In my "ideal system" nobody would be coerced through force to give handouts to others. I don't have a problem with handouts per say, just the use of force to extract them. In my "ideal system" people would would be responsible for themselves. If they couldn't because of back luck, poor planning, or what have you, charities funded through voluntary donations could pick up the slack. Now, I can't say (and neither can you) whether or not charities would be enough- but we are talking about ideal here. Perhaps if people didn't feel that it was the state's job to play nanny, people would feel compelled to voluntarily help their fellow man. My system is more ethical than your''s because nobody is compelled through force give out handouts.
We hear this quite often from Americans, it's as if it's some sort of brainwashing. No, I'd be absolutely perfectly ecstatically happy to give large donations to charity to fund the healthcare of the poor. I just don't like it that I don't have the choice not to. Not that I would choose not to if I had the choice, no, of course not....
OK, fine, we believe you. Maybe. You really, really would give at least as much as you pay in tax, if the tax were not deducted? Really.
What about the people on fairly low incomes, who get by but with only a little spare every month. Do you think that they would contribute voluntarily at the rate they are being taxed at? Or might they just say, I'm quite poor, let the rich people give the money?
What about the humungously rich? Some may be like Bill Gates and set up well-funded charitable trusts. Others, though, may just drop the odd few bucks in a collecting can and reckon they've done their duty. And others may decide that it's their money and they're going to keep it, end of.
And then consider that with charity, there is a choice in what to donate to. Maybe Bill Gates thinks that malaria and AIDS in Africa are more deserving of help than people who need hip replacements in the USA - and maybe he's right, but that won't help you if you need a hip replacement. Someone else may decide they want to give their money to the opera house, or the art gallery. Or perhaps - and this one really does make a difference - the charities with the cuddliest profiles get a lot of money while the Cinderella charities get little. Fine if you're a blind person needing a guide dog (that's always a popular one), too bad if you have schizophrenia. Catholic charities will refuse to give money to any medical system that provides contraception, or any hospital that performs abortions.
It's been tried. Even when medical resources were relatively cheap, before a lot of the things that cost big bucks were even invented, charities couldn't keep up with the need. And there was the perennial problem of the cuddly charities doing relatively well and the less cuddly ones struggling. And a significant proportion of the moderately well off didn't donate nearly as much as they "should". That, as was pointed out above, is why most of the universal health services were established.
That's what I mean by freeloading. Having a good income and reasonable wealth, and just keeping it all for yourself rather than contributing to society. Leaving it up to people with consciences to pay double - you hope, if you think about it at all. That's what taxation is designed to prevent.
Yes, everyone would be ever so virtuous and clearly on the path to heaven if they gave and gave and gave again for everything from the fire brigade to the public library to the Chinese embassy, without any element of compulsion. But human nature is human nature. People won't do it.
It's completely ridiculous to say, oh, all donations should be voluntary, and if enough money isn't rasied then the needly can just crawl away and die, because I really don't like the idea that I don't have a choice not to pay.
Why do so many Americans take this attitude? It's completely beyond me.
Rolfe.