Apparently, it is. But first, the clause in Medicare Plan D that Medicare is not allowed to negotiate the prices of drugs must get off the table. That's where you come in, Ziggy - write your Congreskritter! Tell your family, friends, neighbors to write them too.If it's so easy, then there's no reason government shouldn't do that first. So I'll wait for them to actually, you know, do it before I lend my support to any expansion of the system.
Of course, Ziggy knows. It astonishes me that he, and people like him who defend the current US system on ideological grounds, are wilfully "ignorant" of this, and must be told by a furriner.You know why Medicare can't negotiate the price of medicines. You must unless you live under a rock. The pharmaceutical industry spends gobs of money in Washington to see that such a practice is prohibited. They spend hundreds of millions of dollars to safeguard their billion dollar profits and grotesque executive pay.
Of course, Ziggy knows. It astonishes me that he, and people like him who defend the current US system on ideological grounds, are wilfully "ignorant" of this, and must be told by a furriner.
And it is likewise on me to decide what healthcare system I want to live under, not you. But you aren't shy about voicing your opinion anyways.
The glaringly obvious.....
Sure it is on you - with your fellow countrymen - to decide how you want to organize your society. It's just that I haven't seen any compelling arguments from you for the why you are happy with the current system.
You stated you though Medicare needed fixing; I just offered one avenue how you can fix it and cut down its costs.
But I'm a bit amazed why you like paying three times for your drugs
What astonishes me is that people living outside of the US feel like they have a stake in what we do domestically, become emotionally attached to seeing their preferred outcome even though it will not affect them, and get offended when someone does not share their values.
Is this really the game you want to play, ddt?
"Emotionally attached"? How so?
As I said in my previous post, sure it is your choice how you want your country to be run. I feel sorry, though, for the tens of millions of your countrymen who have to go through life uninsured.
Ah, I see. It's okay for them to catch something terminal and curl up their toes without healthcare if they're illegal immigrants
and of course if you're "only temporarily uninsured" (note no statistics supplied)
you'll not fall ill until you get back in the system.
No I'm not. I'd say, check out how health care is organized in the Netherlands. You're attributing to me a position I've never taken. We've had at least 30 years of public discussion on reform of the health care system, with lots of variants being discussed. However, the base line has always been: UHC - not necessarily government-run (it isn't now), but universal in its coverage.Wonder of wonders: I haven't offered any compelling arguments because I'm not happy with the current system. You aren't under the mistaken impression that a government takeover of healthcare is the only possible alternative, are you?
I keep being amazed that, according to (some) Americans, the politicians in Washington are so much worse than those in Ottawa, London, Paris or The Hague. Mind, a bit of distrust and disgust for politicians is universal.And I'd like to see that happen, regardless of what we do after that. But until it does, I have no reason to trust politicians with even more power, and every reason to think that putting even more of the healthcare system under their charge would be a complete mess.
Sorry. But what's your alternative? I haven't heard one yet.And I'm a bit amazed that you're attributing to me a position which I never expressed.
Evidence? Wiki doesn't mention that. That page has a lot of links to reports. "The uninsured - a Primer" mentions that 75% of the uninsured are long-term (> 1 year) uninsured. Oh, and the latest numbers are around 45 million uninsured people. That comes close to the total population of Britain (playing to the galleryA large fraction are only temporarily uninsured, many of them voluntarily (I've known a number), and a good portion of the long-term uninsured are illegal immigrants. The problem is not quite what you have evidently been led to believe.
I'm at a loss where Architect should have asked me for statistics.Note you didn't ask for statistics from ddt. Double standard much?
You're attributing to me a position I've never taken.
I keep being amazed that, according to (some) Americans, the politicians in Washington are so much worse than those in Ottawa, London, Paris or The Hague.
Sorry. But what's your alternative? I haven't heard one yet.
Wiki doesn't mention that.
"The uninsured - a Primer" mentions that 75% of the uninsured are long-term (> 1 year) uninsured.
And for the short-term uninsured: is it less bad when you catch a disease while in between jobs? And what effect does it have on their coverage in their next job?
What astonishes me is that people living outside ofthe US[insert random US-foe country] feel like they have a stake in what we do domestically, become emotionally attached to seeing their preferred outcome even though it will not affect them, and get offended when someone does not share their values
That post actually made me laugh out loud.![]()
Why?
Oh, it didn't seem like a question you really wanted an answer to. But I'll bite.No, unlike you, I'm asking a question about what you think, not making a claim in that regards.
You implied it by claiming that your Washington politicians can't run an affordable health care system, whereas the politicians in the other countries I mentioned apparently can.Really? Who said that? I didn't.
OK, fair enough. And after that? What about the multitude of parallel systems existing in the US?I've already mentioned a number of changes I'd like to see, starting with decoupling health insurance from employment.
I'm still missing your evidence. I, at least, did some searching for your claims.And if it's not on Wikipedia, it doesn't exist?
It doesn't define the words "long-term". I think going one year without health insurance is a pretty long term. To get back to your claims, two quotes from the report:I wouldn't use that cutoff to define "long-term". In fact, neither does that report.
andThe large majority of the uninsured (78%) are native or naturalized U.S. citizens.
So much for your claims about illegal immigrants and "temporarily uninsured".The majority of uninsured adults (75%) have gone without coverage for a period of at least one year.
That's the answer I expected. What period of time?If you have been uninsured, then providers can deny coverage for pre-existing conditions for a period of time, but they still cover other things, and after that time period is up, they have to cover the pre-existing conditions too.
I'm told that in the USA, the insurance companies routinely negotiate the prices they pay right down to cut-throat levels. At the same time, hospitals will charge an inflated list price to the self-payer. And one way or another, the hospitals have to cover their costs for treating the emergency cases that show up on their doorstep with no insurance and no assets.
You implied it by claiming that your Washington politicians can't run an affordable health care system, whereas the politicians in the other countries I mentioned apparently can.