewing. Roll on 2026!
 
I took this shot in my garden in north Devon. There was low mist hanging over the village and so no need for a filter when a natural one did the job perfectly.
 

Attachments

  • final eclipse shot resized.jpg
    final eclipse shot resized.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
Met some friends tonight who also got peaks through thinner cloud layers than I had. Gnarf! Just 10 miles from where I was :boggled:
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom