• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

On Apocalypses and Technology

Yes, there would be plenty of gasoline and diesel, but how long would it actually be useable? Water from condensation can cause problems after just a few months.

Another thought occurs to me; if gasoline is stored in a sealed container, are there any chemical changes that will occur over time that will render it unuseable?

Yes. Gasoline gells.
 
Yes. Gasoline gells.


How quickly, though? When I last bought a lawnmower the manual recommended adding a "fuel stabilizer" for fuel that was going to be sitting (in the mower or external tank) over the winter. I've never done this, and, yet, not had a problem with "old" fuel.

So, how quickly does the fuel gel or become unusable? Can additives, such as the commercially-available fuel stabilizers, slow this down? Can this process be easily reversed? Can I just google this instead of asking you?;)
 
You have my permission to google, which is just as good as the Pope's. :p

Gelled gas lines are a pain in the ass and can happen in as little as a few months of sitting. I know moving helps, but I don't know the specifics, only that it does happen.
 
At first I was going to say I'd never heard of gasoline gelling, but then I remembered the old fashioned(?) term "gasoline varnish" which is the same thing.

Anyway, from what I could find, the gelling is caused by a combination of water and temperature changes. So if one of these is eliminated, does gas still go bad?

I think more Googling is needed.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom