• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Palcohol (powdered alcohol)

Wouldn't you still need to carry water on a plane to re-hydrate the stuff?

It would be less weight to just take a bottle of Johnnie Walker instead of a bottle of water and a packet of instant Johnnie Walker, wouldn't it?

Or can you eat this stuff dry, like Pop Rocks.

Depends how much they serve in mixed drinks.
 
Last edited:
Depends how much the serve in mixed drinks.

That makes sense.

I was thinking in my own straight no rocks kind of way. I never considered just dumping a handful of powdered Absolut or Beefeater into a glass of grapefruit juice to make an in-flight greyhound.

The way airlines operate, I'm imagining a flight attendant walking down the aisle with an open bag of powdered booze, scooping it dry into the waiting maws of the passengers. That would save fuel and time.
 
  • .... Because powdered alcohol is so light, airlines can reduce the weight on an airplane by serving powdered vs. liquid alcohol and save millions on fuel costs....
You're supposed to dissolve it in water first. Lots of people drink things that consist of mostly sugar and alcohol dissolved in water.
Ummm, the airliner must carry the water to mix with the weight saving powder, so .....we need powdered water to go with it!

Maybe it is snortable? Weaponized, it could be used in smartbombs.

Why would you dilute Everclear?

Why dilute it, just create a new experience in drinking by adding powdered alcohol to 200 proof everclear.

Wouldn't you still need to carry water on a plane to re-hydrate the stuff?

It would be less weight to just take a bottle of Johnnie Walker instead of a bottle of water and a packet of instant Johnnie Walker, wouldn't it?

Or can you eat this stuff dry, like Pop Rocks.

Or snort it.

..
Yeah, I lump this idea in with Gerber First Foods Tobacco Puree.
A snuff based baby food?

Depends how much the serve in mixed drinks.

Maybe it could be mixed into chewing gum? I'd better add 2 smilies this time.:rolleyes::D
 
Ummm, the airliner must carry the water to mix with the weight saving powder, so .....we need powdered water to go with it!

They already carry drinking water, so why carry both plain water and water mixed with alcohol at the same time? Unless they're carrying exactly enough alcoholic beverages to meet customer demand, they'll be saving money on the water-mass of unconsumed alcohol.

It would be less weight to just take a bottle of Johnnie Walker instead of a bottle of water and a packet of instant Johnnie Walker, wouldn't it?

But what if the customer wants something other than Johnnie Walker? If they're going to offer their customers a choice, they're going to need to carry a lot more alcohol than is going to be consumed. Saves weight carrying enough water for drinking and carrying the alcohol powdered.

(That said, this is only armchair logic. I know nothing about airline logistics, so I could be wrong.)

Maybe it is snortable?

According to the website, no. Apparently snorting it is painful and takes a lot longer to get inebriated than simply mixing it with water and drinking it. (Which makes me wonder how they know that.)

Why dilute it, just create a new experience in drinking by adding powdered alcohol to 200 proof everclear.

Because it doesn't dissolve in alcohol?
 
I'd buy the product. I'm really not seeing what the hue and cry is all about.
 
I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to be useful. It's only a bit more than 1/3 ethanol by mass. Wouldn't it be more weight-efficient to store alcohol as a high-concentration solution, like Everclear?
Yes, yes indeedy!!!:D:D:D:D:D Great as a base for liquors......... I buy mine in Tennessee as FL only allows 70 or 75%.
 
Hmm, would a solution of this that was down to 1% alcohol serve to disinfect unfiltered water?
 
Ummm, the airliner must carry the water to mix with the weight saving powder, so .....we need powdered water to go with it!

Maybe it is snortable? Weaponized, it could be used in smartbombs.



Why dilute it, just create a new experience in drinking by adding powdered alcohol to 200 proof everclear.


Or snort it.


A snuff based baby food?



Maybe it could be mixed into chewing gum? I'd better add 2 smilies this time.:rolleyes::D

A) pretty much as soon as you open a 200 proof (and I am fairly certain it is 190, not 200) /100% bottle of ethanol it begins to absorb water from the air - and absent a very uncomfortable 0% humidity it becomes 190 proof very quickly (unless it already is.*). Which is good as I suspect the powder would not dissolve in pure ethanol anyway.

*Going to check - back in 30s. And, on the nosy!!95%/190 proof right on the bottle.

I remember that from lab-teching in LongBinh,RVN 9th Med Lab where we used the stuff in our path lab.....
 
Last edited:
We used to use huge quantities of ethanol, after the good freon was outlawed, for all kinds of routine cleaning in electronic repair, and it was labeled 200 proof, but I doubt it was that pure. I don't remember who provided it, but it was not reagent grade and came in clear pint bottles and cost around $8.00 or so. I never actually got around to tasting it.:D

So it could not have been this stuff, which is pretty pricey.

My comments on powdered alcohol are pretty much tongue in cheek, because for some reason I find the idea funny.
 
We used to use huge quantities of ethanol, after the good freon was outlawed, for all kinds of routine cleaning in electronic repair, and it was labeled 200 proof, but I doubt it was that pure. I don't remember who provided it, but it was not reagent grade and came in clear pint bottles and cost around $8.00 or so. I never actually got around to tasting it.:D

So it could not have been this stuff, which is pretty pricey.

My comments on powdered alcohol are pretty much tongue in cheek, because for some reason I find the idea funny.

Ours, noted above, was also 200 proof - in the bottle - but as noted as soon as the bottle was opened It became 190. Our 180 proof/90% came in 50 gallon drums and could not be denatured as they were (mostly:D) used for medical purposes for which they needed to be close to pure and no contaminants other than H2O.
 
Yeah, but is it flammable or inflammable?
Depends on what mix of what cyclodextrins and the amount of water. In general cyclodextrins tend to be less flammable than simple sugars with a high ignition temperature.

I'm curious if the process would work for isopropyl alcohol. Could have storage applications for the medical industry...
Probably. It's not really a new idea. They've been used in food products and pharmaceuticals for some time.

Seems almost pointless to me, what is the dilution you're supposed to use to turn it into a cocktail?
It's a gimmick with the potential to evade restrictions and duties on alcohol, it's supposed to make money for it's developers.

We used to use huge quantities of ethanol, after the good freon was outlawed, for all kinds of routine cleaning in electronic repair, and it was labeled 200 proof, but I doubt it was that pure. I don't remember who provided it, but it was not reagent grade and came in clear pint bottles and cost around $8.00 or so. I never actually got around to tasting it.:D
Probably a good thing, I'd guess that was denatured alcohol of some form; it's ethanol mixed with propanol, methanol, glycols or benzene to render it undrinkable and thus exempt from alcohol duties. Depending on the adulterant it could be unpleasant or toxic.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom