D'rok
Free Barbarian on The Land
- Joined
- Dec 29, 2006
- Messages
- 6,399
you could show them this, lol
Love it! Great update of the original:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5331429585309819856
you could show them this, lol
If you do go to your boss and explain the situation to them I wouldn't mention the Harry Potter thing about that girl's parent. That way if D+D gets shutdown you'll have a fall back activity.![]()
You're probably going to have to stop the game, unfortunately. Ignorant angry parents tend to cause a lot of damage when they get going and it's unusual a boss is going to risk losing a client just to make his employees happy.
I think this is a good solution.If you wanted to move off of D&D, there are a host of other role playing systems out there that the kids may like. I'm currently playing a sci-fi game in the GURPS system where we're interstellar merchants with a planetary mafia on our tail and mysterious crystalline aliens roaming about. Not your typical dungeon crawl, but it's still a load of fun.
As a nice bonus, our GM lets us earn experience by writing about what happened in the previous session. Most write letters home, but I'm taking the opportunity to try and improve my writing skills by turning out 3-5 pages of short fiction. Might be fun to let the kids do the same.
I work at a day care center, and the second half of my day with with a large group of school age children, mostly boys, who come to the center after school until their parents pick them up.
In an attempt to keep the boys occupied and to keep them from their usual bullying, fighting over the video games, and destructive boredom, I dusted off my old Dungeons and Dragons books, hauled them into work, and whipped up a simplified version of the game for the boys, aged about 9-11. They're hooked. They love it. They love making characters, they're always calling me over to roll up a monster and help them level. I'm thrilled that they're getting along, that they look forward to coming, and they're being creative and using math skills at the same time.
Well, the inevitable happened today. The parent of a girl who doesn't even play complained that the game was Satanic to a co-worker. The co-worker knows diddly squat about the game, and carried the complaint onto me. I said "Dungeons and Dragons is about as Satanic as Harry Potter." I should have expected the reply, "Well, her mom doesn't let her read Harry Potter, either."
Now I'm afraid the other shoe is going to drop when the parent inevitably goes to the boss with these complaints.
Any thoughts? What should I argue when asked about the Satanic nature of this silly little role playing game by the boss, the parents, and the kids?
Better to keep your hands on the kids, as much as possible...
Are you sure that's good advice?
Paladins Suck, Chaotic Evil FTW
I second the Catan recommendation, and add:
- Carcasonne
- Puerto Rico
- Power Grid
- Caylus
- El Grande
- Ticket to Ride
- Tigris and Euphrates
- Munchkin
Some of these are better for older kids, but I'm sure yours will find them fun too. Lots of critical thinking, maths, strategy, pattern recognition, resource management and the occasional bit of ruthless back-stabbing!
Want to have a lot of fun playing a Pally? Instead of going the King Arthur & KotRT route, or the pompous self-righteous route; go for the fanatical Spanish Inquisition route. Your group-mates will fear you, even if you are lawful-good.Hey!!!! I loved the Paladin class in D&D. I was quite good, too.
.....but now that I'm older, I'm playing World of Warcraft, and I'm playing a Rogue.....
....go figure.
![]()