boooeee
Dart Fener
- Joined
- Aug 14, 2002
- Messages
- 2,671
It just depends on what you consider a system "like those found in the UK." I think a universal system is absolutely necessary. I also think all the focus on single-payer and blaming the "evil" insurance companies for all of the problems is misplaced. A system similar to what the Netherlands uses, or even Germany, would work. Have the government "referee" the system at a national level, but not necessarily run it.
I'm in complete agreement with this. Make health insurance mandatory, provide premium assistance for those at the lower income levels, and prevent insurance companies from denying members for pre-existing conditions. It's a system that's been shown to work in other countries (no guarantee of success here, of course), and it wouldn't require a complete overhaul of our healthcare system. It also allows the majority of Americans to keep the coverage they already have. I'm probably a bit biased, since as an employee of one of those "evil" (non-profit) insurance companies, this means I would get to keep my job.
Another approach I've heard floated is to have the federal government tell each state that they have to implement universal healthcare, give the states a fairly free rein in determining exactly how to do that, provide some sort of baseline funding, and see what works. 50 laboratory experiments.
I find it odd that Oliver is so focused on single-payer healthcare in the US when his own country doesn't even have single-payer.