JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jun 7, 2006
- Messages
- 27,766
I find it annoying when someone drinking a bottled soda harps on me for drinking bottled water. Especially since I rarely buy a new one and the arguement is often based on the assumption that I am constantly buying a new bottled water each day (its more like once every six months and just reusing the bottle). It is also hilarious when people try to give me quotes about bottled water being over 99% the same as tap water, just using a different set of filters from the same sources (barring a few companies that don't even bother with that). I sincerely hope they are that similar. That is why I am drinking it. I was thirsty, and wanted water. Of course the usual assumption when people try to convince me to stop drinking bottled water is that I am drinking it out of supposed purity that the bottle water companies market. Mostly it is just the convenience. When in a restaurant I drink from a cup and refuse offered upgrade to whatever bottled water is sold there. In a mall or other place with water fountains I tend to use those water fountains.
I'm not quite sure what your defense here is--you do buy bottled water or you just refill empties from the tap? If it's the latter, I don't condemn the practice, but I think you're maybe saying you do the former. (Either there is or is not a case of store-bought bottled water in your refrigerator right now.)
I don't drink bottled soda either, but I do condemn the bottled water fad. It makes no sense. At least buying bottled soda, you're buying something that you can't get for free on tap. There's a value-added product.
Again, the impact on the environment is huge. While you certainly dispose of your empties properly (or maybe even drop them into recycling bins), the industry accounts for a huge portion of litter (some of which ends up in our streams and eventually contributes to the giant plastic vortices in the oceans) and a huge portion of solid waste that goes into landfills.
It's wasteful to use energy and fossil fuels to produce the bottles and to transport water on trucks and trains.
Now if you live somewhere that doesn't have a decent potable water delivery system, I would encourage you to address that problem rather than buying bottled water.
I'm fine with it as a temporary solution to transient problems (like unsafe municipal water following a flood or some such).
Last edited: