• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Obama sells out to the evangelists

Undesired Walrus

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
11,691
I thought this was a joke, but no, it's real. This flyer is actually real.

Obama gives a terrific speech on the seperation of church and state a few months ago, and then this 'President Conversion' crap appears.

Dawkins was on Fox Radio a while back saying he cannot believe Obama actually believes in God. Shame there isn't a seperation between church and politics.
 
A quick review of religion in politics:

President Bush - bad.
Romney - bad.
Huckabee - bad.
Insert any republican name here - bad.

Obama - good.

Any questions?
 
He should try to reach out, being that he is running for office.

It is pretty clear he is a Christian. My guess is that deep inside he doesn't believe in God but does believe in the positive effects of a congregation based on aspects of modern Christian belief.

Some of us have the unfortunate reflex of painting all Xians with the same brush. Quite a few of modern Xians are essentially athiest. All this does is make Xians trekkies with a socially more acceptable reason to get together.... Both have an essential belief in a utopia, neither are (well... for the most part) deluded that the objects of their appreciation are real.

I've often jokingly referred to this branch of Xianity as following "Blue Jesus" as it is the more liberal wing. Most do believe in an actual God, but the supernatural aspect of the religion is for the most part pushed to the margins in favor of using Jesus as a tool to try to teach certain values, like modesty and such. Jesus wants the world to be a better place rather than want us to follow the bible to the letter.

Whereas the picture of Jesus and his dad as stern meanies that will send you to hell if you join the ACLU or oppose school prayer, you follow "Red Jesus." This is all about the supernatural, the bible is literal and the word of God, etc.

Mostly, the followers of Red and Blue Jesus simply just don't get each other. It makes sense for a Blue Jesus follower to reach out to the Red Jesus followers...
 
This is the man that threw his grandmother under the bus.

Was there really any doubt?
 
I'd hedge my bets on Obama not really believing in God, but its a shame he can't just come out and say it. When he said "I pray to Jesus every night" I realised why he took up politics not acting (Is there a difference?).
 
How is this selling out? He's said for a long time that Democrats need to reach out to Evangelical and religious voters.
 
It's possible that that flyer was designed to address the voters who still believe he's Muslim and won't vote for him for that reason alone.
 
I'm guessing this is in response to the rumors about Obama being a super double secret Muslim jihadist in disguise. It makes me ill that this sort of thing is seen as necessary.
 
It's possible that that flyer was designed to address the voters who still believe he's Muslim and won't vote for him for that reason alone.

It's an awfully pernicious and persistent rumor. Every time I go out to a bar, I hear someone trying to convince everyone within ear shot that Obama's a Muslim.

Except that really cool gay bar with the cheap drinks. Yet another reason gay bars are superior.
 
I guess some people just can't accept that someone can be intelligent,well eductated,and still believe in God.
The problem I have with the New Atheism is that it often is as close minded and bigoted as the Fundies they despise so much.
 
I guess some people just can't accept that someone can be intelligent,well eductated,and still believe in God.
The problem I have with the New Atheism is that it often is as close minded and bigoted as the Fundies they despise so much.

Absolutely. Here on this forum, which I like tremendously, I have found such attitude. I personally am Agnostic, but I do not hold in contempt, disregard, or mock, those who have strong faith. I also accept those who are complete atheists.

I have met many, MANY, people who are extremely intelligent, educated, and of STRONG religious faith...

TAM:)
 
The problem I have with the New Atheism is that it often is as close minded and bigoted as the Fundies they despise so much.

Absolutely. Here on this forum, which I like tremendously, I have found such attitude. I personally am Agnostic, but I do not hold in contempt, disregard, or mock, those who have strong faith. I also accept those who are complete atheists.

I have met many, MANY, people who are extremely intelligent, educated, and of STRONG religious faith...

TAM:)
Amen.

Or something like that.
 
The problem I have with the New Atheism is that it often is as close minded and bigoted as the Fundies they despise so much.

Absolutely. Here on this forum, which I like tremendously, I have found such attitude. I personally am Agnostic, but I do not hold in contempt, disregard, or mock, those who have strong faith. I also accept those who are complete atheists.

I have met many, MANY, people who are extremely intelligent, educated, and of STRONG religious faith...

TAM:)
Amen.

Or something like that.
 
Some of the more militant Atheists are like fervent Religious believers...there is no "Let's Agree to Disagree" with them.
At times I really see a attitude of "Richard Dawkins says it, I believe it,that settles it" at work.
 
Some of the more militant Atheists are like fervent Religious believers...there is no "Let's Agree to Disagree" with them.

Exactly.

At times I really see a attitude of "Richard Dawkins says it, I believe it,that settles it" at work.

Dawkins is not above his own brand of woo:

In an interview with the Guardian, he said: "When you think about how fantastically successful the Jewish lobby has been, though, in fact, they are less numerous I am told - religious Jews anyway - than atheists and [yet they] more or less monopolise American foreign policy as far as many people can see. So if atheists could achieve a small fraction of that influence, the world would be a better place."

Even leaving the "Jewish lobby" part out of it, that's a buffoonish statement. What exactly would an "atheist lobby" accomplish?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom