• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

'No God' campaign draws complaint

The only thing that worried me about those signs was that the particular wording about "Stop Worrying and Enjoy Your Life" -- It sounded as if to some people it would be interpreted as "Stop worrying about behaving ethically and enjoy your life"
That's actually a good point.
 
Unfortunately (for them) the athiests are going to loose pretty bad on this
I sincerely doubt it, though the threat does explain why they accepted the insertion of the word "probably" in the ads. That should provide them with the legal cover they need.

And the verb is "lose"; "loose" is an adjective meaning "not tight."
 
Christian Voice = Stephen Green (as far as I can see).


It's not just Green who has complained though. There's also been a complaint from a "distinguished religious affairs commentator". Unfortunately it's a rather dumb complaint. Not only does it rely on the anthropic fallacy, but from the comments on that article, and also this one, it appears that it quotes a number of scientists out of context, and that it has been cut and pasted from a creationist website.
 
Last edited:
One should never argue about which tea is best, as it depends on what water you're using. I personally love a particular brand of flavoured tea, but I no longer bring it with me when I travel because it's horrific when brewed in Ukrainian water. When I'm in Kyiv, I buy a brand that I normally don't like, because it's delicious in the right water.
 
Don't you understand that Whittard scolded his fingers for your tea? Sennt to Earth to usher in the new age and discard the past. Tea-bags are fine in the modern church, although I admit that I still maintain a stock of loose tea for special festivals.

You see, I KNOW beyond a doubt that this is true; all you have to do is trust me.

That's what MY tea-bible says. Damned leafists - if it were up to them we'd wouldn't even have electric kettles.

If bad people die, do they go to starbucks?

No, no. Starbucks is purgatory. COSTA is hell.

lose not loose

Unless you're talking leaves of course.
 
It's not just Green who has complained though.

Green? Green? Now you're starting on Green tea? You might as well steep a pot of lawn clippings!

And don't get me started on "herbal tea". Anyone who calls chamomile and rose petals "tea" has committed a deadly sin.
 
Green? Green? Now you're starting on Green tea? You might as well steep a pot of lawn clippings!

And don't get me started on "herbal tea". Anyone who calls chamomile and rose petals "tea" has committed a deadly sin.

The words ‘green’ and ‘herbal’ may not be used in the same sentence. That is heresy, sacrilege, evil.....

People could be burned at the stake for lesser evils... we need a jihad against this sort of thing.

Now let me calm down with a nice cup of Twinings.
 
Christian Voice = Stephen Green (as far as I can see)

He creates a controversy, so the media love him. However, they never report his views on gay people, because, you know, that might lead people to believe he is a crank and there is really no controversy at all.


He is an instant rent a gob on any and every subject. Such individuals are a joy to the tabloids. As far as I can tell the main stream churches want nothing to do with him. He is a Phelps lite. I could say more but I am bored already.
 
Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God".
Ron Heather, from Southampton, Hampshire, responded with "shock" and "horror" at the message and walked out of his shift on Saturday in protest. First Bus said it would do everything in its power to ensure Mr Heather does not have to drive the buses.



Mr Heather told BBC Radio Solent: "I was just about to board and there it was staring me in the face, my first reaction was shock horror. "I felt that I could not drive that bus, I told my managers and they said they haven't got another one and I thought I better go home, so I did.


"I think it was the starkness of this advert which implied there was no God."
When he returned to work on Monday he was called into a meeting with managers and agreed to go back to work with the promise he would only have to drive the buses if there were no others available.
First Bus said in a statement: "As a company we understand Mr Heather's views regarding the atheist bus advert and we are doing what we can to accommodate his request not to drive the buses concerned." It added: "As an organisation we don't endorse any of the products or sentiments advertised on our buses.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm

Published: 2009/01/16 10:29:39 GMT
 
Maybe but what's next? objecting on the grounds it's advertising the new Ben Stlller movie?
However rational (in my opinion) that might be....
 
Maybe but what's next? objecting on the grounds it's advertising the new Ben Stlller movie?
However rational (in my opinion) that might be....

That's why I said they'd taken a sensible approach, they've only said to him that he doesn't need to drive one if there are other available buses, if there aren't and he still refuses to drive one then I would expect them to follow what ever the disciplinary procedures are. (I would also have expected them to dock his pay for the shift he refused to work and also instigated disciplinary procedures for that but I suspect he'll get away with that.)
 
That's why I said they'd taken a sensible approach, they've only said to him that he doesn't need to drive one if there are other available buses, if there aren't and he still refuses to drive one then I would expect them to follow what ever the disciplinary procedures are. (I would also have expected them to dock his pay for the shift he refused to work and also instigated disciplinary procedures for that but I suspect he'll get away with that.)

The problem is, now anyone can rightly demand to be treated the same way: "Hey, I don't lke *this* advert, (and those two here, either) so I should be given another bus!" It would be a lot of extra work to try and accommodate for that - just imagine that each and every of the drives just has one ad that they don't like. And then you would have to start counting who had how many shifts on one of the buses they didn't like, too. (Coz Pete didn't have to do any bad shifdts yet, but I already had three ...)

The only reason why I wouldn't have immediately fired the driver is that replacing him would probably cost me more money...
 
In my experience that sort of slippery slope problem is easily addressed by a bit of good and timely management on the shop-floor.
 
Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God".
Ron Heather, from Southampton, Hampshire, responded with "shock" and "horror" at the message and walked out of his shift on Saturday in protest. First Bus said it would do everything in its power to ensure Mr Heather does not have to drive the buses.

I wonder if he had said the same thing about an Islamic ad, or even if an athiest had said it about a Christian ad, would they be fired right out of there?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom