• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Obama disses iPad, Xbox

Hey, I use my ipad* to comparison shop nearby stores when I'm trying to decide whether to buy an item in the store I'm at. That's greener than physically driving around in my car to those stores. I thought he wanted us to be greener.

Linda

*Technically, I'm using my iphone, but I could use the same app on an ipad with 3G.

Linda
 
How is speaking the truth "Diss"ing?
Reading into the words what is not there is some librul knack, and you are so enamored with it you use it even against your guy?
I thought it was a very good summary...
Ha ha. I love when you act all 'liberals are bad, conservatives are all good'. Particularly when the statement belies itself as it's being made.
 
The idea that people have access to a lot of information that they don't use to empower, just to entertain, should hardly be controversial. That's exactly the sort of bromide that graduates have been told for centuries, except that a hundred years ago the colleges were saying that about money -- use your money productively instead of frittering it on useless frivolities.

His comments shouldn't be taken as an indictment of those who play videogames or use technology for entertainment purposes.

I'm a huge gamer, but I recognize that it's a hobby that I greatly enjoy in my spare time. Like any hobby, if it gets in the way of professional development, family responsibilities, and the like, it's time to think more seriously about moderation.
 
His comments shouldn't be taken as an indictment of those who play videogames or use technology for entertainment purposes.

I'm a huge gamer, but I recognize that it's a hobby that I greatly enjoy in my spare time. Like any hobby, if it gets in the way of professional development, family responsibilities, and the like, it's time to think more seriously about moderation.

Maybe, but he's not even particularly targeting games. The iPad is on his list too, for example, and it's not particularly a gaming device. The only common denominator in his list is more like it's this newfangled stuff that he admittedly doesn't even know how to use. So I guess it must be bad.
 
Maybe, but he's not even particularly targeting games. The iPad is on his list too, for example, and it's not particularly a gaming device. The only common denominator in his list is more like it's this newfangled stuff that he admittedly doesn't even know how to use. So I guess it must be bad.

Yeah, I can see that.

My iPod is something that makes it easier for me to maintain a running regimen and keep myself physically fit.

I can see myself using an iPad for a myriad of reasons, and not one of them is games - although it could be used for that.

The XBOX360 isn't exclusively a gaming device either, since I can stream movies and other content to it.

I can see the point he was trying to make, and it is a valid one - but the wording of it and calling out specific systems makes it seem rather curmudgeonly. That's ironic in my opinion, because embracing technology and social networking worked in his favor to get elected.

What's wrong with being entertained? Why's he going to Camp David, or rolling eggs across the White House Lawn, or enjoying the Kennedy Center Honors - shouldn't he be empowering himself?

Ugh. Not quite a Biden-level gaffe, but in the ballpark.
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking of the kids in the knickerbockers, shirt-tail, young ones...peeking in their iPad windows after school!

You got TROUBLE!!!
 
I can see myself using an iPad for a myriad of reasons, and not one of them is games - although it could be used for that.

Actually the point is that pretty much it can't. It's a custom designed CPU loosely based on ARM, so you can't just buy a PC or even Mac game off the shelf and run it. And since Apple hates Flash (and everything that lets you bypass their monopoly attempt and run stuff that's not tied to their machine), you won't even be playing those games on it.

And with the integrated PowerVR graphics, you won't exactly be playing FPS on it anyway. It might be good for turn based games and adventures, once anyone gets around to make some for it.

But, again, given Apple's recent foam at the mouth against stuff that runs on more than one platform, the question might be if anyone actually wants to write an AAA title _only_ for the iPad. It's not like it will be the gamers' platform of choice or anything. I mean even the PC publishers now prefer to go cross-platform for major titles because the console market is that profitable. I doubt that any major title will actually be an iPad exclusive, as Steve Jobs seems to prefer his apps.

At any rate, that's speculation about the future. In the here and now buying an iPad for gaming makes as little sense as buying a pre-Intel Mac for running Windows.

You might however buy one to surf the web, or read an ebook or the like.

Really, as I was saying, gaming is not the common denominator there. Being new gizmos seems to be it.
 
If textbooks ever get on board the digital distribution train, I would love to have an iPad for that purpose alone.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom