• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed One more Sanford thread: Rush L. - Obama made him do it...

That was no typo, corp. You're shooting the messenger. If you don't like Media Matters, fine, but check, for example, Oliver's link. This R-> D "error" is too frequent and too one-way to be an oopsie.

You win the million for your psychic powers, grats. You typo truthers are a trip.

A gym I went normally had Fox blaring on a few TVs. Their ticker has been a source of amusement for me since I spot errors often.

If they mispell normal words as a pattern, how is it so far fetched that they mislabel D/R ?

I mean really, they are part of the 24 hour news cycle feeding frenzies. They talk about these people for hours on end with talking heads shooting it out. The party affiliations of the people in question are always reinforced hundreds of times. Who are they trying to fool? The people who only read the ticker with the sound off?

Typo Truthers!
 
You win the million for your psychic powers, grats. You typo truthers are a trip.

A gym I went normally had Fox blaring on a few TVs. Their ticker has been a source of amusement for me since I spot errors often.

If they mispell normal words as a pattern, how is it so far fetched that they mislabel D/R ?

I mean really, they are part of the 24 hour news cycle feeding frenzies. They talk about these people for hours on end with talking heads shooting it out. The party affiliations of the people in question are always reinforced hundreds of times. Who are they trying to fool? The people who only read the ticker with the sound off?

Typo Truthers!

Well at my gym there is no sound on the TV's so all you can see is the guys face, his position, and his party. I have also noticed this at airport terminal gates, bars, restaurants, businesses... in fact that majority of the time I see any news channel, other than at home, it is on mute. It is part of the 24 hour news cycle, most of the time they have nothing to of any interest to say so people read the ticker to get updates on the important stuff.

I don't think this is some attempt by Fox to actually convince america that a republican is a democrat but I am sure that some people who rarely watch, listen, or read the news (which is all to often the case) leave with the wrong impression. Couple that with the fact that they have never labeled a democrat a republican and that this occurs when a republican is doing something that embarrasses the right wing ideology and it seems a little to easy to dismiss. I think a lot of journalistic integrity has gone out the window and been replaced with opinion and ideology since the 24 hour news cycle came around and Fox tends to lead that charge.

Here are seven examples of Fox news making the exact same mistake, either this is intentional, they never fire people for stupid mistakes, or they exclusively hire idiots.

http://intershame.com/on/Fox_News/

Oh, and I am certain Rush could find a way to blame his own drug addiction on President Obama.
 
Why does anyone take this tub of lard seriously with his record?
And I feel the same way about Michael Moore.
Both are masters of the half truth, the carefully ommited evidence, and out and out lies at time.
And I also feel both are prerry much preaching to the choir.
Because there is, and will always be, a market for someone who says exactly what a segment of the public wants to hear. Rush and Moore are not the first to exploit those niches, but the advent of tailored media outlets has made them much more accessible to their target audience.
 
Typo Truthers!
Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill here, corp. Take a look at Biscuit's link. There are what, 6-7 typos documented that ALL are R->D "typos" and are ALL when an R was in hot water. If these are indeed typos surely someone has documented the other gaffe, a D->R gaffe. There's a right-wing "Media Matters" out there that works for the other side of the aisle; surely they have the data. Or maybe you know of some examples from another source. Or maybe you have some yourself.

Anyway, are there ANY instances of a D->R gaffes that you can offer as evidence that this is a random error.
 
So, according to Rush Limbaugh's twisted logic, because Obama and the Democrats are - supposedly - going to drive the country over a cliff into an abyss of financial & moral chaos, all bets are off.

Well, that's it then... I'm off to rape & pillage now. When the cops finally gun me down in a hail of bullets, remember that it's all Obama's fault!

Wow, whatever happened to personal responsibility? :rolleyes:
 
You win the million for your psychic powers, grats. You typo truthers are a trip.

A gym I went normally had Fox blaring on a few TVs. Their ticker has been a source of amusement for me since I spot errors often.

If they mispell normal words as a pattern, how is it so far fetched that they mislabel D/R ?

I mean really, they are part of the 24 hour news cycle feeding frenzies. They talk about these people for hours on end with talking heads shooting it out. The party affiliations of the people in question are always reinforced hundreds of times. Who are they trying to fool? The people who only read the ticker with the sound off?

Typo Truthers!

Okay, I see that the washer is on spin cycle, but really, this isn't that hard to prove. Your allegation is that they normally have these sorts of typos.

Okay, Fox news merely has to identify a few Democrats as Republicans in scandals. Give me pics, and I'll agree.

Wait! I hear what you're saying. "GreyICE, that's not fair. There just hasn't been the same volume of Democrat scandals, there's no way that the same will be happening there."

Okay, fine. I concede that point. You are picking from a much larger population. Okay, Fox is hardly the sole 24 hour news outlet. They all do this, they all have tickers. Just find me a consistent pattern on other tickers. Same stories, easy to find. Just find their tickers doing the (D) when it's (R) thing, and I'll be satisfied. Some might claim that if ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CSPAN, etc. all do this, it's just some vast right-wing conspiracy. I'm not that biased. If everyone does it, it's a common error.

So, all you have to do, pattern of mistaken (R)s on scandals, or pattern of (D)s from other media outlets.

What that you say? Other media outlets don't seem to hire these raging buffoons?
 
Once again, Media Matters turns type errors into bias. Not surprised. Also not surprised that Upchurch is still sourcing those loons.
You're not surprised that I'm still sourcing a group that does an excellent job of sourcing their pieces in context? Thanks, corp! :)
 
Ah yes, skepticism, the ability to put your fingers in your ears and yell La La La, I can't hear you, all the while believing, only you, are the real skeptic.

Mmm, yes, the irony, it's so tasty. And there's so much of it!
 
You're not surprised that I'm still sourcing a group that does an excellent job of sourcing their pieces in context? Thanks, corp! :)

As I pointed out to you in the past, they omit context as necessary to make their points. I still can't believe you defend those guys.
 
It isn't skepticism to make an assertion with no evidence. You're assertion is that Fox News deliberately changes the captions for scandalized republicans from R to D on purpose. Your only evidence is that they make these D/R errors often.

That isn't skepticism.

Nor is it skepticism to ignore that their captions/tickers often have errors. Nor is it skepticism to ignore the fact that they run these captions while talking about the "disgraced republican" for the next week constantly on their news channel.

For you to be right, it would be the most poorly executed conspiracy on earth.

In the case of Mark Foley, the caption was stripped from subsequent broadcasts after it was pointed out. The AP (hardly a bastion of right wing propaganda) also got his party affiliation wrong, but due to AP article re-use, their errors appeared in numerous media outlets. These copy writers sit in rooms all day writing Foo D, Bar R. Yes, there are errors.

In the case of the typo truthers, you also have to believe that Fox labeled John McCain a democrat during his presidential run because.... Heck, I don't even get that one. If that was intentional, then the cast of Fox and Friends probably beat the guy to death who did it for hurting McCain's chances against Obama.

The really retarded thing is, these typo errors usually happen while the people on TV are actually identifying these people's party affiliations correctly. Again, who are they trying to fool? The deaf?

Typo truthers..... whatcha gonna do.... whatcha gonna do when they mispell you!
 
Last edited:
It isn't skepticism to make an assertion with no evidence. You're assertion is that Fox News deliberately changes the captions for scandalized republicans from R to D on purpose. Your only evidence is that they make these D/R errors often.

That isn't skepticism.

Nor is it skepticism to ignore that their captions/tickers often have errors. Nor is it skepticism to ignore the fact that they run these captions while talking about the "disgraced republican" for the next week constantly on their news channel.

For you to be right, it would be the most poorly executed conspiracy on earth.

In the case of Mark Foley, the caption was stripped from subsequent broadcasts after it was pointed out. The AP (hardly a bastion of right wing propaganda) also got his party affiliation wrong, but due to AP article re-use, their errors appeared in numerous media outlets. These copy writers sit in rooms all day writing Foo D, Bar R. Yes, there are errors.

In the case of the typo truthers, you also have to believe that Fox labeled John McCain a democrat during his presidential run because.... Heck, I don't even get that one. If that was intentional, then the cast of Fox and Friends probably beat the guy to death who did it for hurting McCain's chances against Obama.

The really retarded thing is, these typo errors usually happen while the people on TV are actually identifying these people's party affiliations correctly. Again, who are they trying to fool? The deaf?

Typo truthers..... whatcha gonna do.... whatcha gonna do when they mispell you!

*snort*

Systemically reporting Republicans who have scandals as Democrats is a pattern. It's not somehow skeptical to say 'well these two events keep happening in close conjuncture, I bet they have nothing to do with eachother.'

But I demonstrated how you can easily disprove this, all you have to do is show the same thing happening with Democrats (since it's apparently random) or show other channels doing the same thing as Fox is, as frequently.

Instead you're going to try and make theme song jingles. The tune is old, the notes sour, and we've heard it before. Offer something that shows this is typical of a news company, or stick your fingers in your ears and complain about reality's well known liberal bias some more.
 
stick your fingers in your ears

Why don't you stick yours on your keyboard and offer up some evidence for your position? I have no doubt that a caption maker may occasionally try to tweak people by making intentional "typos". However, that would be beyond the realm of skeptical inquiry since it would require psychic powers.

Please provide some evidence of this great conspiracy you see though. How many "disgraced" republicans has Fox gotten the D/R wrong on versus the number of disgraced republicans it has broken news on? I see Arlen Specter and John McCain listed as part of the pattern, but neither or these men were being scandalized at the time.

They got Sanford wrong. Did they get Ensign wrong? What is the wrong/right count?
 
As I pointed out to you in the past, they omit context as necessary to make their points. I still can't believe you defend those guys.
I did a search of your posts in Politics and couldn't find where you had provided evidence for this claim. Or, rather, evidence that wasn't debunked at some point or another.

I'll grant you, my Search Fu with this forum is very hit-or-miss. Could you show me an example?
 
*snort*

Systemically reporting Republicans who have scandals as Democrats is a pattern. It's not somehow skeptical to say 'well these two events keep happening in close conjuncture, I bet they have nothing to do with eachother'


As everyone loves to say around here, correlation does not equal causation. That is not evidence of anything.

The level of distaste and outright mistrust of anything remotely right wing is very crazy around here.
 
Last edited:
I did a search of your posts in Politics and couldn't find where you had provided evidence for this claim. Or, rather, evidence that wasn't debunked at some point or another.

I'll grant you, my Search Fu with this forum is very hit-or-miss. Could you show me an example?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3023989&postcount=127

To which you struggled and came up with this weak reply:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3024083&postcount=130

So yes, their omitting of context to make a conclusion or a false fact check (even when that context is elsewhere available on their own site!) has been mentioned and you merely replied "Oh come on, that context from like, the day before, is that even real context? Does that count?".
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom