• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Randi can't see these groovy videoclips; can you?

phyz

Muse
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
965
Greetings tech-savvy colleagues,
I sent the link below to Randi because he enjoyed looking at these high-speed video clips when we had some down time in the Galapagos.

The page links to a set of Quicktime (.mov) files residing in my dotMac, er, MobileMe webspace.

He reports that he is unable to view them despite having the latest version of QuickTime installed. The page has been up for months and has been accessed by others both hither and yon.

What do you suppose the problem is?

Oh, here's the link.
http://homepage.mac.com/phyzman/highspeed/
 
Last edited:
Huh - works for me. I'm using the latest quicktime 7.5.5 as a plugin with Firefox. No problems with the (very groovy) videos.

So, as usual, I'm no help.
 
I tried, without success, to view Balloon1-600.MOV on a Win XP machine in:
  • Firefox 3.03
  • Netscape 9.0.0.6
  • Opera 9.52 and
  • IE6
I suspect that the file is exceedingly large :(

Considering that - according to my stats from sites in (only) eight 'niches' - something like 85% of the whirled doesn't use Apples, I suggest you consider using, instead of Quicktime-specific(?) .MOV files, you use a (more) cross-browser friendly format like .mpeg and maybe a host that is more cross-browser-friendly than mac.com
 
No problems here. I'm on a mac running OS 10.5 using Safari. All movies loaded and played for me. Very cool movies!
 
Wait. Did my post live 90min before the first splash of Hater-Aid? Is that a record?

Anyone who doesn't have QuickTime installed should not be able to see any of these videoclips. Of course, QuickTime is free any both Mac and PC compatible. But I completely understand folks having religious convictions about not installing an Apple freebie on their PC. Who's got time between Windows security patch installs, right?

Does 6MB truly qualify as "exceedingly large"?

If your religion prohibits you from installing QuickTime, please enjoy all the non-QuickTime clips out there in the world. You won't miss much not being able to see mine. I won't likely find the time, energy, or money to switch formats and server space for you.

No worries. And have a nice day
 
Wait. Did my post live 90min before the first splash of Hater-Aid? Is that a record?
I have no idea what you're on about

Anyone who doesn't have QuickTime installed should not be able to see any of these videoclips. Of course, QuickTime is free any both Mac and PC compatible. But I completely understand folks having religious convictions about not installing an Apple freebie on their PC. Who's got time between Windows security patch installs, right?
I have QuickTime (7) installed... blaming users is for losers

Does 6MB truly qualify as "exceedingly large"?
No.

Maybe the cause of your problem (and, it is your problem) lies elsewhere

If your religion prohibits you from installing QuickTime, please enjoy all the non-QuickTime clips out there in the world. You won't miss much not being able to see mine. I won't likely find the time, energy, or money to switch formats and server space for you.
yeah.... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... So, why did you start this thread???? :confused:
 
Last edited:
I have no idea what you're on about

I have QuickTime (7) installed... blaming users is for losers

No.

Maybe the cause of your problem (and, it is your problem) lies elsewhere

yeah.... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... So, why did you start this thread???? :confused:

1. It rarely takes very long for a Mac-related post to attract an anti-Apple response. That's what I was on about there. I often hope for a day, but I rarely get more than an hour. If my reaction appeared disproportionate, it's only because the anti-Apple responses are so completely predictable and I've seen the same thing so often. Usually there is little or no merit; the responder just couldn't resist the sweet, sweet sugar that is taking a jab at Apple.

2. Anyway, you might have mentioned that you had QuickTime in your previous post. That is useful information. Suggesting a different format/server space = not so useful.

3. Just troubleshooting. Looks like I'll have to try accessing the clips from a PC w/QT installed.

Apologies for testiness, but I won't let anti-Apple stuff go unchallenged. And I can't wrap my mind around the thinking I've heard (from other PC-users on other threads) to the effect that regardless of quality or utility of content, they steadfastly refuse to install QuickTime. On general principles? Again, I don't get it and wasn't looking to talk anyone off that ledge. Similarly, I don't spend much time trying to convince flat-earthers that the homeworld is round.
 
The OP was a troubleshooting inquiry. Why is it that many people are able to view the posted QT files while at least one person, James Randi, cannot.

If you don't know why, that's OK. You can move along to more interesting topics here on the JREF forum.

But the correct identity of the problem is not "change video format and server space." That's an interesting suggestion, but not the identification of the problem.

The fact that many people can access the clips without a hitch leads me to believe there's nothing wrong with the format or server. Based on this evidence, I'm led to believe there might be something that can happen at Randi's end to enable him to see the clips.

My thought was that someone might know what that problem was and then how to solve it.

I know that QT is proprietary. And it allows users to easily watch the clips forward or backward. And to go frame by frame through the clips. And the player is free.
 
I successfully loaded the GeyserTube2-600.MOV file using Firefox 3.0.3 and Quicktime 7.5.5 plugin on a PC with XP Home edition. The progress bar did seem stopped at the half way mark for 30 seconds or more but I left it alone and when I came back in another 90 seconds or so it was playing. A less patient person might have assumed it was not working.

Tried again with BalloonVert1-600.MOV. The progress bar jumps to half full instantly. No further movement and then after 37 seconds it started to play.
 
Last edited:
Not really troubleshooting but as a work around you could have him download the files to his computer and see if they will play from there.
 
All worked for me:

Ubuntu 8.04
Firefox 3.03
Quicktime plugin 7.2.0
 
Last edited:
Considering that - according to my stats from sites in (only) eight 'niches' - something like 85% of the whirled doesn't use Apples, I suggest you consider using, instead of Quicktime-specific(?) .MOV files, you use a (more) cross-browser friendly format like .mpeg and maybe a host that is more cross-browser-friendly than mac.com

Wait. Did my post live 90min before the first splash of Hater-Aid? Is that a record?

Anyone who doesn't have QuickTime installed should not be able to see any of these videoclips. Of course, QuickTime is free any both Mac and PC compatible. But I completely understand folks having religious convictions about not installing an Apple freebie on their PC. Who's got time between Windows security patch installs, right?

Does 6MB truly qualify as "exceedingly large"?

If your religion prohibits you from installing QuickTime, please enjoy all the non-QuickTime clips out there in the world. You won't miss much not being able to see mine. I won't likely find the time, energy, or money to switch formats and server space for you.

No worries. And have a nice day


Wow, I didn't see anything in that first post that was anti-apple or warranted such a response. It only made you look like an Apple fanatic (or Microsoft hater). Before you accuse others of being "religious" in their choice of what to put on their own machines you should look in the mirror.

Most webmasters WANT their content to be viewed by the greatest number of people, and his suggestion was a way of achieving that.

And yes, I use both Apples and PC's, so I'm not advocating one over the other, I'm just pointing out that one's refusal to bend FROM Apple products is in no way different than one's refusal to bend TO Apple products, and he wasn't even refusing, he was just suggesting.
 
I successfully loaded the GeyserTube2-600.MOV file using Firefox 3.0.3 and Quicktime 7.5.5 plugin on a PC with XP Home edition. The progress bar did seem stopped at the half way mark for 30 seconds or more but I left it alone and when I came back in another 90 seconds or so it was playing. A less patient person might have assumed it was not working.

Tried again with BalloonVert1-600.MOV. The progress bar jumps to half full instantly. No further movement and then after 37 seconds it started to play.

FF 3.0.3 and same QT with same experience. I did wonder if the download was hung as usually the download bar scrolls along fairly smoothly-ish.

eta - if right-click and save link to download the file it works smoothly and quickly. Maybe firefox has a problem loading QT for these versions?
 
Last edited:
1. It rarely takes very long for a Mac-related post to attract an anti-Apple response.
Yeah... and it rarely takes an orchardist very long to respond with a knee-jerk

If my reaction appeared disproportionate, it's only because the anti-Apple responses are so completely predictable and I've seen the same thing so often.
That might be your excuse, but it ain't a rational response

you might have mentioned that you had QuickTime in your previous post. That is useful information.
I agree

Suggesting a different format/server space = not so useful.
I disagree

Proprietary formats suck
Platform-specific formats suck

And I suspect, based on the fact that sometimes your videos DO load and sometimes they DON'T, that mac.com's servers suck too

A wait of more than 30 seconds for ANYTHING to happen is unacceptable; if you are hell-bent on sticking with such a pathetically slow server to host your content then I suggest that you incorporate a progress bar to at least indicate that something is happening

3. Just troubleshooting. Looks like I'll have to try accessing the clips from a PC w/QT installed.
Don't waste your time. You know that the videos can be displayed on a PC with QT... the problem is that its intermittent and/or so damn slow


Apologies for testiness, but
A qualified apology? No thanks

I won't let anti-Apple stuff go unchallenged. And I can't wrap my mind around the thinking I've heard (from other PC-users on other threads) to the effect that regardless of quality or utility of content, they steadfastly refuse to install QuickTime. On general principles? Again, I don't get it and wasn't looking to talk anyone off that ledge. Similarly, I don't spend much time trying to convince flat-earthers that the homeworld is round.

On general principles? You have opted to provide your content using a format (and perhaps a server) that doesn't work! What principle is that? Ignorance? Stubbornness? Or a hybrid of both?

-----------
ETA: I have now seen the ballon vid, it's great!
 
Last edited:
six7s; the videos do take some time to load. The specific amount of time depends on a number of things. I know that I've never had to wait 3 minutes for a clip to start, though.

Here's a note I found relating to Windows XP / QuickTime issues, but I cannot tell if it's relevant or outdated. It's from Ambrosia Software; a note for people trying to see something called EV Nova.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/Evn/winxp_qt.html
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom