• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Potentially Startling Astronomy News

Yes, but will the Moon be in the 7th house?

This is the dawning!!

ETA:
Oh, wait. before dawn. Just after the northern summer Solstice. I am NOT getting up that early. And the planets shown in the graphic are include the moon, which is not a planet!

ETAA: Oh, I'll probably have to get up to pee about then. Perhaps I'll look. If I remember. Which I won't.
 
Last edited:
They wuz a wicked massagener,
From Ealing he done did come,
Wiv a mine that bolloxed up
The smartest manners.

We grabbed him by his shirt
'N axed him, hey, how come?
He et his Xmas pie, including his right thumb.

Oh mama, can this rilly be
Tha en?
Yeah, it can. Muh.
 
When I lived in Bellingham, a bit further north than here, I could see the planets often from my back porch. You could really see that they were aligned in an elliptical plane.
 
You all may joke but I've dusted off my copy Immanuel Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision to try and figure out what happens next. You won't be laughing as much when Venus leaves her orbit and crashes into the Moon!
 
Wait wait wait... stars aligning on a solstice? By the Great Old One! We've been wrong about which solstice all this time. If anyone needs me, I'll be outside drunk screaming "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"
 
I do know one thing.
I know that if I get to my parents house where my telescope is located due to the fact that they have a good field of vision and low light pollution (by dutch standards) it will be cloudy.
 
You all may joke but I've dusted off my copy Immanuel Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision to try and figure out what happens next. You won't be laughing as much when Venus leaves her orbit and crashes into the Moon!
I read that book when I was some age younger than 15 after finding it in one of the stacks of paperbacks my dad had. I didn't know at the time it was a discounted theory.
 
I read that book when I was some age younger than 15 after finding it in one of the stacks of paperbacks my dad had. I didn't know at the time it was a discounted theory.

To be absolutely fair (ha ha) I've never actually read WiC but I've certainly read a deconstruction or two (Martin Gardner et al) and I met Velikovsky in person when he spoke to a meeting of computer professionals in Toronto (the person arranging the speakers had a very idiosyncratic taste and speakers included Arthur C Clarke and Herman Khan). I may have been the only person there who knew who he was.
 
To be absolutely fair (ha ha) I've never actually read WiC but I've certainly read a deconstruction or two (Martin Gardner et al) and I met Velikovsky in person when he spoke to a meeting of computer professionals in Toronto (the person arranging the speakers had a very idiosyncratic taste and speakers included Arthur C Clarke and Herman Khan). I may have been the only person there who knew who he was.

Did he present his planetary theory, or was he talking about other stuff?
 
Did he present his planetary theory, or was he talking about other stuff?

It's been a long time (Velikovsky died in 1979) but my memory is it was about his crashing planets and how he was ill-done by the Establishment.

I do remember that Clarke told us of his three most admired authors and I was the only person present who knew who Olaf Stapleton was. And now I can't remember the other two. :(
 
*checks calendar*
Sooo... how long do you figure it takes R'lyeh to rise? It's been a few days already, and my throat is getting sore from all the chanting.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom