Q Very well. Is it not the case, Dr. Hayes, that if you had photographed PI/995 and the trapped material in May 1989, that Mr. Feraday would have had access to those photographs?
A I would imagine he would, yes. Most definitely.
Q And would those simply be Polaroid photographs that you took at that time, Dr. Hayes?
A It’s most unlikely they would be, no.
Q I see. Well, you can cast no light on the matter of why Mr. Feraday, in September 1989, would be relying, because of the short time interval, on dubious-quality Polaroid photographs?
A No, I can’t think of any explanation at all, certainly in view of the apparent interval of time. No.
Q So just to summarise your position on PT/35 B, according to the examination notes at page 51, this was discovered by you on the 12th of May 1989?
A Yes, it was.
Q Do you actually recall finding this fragment in the cloth which is referred to as PI/995?
A I think so. If I was -- it’s tempting to be too helpful in answering your question and saying clearly a very important piece, you must have a memory of it. You have flashbacks of certain important items that you’ve looked at. I question whether those are flashbacks to the correct case examination or another case examination. So although in my mind there is no question whatever that I did find it within this neckband, whether I have a clear recollection in my memory of teasing it out, I would prefer not to be too definite about it.
Q Are you saying you don’t recall having found this item trapped in the piece of cloth, Dr. Hayes, but are relying upon the notes you made at page 51?
A I think it’s reasonable to say in virtually all my recollections, after such a space of time, I am heavily dependent on my notes and the photographs.
Q And do I take it from that answer, Dr. Hayes, that you are not able to rely upon your recollection, but only upon the terms of the examination notes set out in what is now page 51 of 1497?
A I would prefer not to rely upon my recollections but, rather, to rely upon something more concrete.
Q Do I take it, then, that you have to rely upon what is written at page 51 of your examination notes and not your own recollection of this event?
A What is written on page 51 and the photograph, which, of course, does stir memories.
Q When you refer to “the photograph,” are you referring to photograph 117 in the report 181?
A Yes, I am.
Q And when was that photograph taken, Dr. Hayes?
A Well, I’m sure the information is available, but I can’t answer your question from my own knowledge. [....]
Q And do you know if the photographs which appear on the report 181 were taken as a complete set, or simply taken over a period of time related to your examination?
A I don’t think necessarily that either of your suggestions is true. I think what the situation was more likely to have been was the majority of the photographs were taken close to the time of an examination, but there would be some, particularly composite photographs and those relating to examination of some control samples, which may have been taken at a date later than when the examination of the component parts was carried out. [....]
Q And would you not normally take the step of recording [the condition of the sample] by way of a photograph before you actually began to intromit with the article or the material itself?
A Not necessarily so. It was my attempt to minimise the number of photographs, because otherwise one could spend all one’s time photographing, and not recording data.