• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Remarried Catholics must live as "brother and sister"

catsmate

No longer the 1
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
36,841
And that means no sex, not kinky incest fantasies.
According to Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia anyway, who's issued his interpretation of Pope Francius's Amoris Laetitia and states that divorced couples who remarry must permanently abstain from sex.
Not that the good bish discriminates; same-sex couple (they "produce moral confusion in the community") and unmarried straight couples must also refrain. His newly issued guidelines explain that anyone can be in a successful heterosexual marriage with kids even with "some degree of same-sex attraction". Those guidelines. [PDF]

Also priests in his archdiocese are also required to endeavour to break up cohabiting couples, irrespective of how long they've been together or if children are involved, if one partner is reluctant to get married. The justification is that this reluctance shows they are "lacking in maturity" [insufficient space for all the appropriate smilies].

Guardian.
National Catholic Reporter.
Philadelphia Inquirer.
 
And that means no sex, not kinky incest fantasies.
According to Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia anyway, who's issued his interpretation of Pope Francius's Amoris Laetitia and states that divorced couples who remarry must permanently abstain from sex.
Not that the good bish discriminates; same-sex couple (they "produce moral confusion in the community") and unmarried straight couples must also refrain. His newly issued guidelines explain that anyone can be in a successful heterosexual marriage with kids even with "some degree of same-sex attraction". Those guidelines. [PDF]

Also priests in his archdiocese are also required to endeavour to break up cohabiting couples, irrespective of how long they've been together or if children are involved, if one partner is reluctant to get married. The justification is that this reluctance shows they are "lacking in maturity" [insufficient space for all the appropriate smilies].

Guardian.
National Catholic Reporter.
Philadelphia Inquirer.

Do we need any more examples of how out of touch the Catholic Church is?
 
Hey that is only if they divorced, as long as their marriage ended properly in death they can have all the sex they want.
 
This is, as far as I know, wholly consistent with Catholic doctrine. I don't see why everybody's acting so surprised.
 
This is, as far as I know, wholly consistent with Catholic doctrine. I don't see why everybody's acting so surprised.
21st century and all. I mean, priests are even allowed to marry now . . .

Wait.
 
Also priests in his archdiocese are also required to endeavour to break up cohabiting couples, irrespective of how long they've been together or if children are involved, if one partner is reluctant to get married. The justification is that this reluctance shows they are "lacking in maturity" [insufficient space for all the appropriate smilies].


Where would these reluctant couples get married if they caved to the priests demand? Would they find a suitable venue at no cost..?
 
It's important to do this so that Bronze Age property laws can still be followed. Tradition is important after all.
 
Marriage, divorce, and remarriage forms one of the most contentious topics in the church I grew up in, as well. A lot of folks think a second marriage disqualifies a man from leadership even if the first divorce was "Scriptural" (that is, following adultery). And some busybodies seem to think that everyone else's marriage status is their own business.

I understand the Elders speaking to cohabiting couples about marriage, but some of the controversies that come up, I don't get at all.
 
Yeah, I'm sure they get right on that.

At least he didn't say as priest and altar boy.
Chaput has been heavily criticised for his secretive investigations into allegations of sexual abuse of children, for attempting to block changes to the law on statute limitations on suits and criminal charges, and for assisting offenders. For example the archdiocese stood bail for William Lynn in 2014 and Chaput threatened a state representative (Jamie Santora) with unspecified "consequences" for supporting legislative changes. He also accused Santora of "betraying the church", a tactic he previously used in Colorado.
 
21st century and all. I mean, priests are even allowed to marry now . . .

Wait.
I didn't say that it was good or right, I said that it was consistent with Catholic doctrine.

The only people who ought to be surprised that this doctrine exists are people who have no understanding of the Catholic approach to sex and marriage.
 
It bewilders me. Not sure why you'd call it "marriage" at all if sex is prohibited.
 
I didn't say that it was good or right, I said that it was consistent with Catholic doctrine.

The only people who ought to be surprised that this doctrine exists are people who have no understanding of the Catholic approach to sex and marriage.

Wasn't implying you were, merely observing the fact that it is 2016 and the rcc in many ways operates as if it's 1016. I mean birth control, c'mon already.
 
Is he also advocating the stoning of rebellious children?
 
Last edited:
I believe the RCC frowns on necrophilia. Despite the fetishisation of "saintly" remains.

You are still a good catholic for having sex with your second living wife after you bury the first. It isn't screwing multiple people it is having multiple people you have screwed alive.
 
Wasn't implying you were, merely observing the fact that it is 2016 and the rcc in many ways operates as if it's 1016. I mean birth control, c'mon already.

No they don't. The were a lot less involved in marriage then, as it wasn't a sacrament yet.
 
It bewilders me. Not sure why you'd call it "marriage" at all if sex is prohibited.

Especially since the opposition to same-sex marriage was based on the premise that the purpose of marriage was procreation, and that without the possibility of procreation it should be disallowed.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom