• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

NSA and Internet Traffic

Old. Here is the wikipedia page with links to other things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

The Wired article (footnote 1) is interesting, and some of the other links point to court documents. AT&T sought to dismiss the lawsuit filed but it was not. AT&T is now appealing that decision and the court has not released a decision yet. While I would not put it past the government to install something like this (read up on the FBI's Carnivore software) but I am a little bit suspect. The government claims this was for another project, and the guy in the video admits that he could not get into this secret room. It is not a clear case of monitoring all traffic, but it is not a clear case that they are not. The government will probably end up pulling the state secret card. I think it is pretty clear that AT&T split the fiber to this other room, there doesn't seem to be any evidence produced as to what they are doing with that. Klein does mention a network traffic analyzer (the Narus) but AT&T counters with that it can be used to monitor traffic for other reasons namely virus and hack protection. Again, while it does seem suspect, I don't think it has been clearly demonstrated that these systems are being put in place for spying purposes.
 
I'd like to share my thoughts, but I'm feeling a little coy right now.

How bout you go first? :)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom