• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged School Shooting in Atlanta

Not a bad idea. In the last 10 years there have been 150 deaths from school shootings in the US. As Australia is roughly one fifteenth the size of the US I would have expected 10 in the last decade. How many were there? Zero. In fact I can't find any records of anyone shot dead at a school here.

(Monash University, where two were killed, teaches adults who have left school, and does not meet the "school" definition here. But pedants can count these two if you wish).
None in the UK since Dunblane in 1996.
 
It's obvious that the real victims here are responsible gun owners being smeared by me and Fox News.

If only people like the OP would stop posting every single time someone shoots up a bunch of kids, we could go back to fondling our weapons cache like the good guys we are.

Damn you, OP! Why do you take such delight in this?

Witty repartee abounds here. Oh, and I apologize for messing up your thoughts, but I have actually never fondled a firearm - though I do work to keep them clean and ready for use. I do know why you take such delight in what you and a couple of others are doing lately, but forum rules (at least two of them) preclude my accurately describing same.
 
Witty repartee abounds here. Oh, and I apologize for messing up your thoughts, but I have actually never fondled a firearm - though I do work to keep them clean and ready for use. I do know why you take such delight in what you and a couple of others are doing lately, but forum rules (at least two of them) preclude my accurately describing same.

Your mistake is that you are confusing delight with bitter sarcasm. No one is happy to be posting about these events. We are simply reacting to them by mocking the anticipated apologia.

Feel free to describe this how you wish.
 
If only there were laws preventing 14 year olds from carrying guns to school!
 
If only there were laws preventing 14 year olds from carrying guns to school!

Yeah, that's exactly why the UK doesn't have school shootings.
A law against 14 year olds bringing them to school. :rolleyes:
 
Your mistake is that you are confusing delight with bitter sarcasm. No one is happy to be posting about these events. We are simply reacting to them by mocking the anticipated apologia.

Feel free to describe this how you wish.
Actually I am making/having no confusion. I have no trouble recognizing bitter sarcasm, light sarcasm and other appropriate. That you are upset is obvious. You may have missed that I am also upset. Our lack of meeting of the minds is more you hate guns for the only thing they do that you notice and I value them for all the other things they do except on the end that you notice.
 
Where did a 14 year old get a gun?
We will see, if the media doesn't lose interest. This one, you see, doesn't appear to fit the narrative.

Or... If only teachers were armed, eh ?
Have I ever claimed that arming teachers would be helpful in anything but a spree killer scenario?

Yeah, that's exactly why the UK doesn't have school shootings.
A law against 14 year olds bringing them to school. :rolleyes:
They had that little thing in Dunblane in 1996, did you forget that one? And their gun laws didn't stop that taxi driver from going postal a few years ago in Cumbria. Was there anyting left to ban in knee-jerk fashion after that incident?
 
To clear up, just in case "that I am also upset". I am extremely upset - I love kids and loathe anyone who would harm them - but no car, no gun, no oxygen and flammable material ever woke up one day and thought "Hey, I think I'll go out and run over/shoot/burn up a child today - only some people do that. I do not want cars, guns, air and wood (etc.) out of my world. I just want the prople who use or misuse them and hurt/kill children (and other innocents) out of it - and I want them to leave it knowing well that they did wrong where possible or leaving it before they can do such.
 
"An off-duty Atlanta police officer working as a school resource officer disarmed and apprehended the suspect immediately after the shooting, police Chief George Turner said."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/31/us/georgia-student-shot/

That armed guard shouldn't have been in the school. He just added another gun to the mix.
/sarcasm

The school also has metal detectors, be interesting to see how he got the gun inside. I'm guessing they're just hand-held wands, and the kid knew what areas they would and wouldn't wand.
 
To clear up, just in case "that I am also upset". I am extremely upset - I love kids and loathe anyone who would harm them - but no car, no gun, no oxygen and flammable material ever woke up one day and thought "Hey, I think I'll go out and run over/shoot/burn up a child today - only some people do that. I do not want cars, guns, air and wood (etc.) out of my world. I just want the prople who use or misuse them and hurt/kill children (and other innocents) out of it - and I want them to leave it knowing well that they did wrong where possible or leaving it before they can do such.

I suppose guns=oxygen to some people. Not sensible people though.
 
They had that little thing in Dunblane in 1996, did you forget that one?

Yes, that total of one school shooting they had in a 20-year period is proof positive that the UK's gun restrictions are a complete failure.
 
Universities are not schools in Australia (nothing like them in fact) but knock yourself out and include those two. That's two in history (that I can find) compared with 150 in just 10 years. Pretty sad commentary.

You said that Australia is 1/15th the size of the US, so you'd expect 10 in Australia. Well what is the margin of error? When you are working with numbers so small on one end, noise can make it seem like a much larger difference than it is.

This also assumes that the only difference in violent crime between the two countries are the gun control laws. Seeing as Australia had lower rates of such violence before the stricter laws, then the 'lower than expected' really isn't. It's right where it would be regardless.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom