Rolfe
Adult human female
Single-payer is not about helping people. That's a meme for the common man. It's about entrenching people to be dependent on government. The only thing this has shown in other countries is how well it works for that purpose.
This very place is loaded with emotional defenders of removing freedom in exchange for the hot air of memes, which downplay or ignore the problems caused, such as slowing technological growth which will cause more deaths and suffering in the long run. Magnitudes more. Hundreds of economic experiments last century with billions of "test subjects" showed an unambiguous correlation in this area.
And the mantra of "single-payer" puts the complete lie to it. In some European countries, the government provides a base level of care, but you are free to pursue your own, superior care beyond that.
If this were about quality of medical care, the government would not be in the business of outlawing this.
It is exactly identical to the ludicrous proposition that, say, for retirement, you get your Social Security, but are not allowed to live off any other money. The government, and only the government shall provide for you. Got bank accounts? Tuff. Your kids inherit that someday. Or more likely we'll just seize it for you for the general good.
I now sit humbly awaiting the meme defense mechanisms of single payer to arrive. I will "have no evidence" or "am wrong", in spite of the hundreds of experiments done last century. Or medical people will "still work just as hard", a response that cynically turns them into slaves to be taken advantage of because of their desire to help, which is one of the most truly sickening positions I've ever heard, and won't be enough anyway. Or that the government "will make up the difference", which, completely neglecting the politics involved in directing money, nevertheless reduces profits (or what's the point) and it doesn't have enough money, anyway, to induce research on that level.
I think you are confusing two things here. I have not encountered anyone defending a system where nobody was allowed to purchase any healthcare other than that provided by the government. I entirely agree with you that this idea is oppressive, and what's more it won't work. Those of us who point out the advantages we enjoy in our universal systems are not insisting that citizens be prevented from spending their money on any damn thing they like.
If the US government is suggesting such a thing I'd be very surprised indeed, in fact I'd be astonished. For one, as I said, I think it won't work, and for another, I think it is something likely to be particularly resisted by the American people.
So, are you sure you're not attacking a straw man here?
Second, please tell me those freedoms you have at present which those of us living in countries with universal healthcare don't have? You can use the British NHS is you like, as that is regarded as one of the most centralised of all the universal systems.
Rolfe.