• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Paintings Drawings Photos You Like

saraban

Joined
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
2,677
Discussions elsewhere about what is art got me thinking What do you like? What are you favourite pictures. What would you have on your wall?

Some of mine are

Edward VI and the Pope - Unknown Artist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/king-edward-vi-and-the-pope

King Edward VI - William Scrots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Scrots#/media/File:Edward_VI_Scrots_c1550.jpg

Going to Sea - William McTaggart

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/going-to-sea-124771

Christ in the House of His Parents - John Everett Millais

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaint...use-of-his-parents-the-carpenters-shop-117711

Emperor Maximiilian with His Family

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...an_I_with_His_Family_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Alfred Hereditary Prince Saxe- Coburg-Gotha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred...:Erbprinz-alfred-von-sachsen-coburg-gotha.jpg

Pretty Baa Lambs - Ford Madox Brown

http://uploads8.wikiart.org/images/ford-madox-brown/pretty-baa-lambs-1852.jpg

Manfred on the Jungfrau - Ford Madox Brown

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Manfred_sur_la_Jungfrau.jpg

The Family of The Grand Duke of Hesse

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/408904/the-family-of-the-grand-duke-of-hesse

And the only abstract piece.

Maps - Me
 

Attachments

  • Maps.jpg
    Maps.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 22
Andrew Wyeth- "Christina's World" and "Winter 1940"
Rembrandt- "The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp" and "The Night Watch"
Many others...
 
Watching Penn's Tim's Vermeer, even with the TV reproduction I was really taken with a portion of one of the paintings, but not the one he was reproducing. I think it was called "The Milk Maid" but it was the corner of the room and the stuff on the wall that caught my attention.
 
Most all the art I like currently falls into the category of science-fiction and fantasy art. Each year, for the last 20 years, I have gotten a copy of "Spectrum, the Best Of Science Fiction And Fantasy Art."

It's a compilation of the annual awards given out in this field , in a variety of categories. Much of this is book-cover illustration, gaming-industry promotions, and comic art...Strictly commercial. Other material is "just art", made for the art market.
Included 3-dimensional art as well.

Much of this is simpy stunning. Artists in this field are often masters of draftsmanship and often they paint and draw in "classical" styles. The 3-D material is often whimsical but exhibits amazing style.
A couple pulled at random from the current collection:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8CMZYOBZB...Military-Undead-Advanced---Tyler-Jacobson.png
http://www.churchofhalloween.com/wp-content/posts/thomas-kuebler.png
 
Most all the art I like currently falls into the category of science-fiction and fantasy art. Each year, for the last 20 years, I have gotten a copy of "Spectrum, the Best Of Science Fiction And Fantasy Art."

I had come back into the thread to say exactly the same thing! I recently got the one issue I'd been missing (at a fairly steep price, for some reason). Issue 21 is out now, btw.

There are always a few in there I can say I don't like, but most are ones that I like to take some time to look at, and a few always blow me away.

My procedure with a new volume is to page through quickly at first, then read all the text at the beginning. Then go through the book in short sessions, maybe 20 pages, and really looking at each picture. My preference is for traditionally hand-painted ones vs. the digitally created or painted. I don't know, just knowing that someone had to physically mix a paint and apply it rather than use an "Apply Smoke" filter is more appealing to me. And I have done a lot of digital work, myself. (still do traditional, though.)
 
IMNSHO the greatest single artistic achievement of modern man is the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

I remember when they were voting for the new Pope, and the cable news channel had their guy in their virtual reality room. They were showing the painting backwards.
 
I have always liked Durer,I've got a few books on his stuff and you always find something new every time you look.
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASP-43b#/media/File:Exoplanet_WASP-43b_orbits_its_parent_star.jpg

Here's a series of images that never fails to move me.

The images of (I grudgingly admit potential) stromatolites on Mars are another. As far as I'm concerned, we've found fossil life on another planet--I find the evidence convincing. Those photos are not unexpected, but still profoundly moving.

Neither is art per say, but something doesn't have to be art to be moving.

In terms of actual art, I prefer Medieval art. It's not all ameturish doodles on the margins of manuscripts; some of the paintings got quite complex, and there's always more to find in them. The art of tapestries is one that has, sadly, died, and our culture is the poorer for it.
 
I've a book about various Book of Hours. Which has lots of colour plates.
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASP-43b#/media/File:Exoplanet_WASP-43b_orbits_its_parent_star.jpg

Here's a series of images that never fails to move me.

The images of (I grudgingly admit potential) stromatolites on Mars are another. As far as I'm concerned, we've found fossil life on another planet--I find the evidence convincing. Those photos are not unexpected, but still profoundly moving.

Neither is art per say, but something doesn't have to be art to be moving.

In terms of actual art, I prefer Medieval art. It's not all ameturish doodles on the margins of manuscripts; some of the paintings got quite complex, and there's always more to find in them. The art of tapestries is one that has, sadly, died, and our culture is the poorer for it.

Medieval art is great. Most people would be amazed at what can be learned about the clothing,weapons etc from ,sometimes crude,drawings and carvings. When I was in a medieval reenactment group we used a whole host of stuff to figure dress styles etc out. Some stuff like the hookham picture bible had great clear pictures of military equipment of the common foot soldier. Tragically a lot of stuff was lost in the world wars. For every one thing that has survived ,dozens have been lost.
 
Last edited:
Oh, I like that one!

Well, then you'll be happy to know he didn't get eaten by a shark.

Assuming this is the same guy. Doubtful though. This guy was in a much smaller boat.

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/16776

Homer had a way of painting water that is pleasing to my eyes. Really simple, but it looks the way water really looks, especially when you're in a boat or on shore, i.e. right down at water level. It's made up of chunks of color.

I can't articulate it very well, but I like it. Not like that hack Pollock! *spits*

:boxedin:
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom