Rolfe
Adult human female
I knew I was having deja vu all over again....
Rolfe.
Rolfe.
No, just arguments from people who have the World's Largest Ideological Bias.Are there any sensible arguments against nationalised care? At all?
Interesting link via BoingBoing - Debunking Canadian Healthcare Myths, including the quite wonderful snippet that follows:
Interesting link via BoingBoing - Debunking Canadian Healthcare Myths, including the quite wonderful snippet that follows:
"Myth: Canada's health care system is a cumbersome bureaucracy.
The U.S. has the most bureaucratic health care system in the world. More than 31 percent of every dollar spent on health care in the U.S. goes to paperwork, overhead, CEO salaries, profits, etc. The provincial single-payer system in Canada operates with just a 1 percent overhead. Think about it. It is not necessary to spend a huge amount of money to decide who gets care and who doesn't when everybody is covered."
Are there any sensible arguments against nationalised care? At all?
The article was of course specifically about Canada, but I'm getting quite tired of listening to Americans who seem to think that the only possible alternative to what they have now is to adopt the Canadian system, warts and all. The Canadian system does seem to have some particular problems, which aren't evident in a number of other universal systems. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of the country that put a man on the moon to do an evaluation of all the current systems in operation around the globe, note their strengths and weaknesses, and learn something.
But no. Canada has such-and-such a problem. If we had universal healthcare we'd inevitably have exactly the same problem, so don't go there.
Blinkered, much?
Rolfe.
I gather it does vary from province to province though, and that there are restrictions on accessing private healthcare if you want it.
I think the latter is probably a hot-button issue with Americans. I don't see what their problem is. The idea of making private medicine illegal sounds violently unAmerican, and since even Britain allows it, the idea that the USA might somehow be brainwashed into going down that road is a bit risible really.
Rolfe.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
I note that when some specific alleged Canadian horror stories were posted in another thread, all the cases turned out to have been grossly misrepresented. My all-time favourite was the woman with Cushing's disease, a very slowly-progressing hormonal disorder, who was presented as having a brain tumour which would have killed her within a couple of weeks if she hadn't gone to the US for surgery.
I'm sure there are real horror stories - they occur in every system, including the US one. It was odd, though, that those presenting these examples apparently couldn't find any, and had to rely on misrepresentation to try to make their case.
Rolfe.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
I note that when some specific alleged Canadian horror stories were posted in another thread, all the cases turned out to have been grossly misrepresented. My all-time favourite was the woman with Cushing's disease, a very slowly-progressing hormonal disorder, who was presented as having a brain tumour which would have killed her within a couple of weeks if she hadn't gone to the US for surgery.
I'm sure there are real horror stories - they occur in every system, including the US one. It was odd, though, that those presenting these examples apparently couldn't find any, and had to rely on misrepresentation to try to make their case.
Rolfe.
The thing that struck me about the US horror stories was that they almost all seemed to be about lack of entitlement. People who for some reason had fallen through a crack in the system (and it's a pretty cracked system) and so had no way to access the healthcare they needed. There was absolutely bugger-all they could do, short of finding a sympathetic charity or selling everything they had to pay a fraction of the costs they would incur, then relying on Medicaid thereafter. They simply had no other recourse in the system.
In contrast, virtually all the horror stories involving universal healthcare systems seem to be about people who for some reason or another have not been given what they were or should have been entitled to. In this situation there is a great deal which can be done. Big fuss can be and is made, questions asked in parliament, judicial review, pressure to change the rules, the lot. And in fact such measures are frequently successful. Herceptin and many other drugs are now available as of right. People no longer have to wait many months for hip replacements and so on. We are about to see statutory waiting time entitlements for cancer care introduced.
The outcome of these cases is that in the US system, nothing changes. The crack remains, ready to catch its next victim. However in the universal healthcare systems the system itself can be fixed, for the benefit of all future patients. I know which one I'm thoroughly grateful to live under.
Rolfe.
Yesterday I learned that starting today, my health insurance premiums go up by $1200, all my co-payment and deductible amounts increase as well, and my level of coverage decreases. I'm not feeling all that warm and fuzzy about private health care or the wonders of the 'free market' at the moment.![]()
Yesterday I learned that starting today, my health insurance premiums go up by $1200, all my co-payment and deductible amounts increase as well, and my level of coverage decreases. I'm not feeling all that warm and fuzzy about private health care or the wonders of the 'free market' at the moment.![]()
Yesterday I learned that starting today, my health insurance premiums go up by $1200, all my co-payment and deductible amounts increase as well, and my level of coverage decreases. I'm not feeling all that warm and fuzzy about private health care or the wonders of the 'free market' at the moment.![]()
Indeed. Also, why do right-wingers in the US complain about people in left-wing countries falling through cracks in the system?In contrast, virtually all the horror stories involving universal healthcare systems seem to be about people who for some reason or another have not been given what they were or should have been entitled to. In this situation there is a great deal which can be done. Big fuss can be and is made, questions asked in parliament, judicial review, pressure to change the rules, the lot. And in fact such measures are frequently successful. Herceptin and many other drugs are now available as of right. People no longer have to wait many months for hip replacements and so on. We are about to see statutory waiting time entitlements for cancer care introduced.