• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Smartest man in the universe?

tarrou

Student
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
35
As I appreciate the insights on this forum as well as the insights of
Thomas P.M. Barnett, I would really like some comments on his world view.

I find myself agreeing with Mr. Barnett on every point he brings up, which obviously can't be healthy :rolleyes:.

This is why i seek the opinion of other intelligent individuals, and what better venue to query than the JREF?

I have read Barnett's 'Pentagons New Map', which is based on the brief given here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4689061169761152025
(+2 hours brief)

(Shorter version: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/33 *)

I would really like some comments on the videos presented above.
Is Thomas Barnett the smartest man in the universe? :D

Sincerley,

Tarrou, Denmark

* (If You watched the long version, watch this anyway)
 
I had never heard of Thomas Barnett until I clicked on the video link. Your question is begging for a sarcastic answer, so I clicked on the video planning to provide it.

Now, 23 minutes later, I have to admit that this guy seems pretty impressive, and I thought "It's too bad he wasn't in there telling the Bush administration what to do". But then I read on his web site that he was an adviser to the Pentagon from 2001 to 2003. What happened? Was his message ignored, or is he just a very convincing Monday-morning quarterback?
 
I recollect that the book was also written before Iraq II, and before Afghanistan, I think?

I saw him on TV several years ago, maybe the same video you link to? Pretty inciteful I thought. I especially like his concept that the army will need to be 10% war fighters, and 90% "peace fighters", to establish modern societies in places we win the war, but have a hard time winning the peace. Premonition, anybody?
 
Is Thomas Barnett the smartest man in the universe?
Definitely not. Surely there is an organism in this universe that far surpasses our intelligence.
 
I hate like hell saying this, but it is very reminiscent of Clancy's writing - the invincible force (particularly Rainbow and the OPFOR) in the Ryan series and the network people in NetForce series. Of course, he has only lent his name to the latter, but perhaps the part he threw into the mix was inspired by hearing Mr. Barrett.

A very impressive speaker/walker, by the way. His ideas and backup are impressive. Think about having that pre-empt your Monday night football.
 
...I thought "It's too bad he wasn't in there telling the Bush administration what to do". But then I read on his web site that he was an adviser to the Pentagon from 2001 to 2003. What happened? Was his message ignored, or is he just a very convincing Monday-morning quarterback?

Ah, I'm afraid it just wasn't the message that they were waiting to hear. They wanted to do Iraq now while the voters were hot, rather than after reorganizing the military. Rummy in particular probably didn't want any part of it.

Many, many people told them they were heading into an unplanned morass. Powell probably did, but they weren't listening to him, either. And here we are.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom