I wish to attempt a rational skeptical discussion of economic, social, political, environmental, and technological issues relating to so-called "peak oil" and "peak everything" claims. This will require multiple threads, but I want to begin with some of the basics.
At this point, I don't even know what the current consensus is (or whether or not there is one) about the world's energy future. There are two positions that appear to me to be extreme.
One is that there is nothing at all to worry about despite clear evidence of steeply increasing economic and environmental costs of fossil energy extraction to meet increasing demand. That seems extreme to me because under the circumstances, a widespread and chronic energy shortage certainly seems plausible, and any such shortage seems reasonably likely to have adverse economic consequences.
The other, (the "doomer" side) is, well, that we're doomed. (Doomed to what? Typically, a global version of the Easter Island economic, environmental, and population collapse; wars, famine, and eventual regression of technological capability to the nineteenth century or earlier.) That seems extreme to me because instead of step by step cause and effect, such scenarios that I've seen have been based on shaky historical analogies, and intuitive leaps such as the frequent implicit claim that because modern society is very complex (no argument there), that also must mean it's very fragile. Really? Cellular biochemistry is extremely complex, yet that very complexity makes it extremely robust and adaptable.
The no-worry side appears to be most usually expressed by default, not by people explicitly saying there's no worry (though there are exceptions to this) but rather by groups (investors, political parties) acting as if there's no worry. The no-worry view is apparently that energy will remain abundant and cheap enough (even if the price rises) to keep economic growth an achievable goal.
The correct answer is not always in the middle between two extremes, so I can't conclude that either extreme is wrong. What I want to look at first is whether there's any hidden consensus among rational thinkers between those two extremes, because it seems only the doomers and the no-worriers are saying much at all, and they're both (understandably, but frustratingly) focusing on debunking the most extreme claims of the opposite side as the basis for concluding that their own extreme (imho) view is correct.
There are numerous dimensions for future energy scenarios, far too many to consider in a single poll. So, what I'm focusing on first is the most basic measurement I can think of: the total worldwide energy usage. All the other dimensions (political, economic, and technological) project onto that one in a complex way, so I'm fully aware that any particular choice in the poll can still represent a wide variety of actual scenarios. For example, I don't ask whether a hypothetical drop in the figure would be the cause, or the effect, of any associated economic disruption. I'll follow up with more polls as needed to explore more of the possibilities.
Some definitions and clarifications for the poll choices:
"Energy use" does not include implicit use of solar power by plants in agriculture.
"Stabilize" refers to reaching either an approximately constant level, or making reasonable oscillations (tied to economic cycles, perhaps) around an approximately constant long-term mean level.
"Never" is short for "not during the remainder of the 21st century." Longer-term predictions than that are out of scope for the time being.
Any of the options for "it will drop..." (C through H) include the possibility of an increase above present day levels before the drop. The two "drop and then stabilize" options (D and E) include the possibility that the drop could be deeper than the eventual stabilized level, followed by a recovery to that level.
I've tried to make the choices mutually exclusive, and to cover a wide range of possibilities, but the choices can't cover all possibilities. (For instance, a steep drop followed by a slow steady rise reaching above 25% of present day levels, but not regaining present levels, by the end of the century wouldn't quite fit any of the choices). So if you have a scenario that's not represented, please just describe it in the thread.
----------
Besides the poll itself, what I want to discuss in this thread is what your prediction is, and what observations and ideas you've based it on.
What I don't want to discuss in this thread (and will ignore) since I've seen plenty of it in discussions related to "peak oil" in other places:
- Amateur psychological explanations for why someone who fails to immediately agree with you is mentally incapable of evaluating the facts objectively or forming a valid opinion. (Warning phrases: "in denial," "indoctrinated," "self-hating," "tree huggers.")
- Historical karmic revenge fantasies masquerading as serious scenarios. (Warning phrases: "imperialists," "bankers," "chickens come home to roost," "give the land back to.")
- Eye rolling at me because I'm being so ridiculous as to even seriously consider the position opposite to yours.
At this point, I don't even know what the current consensus is (or whether or not there is one) about the world's energy future. There are two positions that appear to me to be extreme.
One is that there is nothing at all to worry about despite clear evidence of steeply increasing economic and environmental costs of fossil energy extraction to meet increasing demand. That seems extreme to me because under the circumstances, a widespread and chronic energy shortage certainly seems plausible, and any such shortage seems reasonably likely to have adverse economic consequences.
The other, (the "doomer" side) is, well, that we're doomed. (Doomed to what? Typically, a global version of the Easter Island economic, environmental, and population collapse; wars, famine, and eventual regression of technological capability to the nineteenth century or earlier.) That seems extreme to me because instead of step by step cause and effect, such scenarios that I've seen have been based on shaky historical analogies, and intuitive leaps such as the frequent implicit claim that because modern society is very complex (no argument there), that also must mean it's very fragile. Really? Cellular biochemistry is extremely complex, yet that very complexity makes it extremely robust and adaptable.
The no-worry side appears to be most usually expressed by default, not by people explicitly saying there's no worry (though there are exceptions to this) but rather by groups (investors, political parties) acting as if there's no worry. The no-worry view is apparently that energy will remain abundant and cheap enough (even if the price rises) to keep economic growth an achievable goal.
The correct answer is not always in the middle between two extremes, so I can't conclude that either extreme is wrong. What I want to look at first is whether there's any hidden consensus among rational thinkers between those two extremes, because it seems only the doomers and the no-worriers are saying much at all, and they're both (understandably, but frustratingly) focusing on debunking the most extreme claims of the opposite side as the basis for concluding that their own extreme (imho) view is correct.
There are numerous dimensions for future energy scenarios, far too many to consider in a single poll. So, what I'm focusing on first is the most basic measurement I can think of: the total worldwide energy usage. All the other dimensions (political, economic, and technological) project onto that one in a complex way, so I'm fully aware that any particular choice in the poll can still represent a wide variety of actual scenarios. For example, I don't ask whether a hypothetical drop in the figure would be the cause, or the effect, of any associated economic disruption. I'll follow up with more polls as needed to explore more of the possibilities.
Some definitions and clarifications for the poll choices:
"Energy use" does not include implicit use of solar power by plants in agriculture.
"Stabilize" refers to reaching either an approximately constant level, or making reasonable oscillations (tied to economic cycles, perhaps) around an approximately constant long-term mean level.
"Never" is short for "not during the remainder of the 21st century." Longer-term predictions than that are out of scope for the time being.
Any of the options for "it will drop..." (C through H) include the possibility of an increase above present day levels before the drop. The two "drop and then stabilize" options (D and E) include the possibility that the drop could be deeper than the eventual stabilized level, followed by a recovery to that level.
I've tried to make the choices mutually exclusive, and to cover a wide range of possibilities, but the choices can't cover all possibilities. (For instance, a steep drop followed by a slow steady rise reaching above 25% of present day levels, but not regaining present levels, by the end of the century wouldn't quite fit any of the choices). So if you have a scenario that's not represented, please just describe it in the thread.
----------
Besides the poll itself, what I want to discuss in this thread is what your prediction is, and what observations and ideas you've based it on.
What I don't want to discuss in this thread (and will ignore) since I've seen plenty of it in discussions related to "peak oil" in other places:
- Amateur psychological explanations for why someone who fails to immediately agree with you is mentally incapable of evaluating the facts objectively or forming a valid opinion. (Warning phrases: "in denial," "indoctrinated," "self-hating," "tree huggers.")
- Historical karmic revenge fantasies masquerading as serious scenarios. (Warning phrases: "imperialists," "bankers," "chickens come home to roost," "give the land back to.")
- Eye rolling at me because I'm being so ridiculous as to even seriously consider the position opposite to yours.