calebprime
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jul 5, 2006
- Messages
- 13,001
The next chapter is, as far as I can tell, a bad or arbitrary idea which can act as a kind of control or generator, but which has no validity as far as harmony.
You can sum the values of pitches, to produce "heights". This bears a distant resemblance to the idea of symmetrical harmony with sums ("0-sum dyads") that George Perle developed, perhaps, except Perle was interested in systems of systems of sum-chords, and, as far as I know, only interested in the totality of the system as a source of pitches, freely composed.
George Perle's __Twelve-Tone Tonality__ -- one of the most disappointing books I've ever read, have to single it out for scorn. Why? Because it generated crap. You can compose with anything, including crap.
This is just irrelevant. Who cares what a particular chords' literal sums are? That, of all things, is in no way determinative of the sound, descriptive of it, etc.
This is a novel idea because it's stupid.
There are lots of things you can do. The question is whether they mean anything musically.
I think I understand this man's problem. He was a Morton Feldman student. Pretty as his very quiet pieces are, I'd wager that absolutely anything can work in that kind of texture -- it's really the oppposite of a harmonically tight situation. Feldman was an irrationalist. Johnson wants to be some kind of methodical irrationalist, which I have trouble sympathizing with. Another one was Cage -- scrupulous use of the I Ching. It is to be underwhelmed. Feh. Meh. Bleh. Geh.
I'm going to attempt to prove myself wrong: I'm going to have a little Morton Feldman festival right now. Work is done for today. I'll donate $100 to my least favorite institution -- The American Rifle Association -- if I come away admiring Feldman's "harmonies".
There are many composers who don't really want to understand what they're doing -- perhaps if they looked down, they might fall precipitously. Johnson clearly doesn't want to understand, or he wouldn't be making all the mistakes I've been pointing out so laboriously.
You can sum the values of pitches, to produce "heights". This bears a distant resemblance to the idea of symmetrical harmony with sums ("0-sum dyads") that George Perle developed, perhaps, except Perle was interested in systems of systems of sum-chords, and, as far as I know, only interested in the totality of the system as a source of pitches, freely composed.
George Perle's __Twelve-Tone Tonality__ -- one of the most disappointing books I've ever read, have to single it out for scorn. Why? Because it generated crap. You can compose with anything, including crap.
This is just irrelevant. Who cares what a particular chords' literal sums are? That, of all things, is in no way determinative of the sound, descriptive of it, etc.
This is a novel idea because it's stupid.
There are lots of things you can do. The question is whether they mean anything musically.
I think I understand this man's problem. He was a Morton Feldman student. Pretty as his very quiet pieces are, I'd wager that absolutely anything can work in that kind of texture -- it's really the oppposite of a harmonically tight situation. Feldman was an irrationalist. Johnson wants to be some kind of methodical irrationalist, which I have trouble sympathizing with. Another one was Cage -- scrupulous use of the I Ching. It is to be underwhelmed. Feh. Meh. Bleh. Geh.
I'm going to attempt to prove myself wrong: I'm going to have a little Morton Feldman festival right now. Work is done for today. I'll donate $100 to my least favorite institution -- The American Rifle Association -- if I come away admiring Feldman's "harmonies".
There are many composers who don't really want to understand what they're doing -- perhaps if they looked down, they might fall precipitously. Johnson clearly doesn't want to understand, or he wouldn't be making all the mistakes I've been pointing out so laboriously.
Last edited:
