• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Smoking should be banned universally

I focus on smoking because many smokers, but not all I admit, are totally selfish pig ignorant gits, who don't give a toss about others who don't smoke and have no nicotine addiction.
Unsupported anecdote, and something of an ad hom against the smokers here too, to boot.

Do you get it now? Just smoke well away and upwind from where you have any impact on those who don't wish to join you in your habit.
Why would I want to share my nicotine with you anyway? After all, I've paid the tax on it, not you. Hence, I don't smoke anywhere near smug, sanctimonious non-smokers.
 
Last edited:
Yup.I play in a band. It's Dafydd,one f, two d's

Sorry. I should be ashamed, having spent most of my working life selling ventilation systems to the Welsh.

What instrument do you play? (risking off topic here)
 
Sorry. I should be ashamed, having spent most of my working life selling ventilation systems to the Welsh.

What instrument do you play? (risking off topic here)

Deep breath. Guitar,fiddle,mandolin,banjo,cittern,appalachian dulcimer,lap steel,ukelele,harmonica and tin whistle. I have a sitar and various other exotic instruments. I can play anything with strings on it, it's all the same, you have a fretboard and you make the strings longer or shorter with your fingers.
 
Last edited:
Well there could be a relationship.

When they banned bearbating it died out, and I suppose too there will be a lot of bull-fighting arenas in Catelonia going out of business from January next year. Do we care?
You love your straw, don't you?

Are bull-fighting arenas the lynchpins of the local community, where people gather daily to share their lives and unwind? I don't think so.

ETA: you might now care about pub culture in Britain, but I do. Deeply. And I see happening before my own eyes something that I could not have ever imagined.
 
Last edited:
Unsupported anecdote, and something of an ad hom against the smoker here too, to boot. Well done.


Why would I want to share my nicotine with you anyway? After all, I've paid the tax on it, not you. Hence, I don't smoke anywhere near smug, sanctimonious non-smokers.

Of course it is an unsupported anecdote, it is an opinion in context, and you can guess from that I have had many unpleasant experiences in pubs and restaurants. No apologies!

Oh, and by the way, your last sentence is unprovable too, but I don't mind you not supporting it with evidence, in its context. It shall simply take your word on it.
 
You love your straw, don't you?

Are bull-fighting arenas the lynchpins of the local community, where people gather daily to share their lives and unwind? I don't think so.

ETA: you might now care about pub culture in Britain, but I do. Deeply. And I see happening before my own eyes something that I could not have ever imagined.

True, Hitler couldn't shut down the pubs but the European Council have managed it without firing a shot. The irony is that they are not even elected. Who voted for this? Nobody.
 
Last edited:
Deep breath. Guitar,fiddle,mandolin,banjo,cittern,appalachian dulcimer,lap steel,ukelele,harmonica and tin whistle. I have a sitar and various other exotic instruments. I can play anything with strings on it, it's all the same, you have a fretboard and you make the strings longer or shorter with your fingers.

Wow!

I'm drums, played with Jeff Beck, and have done the pubs and clubs in the UK, but partially retired. I taught my son who became the drummer in the Rumble Strips, you may or may not have heard of them.
 
Which one of Beck's line ups were you in? I knew one of his roadies, round about 1973-74.
 
Which one of Beck's line ups were you in? I knew one of his roadies, round about 1973-74.

It was in 1963 shortly before Jeff was famous with the Yardbirds. My band "The Rumbles" was looking for a new lead guitarist and I actually had the privilege of auditioning him for the task. He agreed to turn up at our next jamming session and his performance was totally jaw-dropping. It soon became apparent we were witnessing genius. We got on very well and he did several gigs with us before becoming unreliable and not turning up. His favourite band at the time was "The Ripcords". If you play some of their tracks you can soon tell from their guitar solos where Jeff sourced his rasping lead in "Hi Ho Silver Lining"

Here is the relevant bit from Wiki when we were together:

"Beck began his career in the 1960s. He joined "The Rumbles" a Croydon band in 1963 for a short period as lead guitarist, playing Gene Vincent and Buddy Holly songs, displaying a talent for mimicking guitar styles. His first appearance on vinyl was as a session guitarist on a 1964 Parlophone single by The Fitz and Startz entitled 'I'm Not Running Away' c/w 'So Sweet'."

I have also played support for Bill Hayley & the Comets, in the Chalons-Sur-Marne American Army base night club, in France, 1962
 
It was in 1963 shortly before Jeff was famous with the Yardbirds. My band "The Rumbles" was looking for a new lead guitarist and I actually had the privilege of auditioning him for the task. He agreed to turn up at our next jamming session and his performance was totally jaw-dropping. It soon became apparent we were witnessing genius. We got on very well and he did several gigs with us before becoming unreliable and not turning up. His favourite band at the time was "The Ripcords". If you play some of their tracks you can soon tell from their guitar solos where Jeff sourced his rasping lead in "Hi Ho Silver Lining"

Here is the relevant bit from Wiki when we were together:

"Beck began his career in the 1960s. He joined "The Rumbles" a Croydon band in 1963 for a short period as lead guitarist, playing Gene Vincent and Buddy Holly songs, displaying a talent for mimicking guitar styles. His first appearance on vinyl was as a session guitarist on a 1964 Parlophone single by The Fitz and Startz entitled 'I'm Not Running Away' c/w 'So Sweet'."

I have also played support for Bill Hayley & the Comets, in the Chalons-Sur-Marne American Army base night club, in France, 1962

The Tridents were later,I take it? Perhaps this should be private. The derail has lasted long enough.
 
Last edited:
Ah. That's not what you said. You said that making something annoying was "better than" banning it, which implies that you see at least some merit in the banning option. I misunderstood you.

It is better than banning it. Just like walking across the street safely is better than being hit by a car. I'm being pedantic here.

So you are coming from the angle that no-one should smoke anywhere because you don't like it? Even if it's their choice, no, make it really difficult for them to make them stop altogether because you think cigarettes are nasty, dirty, horrible, smelly things. :mad:

If you can eliminate a health risk safely, then it should be done. If we could make a virus that would kill all opium plants, I'd be for it too, assuming it could be safely done. I grant I dislike smoke, but that's not why I am saying this. It is for health concerns.

I personally dislike hate speech, clubbing, one night stands, trashy romance novels, etc, etc. That doesn't mean I think there should be laws against those things. Please note I am not saying those things are equivalent to each other in any way.

That addiction and how it works isn't fully explained.

Granted, but we know it affects some people more strongly than others.


No, good company is most of the human population, that bit that likes to get together and have a pint and a chin-wag.

I just don't know why you kept bringing animals into it.


Appeal to popularity. ;)

I wasn't saying they made me right. You just said I was in the minority. I do not believe I am. Even if I was, I would still advocate the same thing. I'm certainly in the minority when it comes to alcohol.


Oh, and although I don't think there's been any surveys done on numbers, there are plenty of people in the UK that support an amendment to the current blanket ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces.

I know in Ohio, where I am, we have a smoking ban and it was popular for whatever that is worth.

No, you really don't know what it's like over here on Friday and Saturday nights.

Granted. People dying is worse though.

Most people who drink don't a) batter their nearest and dearest; or b) die of alcohol poisoning.

Granted, but drinking makes those things more likely. It can also damage the brain, which is more common (though it is to a relatively small degree, I admit).

So why blame the alcohol? "It wasn't me, the Stella made me do it, Officer"

Alcohol, by lowering inhibitions, can make domestic abuse worse. That's a reasonable concern, I think.


Well, possibly, but not proven, but we'll get onto that. And if the smokers are outside, away from you sensitive non-smokers, or happily enscounced in their seedy private smoking clubs? Are we inflicting our SHS on you then?

It is proven. The articles that were cited above showed that.

Ideally, I'd prefer smokers didn't die from smoking either. It's a health risk for them.


At least we agree on something then.

Liberty matters. No, I don't support fighting to the death either, and definitely not as a public spectacle (I didn't mention anything about our two Fightclub members being in public) but it's a question of how much we think the State has a right to intervere in the private realm, aka what we do with our bodies and our lives as consenting adults. Not innocent by-standers, us.

I think it is reasonable for the State/People to prevent stupid, destructive behavior that results in death, even if it is entirely self-inflicted. Because it's ok to care about other people. I don't think it is different from seat belt laws, air bags, and other safety laws.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this.
 
And the liver problems that those yahoos will have later in life? Should we just ban everything and stay indoors and live on bread and water?

I'm just advocating that making the consuming of a POISON more difficult, isn't a bad thing. Sure, it's a mild toxin, but it is still a toxin.
 
If we could make a virus that would kill all opium plants, I'd be for it too, assuming it could be safely done.
Really? :eye-poppi One of the most useful analgesics known to man? You amaze me.

ps that SHS causes cancer is not proven:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/passive-smoking-does-not-cause-cancer-1347192.html

ETA: the epidemiological evidence:
The Evidence for Passive Smoking Theory

Of the 64 epidemiological papers that studied the effect of secondhand smoke on nonsmoking wives, 9 found a statistically significant positive association, 3 found a statistically significant negative association and the remaining 52 found no statistically significant association either way.
 
Last edited:
Really? :eye-poppi One of the most useful analgesics known to man? You amaze me.

I believe we have plenty of synthetic alternatives now. If that's wrong then I retract the statement.


Hmm, that link isn't working. The links a couple pages ago did strongly state that SHS was linked to cancer. The only thing in question was what the increased risk was.
 
If they significantly increase the likelihood of death or significant health problems, yes.

Like base jumping, skate boarding, rock climbing, eating a lot, lumber jacking, potholing, free fall parachuting, horse riding, playing Russian Roulette, scuba diving, free diving, etc. ?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom