• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Rename the human species!

Homo descriptio perhaps? (describing man?)

Not really that descriptive of us as a species though is it.

Homo depilis? (hairless man?)
 
I don't know if I'd keep the Pan, but the narrans part is good. I can't remember the justification for making Homo a synonym for Pan, but I did enjoy the read. Should grab them again I think.
 
Biologists used to think that only humans had tools, then they found animals that used and created tools. Then they thought humans were the only ones to use language, now that seems like a quaint notion. There are lots of other 'humans only' traits that in retrospect are not quite so unique to us. Perhaps though the only thing humans can do, or do, that other animals do not, is tell time and think in symbols. That being the case here are three options.

Homo Abstractus
Homo Tempus
Homo Symbolicus

I like Homo Tempus myself. Kind of seems like a reminder that pretty much all species eventually end.
 
To emphasis the fact that we're all one species and race is based on totally irrelevant physical trivia, I suggest "Homo Geneous."

Or for those who agree with the above sentiments, but still wants to accord the human race an exhalted level of intellectuality, we could spell that "Homo Genius."
 
Maybe not. But it doesn't take away the fact that we are the most intelligent and capably rational species that ever lived.....

And judge ourselves by exactly that criterion :).(Not that you or I do, of course.)

A future intelligent species (once it gets over denying we ever existed) will probably conclude that we're somewhat lacking - after all, they'll be there and we won't. The species after them might develop some perspective.

Prove me wrong, Home sapiens sapiens.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom