Yeah, it would make sense if that is what had happened. Instead, the issue of being hit on wasn't part of the talk which bookitty linked above.
Linda
Well, that's sort of paraphrasing what a point in her speech was, where being hit on sometimes makes her feel "extraordinarily uncomfortable and even feel as though they are in danger."
Rebecca Watson
06.20.2011
"There is a small chance that this man meant nothing sexual in his comment, despite the fact that
I had clearly indicated my wish to go to bed (alone) and the fact that the bar had coffee and therefore there was absolutely zero reason to go to anyone’s hotel room to have it. Sure. There’s a chance.
But regardless, the point I was making was that people need to
be aware of how their comments might make someone feel extraordinarily uncomfortable and even feel as though they are in danger. This person
failed to recognize that even though I had been speaking about little else all day long."
http://skepchick.org/2011/06/about-mythbusters-robot-eyes-feminism-and-jokes/
So in a way, if a lady tells me she is concerned and bothered by these things then I would say she would not be the one to make such sexually charged comments too in such situations. I think this was the issue she is concerned about, as expressed in her above quote.
So I would still say that is the take away lesson for your son in this particular incident. I know if I see her, I won't be making such comments to her under similar circumstances. Clearly not her thing.
ETA Also, this comment is informative for your son, from a commenter on the same page of hers above:
aynsavoy
06.20.2011
"One assumption I am perfectly comfortable making is that, despite Rebecca’s prior assertions to the group that she wanted to go to bed, this individual thought that it would be a good idea to try to change her mind. Even if we decide that he had the best intentions in mind,
this decision shows a disregard for Rebecca’s expressed desires.I imagine that he decided to make his offer in the elevator, alone with her, so that if she rejected the invitation, he could keep his embarrassment to himself. However, it’s also a situation where, if she rejected his invitation and he reacted badly to that rejection, she could not get away. If you have to turn someone down–for anything–would you rather do it in a space where you can easily make your exit, or where you’re then trapped with that person for an indeterminate amount of time?"