• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Satanic D&D... for the kids!

If you wanted to move off of D&D, there are a host of other role playing systems out there that the kids may like. I'm currently playing a sci-fi game in the GURPS system where we're interstellar merchants with a planetary mafia on our tail and mysterious crystalline aliens roaming about. Not your typical dungeon crawl, but it's still a load of fun...
GURPS Traveller, perhaps?

Are you using my "Syndicate" rules from the Traveller COTI File Library? I'm known as Keklas Rekobah over there, btw.

Zombiebex: If you can get your hands on the first three rule books of the Classic Traveller system (a.k.a. "LBBs 1, 2, & 3"), you can cover everything from character generation, to starship building and commerce, to basic world design, to combat. There is just enough math involved (especially in starship movement), to justify the game's educational value.

If your class is in the Anaheim area, and you need some help getting set up, please let me know.
 
Maybe if you RPd it in a "what would Jeebus do/be" type mode
You would have to roll yourself a Paladin, and an even more nauseatingly sickly Goody goody one than most

Paladins Suck, Chaotic Evil FTW


Not even close. Chaotic Neutral all the way, baby. Then you get to do what you want. Bonus: You don't have to worry about Paladins slicing you up.
 
My aunt and uncle are, well, nuts (there's no real good way of putting it) about their religious beliefs. They take Catholicism to a new (previous?) level. Anyway, among their ideas is no fantasy genre stuff at all. No Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, anything of that sort, period.

I'm not sure if it is, or was, a part of Catholic doctrine, but at least that idea is out there. And with that in mind, I'd also suggest a shift from D&D to something with a different setting. You might be able to talk to someone about how D&D itself doesn't lead to Satanism, but I don't think you'd get anywhere with someone that has a blanket stance on all things fantasy/magic.
 
I'll second Apples to Apples, Fluxx, and Settlers of Catan. And I'll add the suggestion of a card game called Once Upon a Time (at least, I think that's what it's called. Check with your game store.

Meanwhile, my 8-year old daughter has rolled up her first character. I'm going to have it framed.

It makes a parent so proud....




You should cast the mind bondage spell on the parents. It will make them buy you $200 worth of new D&D figures and manuals.


Sounds to me like she already suffers from Feeblemind.
 
Oh yes, Fluxx is teh awesom! Cranium is pretty good too, though I'd make sure to get the Jr. version for the kids otherwise some of the Hum-dingers and stuff they just won't know the melodies of.
 
Urge to rant.... RISING...!

During my entire 21 years as a gamer (both role-playing and miniature wargaming), I've had to put up with my share of the whole "D&D is satanic" BS. Even though I never played a game of D&D in my life--I always preferred sci-fi games like Star Frontiers and Traveller--it didn't matter. I was obviously a Satanist by association. Needless to say, this behavior on the part of the religious has done little to endear them to me. nor has it given me reason to respect them. When you whiz on my hobbies, you whiz on me. Therefore, I get to whiz on you.:mad:

What amazes is me just how supersticious the religious can sometimes be--I mean, besides the usual bullcrap about God, Heaven, miracles, etc.. The sort like this woman actually BELIEVES that black magic is real and somehow that you can actually cast curses and hexes in role-playing games rules! Take our old "friend" Jack Chick for instance:

Another contention, often shared with me in email, is that there is nothing like real magic in the game. People who say that evidently have a very limited understanding of magic. Any serious sorcerer will tell you that magic can be as baroque or as simple as the magician him- or herself wishes.


Folk magic is usually pretty simple and rustic. Ceremonial magic can be very "high church" with robes, incense and elaborate rites that can take weeks to complete. Witchcraft is somewhere in the middle, depending on the tradition you are working in. Finally, true hermetic magic involves little more than the human mind....


...Now, admittedly, few people who play D&D actually intend to do magic when they play. But I knew some who did, and even today I have corresponded with people who were gamers and also active magicians on the "inner planes." If you are a gamer, you might be playing with such an individual.
Sigh... I think the inanity of Chick and his fellow fundies speaks for itself.:(

I can't really tell you what to do about this, zombiebex. If I know anything about the tyranny that is "customer service," you'll have to give up your games to placate this Jebus-freak cow. In your boss' mind, tis better to spoil the fun of some than to lose one cent in revenue due to an angry customer... no matter how delusional and vindictive they truly are. It's moments like that when I could almost hate capitalism.

The only thing I could recommend is perhaps setting up a Junior Role Player's Group. Talk to the hopefully sympathetic parents of your current crop of players and set up a time and place to met where you can continue your fun without rising the ire of Bible-humping soccer moms. (Who I find can be more overbearing and overprotective than regular soccer moms. The imagined fear for well being their spawn is amplified by their religiousity.)

As Arkan pointed out, it could be worse. You could have been caught playing Call of Cthulhu. (Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!) Despite D&D's diabolical reputation, I find it's actually pretty weak tea with it's generic, Tolkien rip-off setting. If you want a fantasy rpg that will really send the fundies into a seizure of indignant zeal, try one of the many incarnations of Empire Of The Petal Throne. Besides the usual swords and sorcery, the setting features public nudity, unrepressed sexuality and polygamy, recreational drug use, religious-based prostitution, and even some of the "good" gods the PCs can worship require the occasional human sacrifice!

It's blasphemous! It's obscene! I highly recommend it! :D
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, gang.

Today, alas, was a hectic day and I didn't get a chance to snag the boss lady.

And as much as I'd like to really get the kids into all the aspects of the game rather than the simplistic way we've been at it, I don't have the time to sit with them and focus on a real campaign. This is about six boys in a group of thirty, and I am always up and running across the room to handle a fight/injury/mess/snack/parent every five minutes or so. Meh.

Also, it's been so damn long since I've played myself, I've forgotten a lot of the intricacies of the game.

I'll look into these games, definitely. GURPS is a great idea, I have that one and the kids might enjoy coming up with a setting of their own, (I predict a Naruto-esque setting.) and I also have the LOTR RPG, some Vampire:TM that prooobably wouldn't be appropriate, along with d20 Modern. I'll have to fish through the library some more. I've been tempted to bring in my precious board game Talisman, but I would die if anything happened to that game, and I don't trust these little buggers with my good stuff.


As far as being an (GASP) atheist, I have been reading the God Delusion on my break lately... in a restaurant, not in the center. I also have my "I'm straight, not narrow" bumper sticker, so if any nutter parent were to watch me too closely... yeeeeah, I'm pretty much screwed.
 
Yeah who wants their kids to think and use imagination? Wouldn't want to give them the weapons to destroy the religion we're clutching so tightly to.

You could ask them how imaginary magic in those books is any differnt from the imaginary magic in the bible :D

Oh and kudos for you for introducing it to them.
 
Last edited:
They are threatened because they have blind faith.

In D&D there are imaginary gods and superpowers that people imagine to be real.

Hmmm...


The only difference is in D&D gods will answer your prayers when they are not busy turning you into an ashtray and the like.
 
I went to Catholic school for all 13 years of my schooling life, and the only two times I was ever suspended were in grade 7 and 8, when I brought in a ouija board and played D&D at school, respectively.

Strangely, RPGs contributed greatly to my later-life atheism, because once you make up entire worlds, pantheons, backstories, metaplots, characters, and so on, you really develop a keen understanding of just how much pure mythology religion is, and that none of it is particularly special.

One of my favourite literary stories from the Bible is Jesus at Gethsemane, but early on I mentioned to my mother that I gave it the same real-world weight as I did the background story on my level 15 Fighter/Ninja.

Hey, I was friggin' 12. ;)

Interestingly, while D&D games were banned, they had no problem with us playing Car Wars, a post-apocalyptic setting that was basically Grand Theft Auto with far more vehicular mounted guns. :)
 
They are threatened because they have blind faith.

In D&D there are imaginary gods and superpowers that people imagine to be real.

Hmmm...


The only difference is in D&D gods will answer your prayers when they are not busy turning you into an ashtray and the like.

Also, the real-world death rates for people following D&D are far less, in total and per capita, than that for followers of other religions.


For what it's worth.
 
Here is a Wikipedia Article on the danged fool idjit that started the whole "D&D == EVIL" issue.

It begins with "The steam tunnel incident refers not to a single event, but rather to a set of urban myths..."
 
Last edited:
Ahhh Car Wars! Many an afternoon was spent with friends blowing each other away at the Mudville autoduelling arena or chasing motor cycle gangs away from fortress towns. Great fun!

Then Steve Jackson Games bogged the whole game down with supplemental material (semis, trailers, helicopters, jet fighters, boats, hydrofoils, hovercraft, tanks...) until it became no fun anymore.

Then we discovered Battletech and many an afternoon was spent was spent was with friends, blowing each other away at the Solaris arena or defending cites from mercenary units. Great fun!

Until FASA started adding powergaming cheese like Star League-era technology and (worse) the Clans until it become no fun anymore.

I then tried Star Fleet Battles... that was always no fun unless you're an accountant who happens to like Star Trek space combat.

These days, I tend to stick to either rules that are less than 100 pages long and are confined to one book, or rules that have been out of print for decades.
 
Last edited:
...As Arkan pointed out, it could be worse. You could have been caught playing Call of Cthulhu. (Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!) Despite D&D's diabolical reputation, I find it's actually pretty weak tea with it's generic, Tolkien rip-off setting...

DM: Okay, so you unroll the scroll and cast "Read Languages." After the spell goes off, you determine that only one word is on the scroll, three times in succession. This is what it says.

[DM hands Player a slip of paper]

PLAYER: That's it?!! Just "Hastur Hastur Hastur"?!!

DM: BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!


Ah ... I miss the good old days.
 
Please report to the nearest termination center immediately.

Citizen, knowledge of <Censored> is prohibited to someone of your security clearance. Please report to <Censored> for <Censored>.

The computer thanks you for your prompt attention to this <Censored>.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom