In short, you know as little in that area as I do.
Well, I didn't believe that I was making an unreasonable statement by saying that doing war, especially using complex heavy weapons, benefited from proper training, since it seems agreed by all nations in the world having a standing army and specialized corps.
Or that untrained, inexperienced men would suffer tremendously in battle without psychological preparation, thus reducing even further their efficiency, according to Clausewitz, and pretty much any military expert since then.
(Sorry for the snarky tone)
While some soldiers defected to the rebellion (where their involvement is cast into doubt, as I pointed in an earlier message), the bulk of the forces are untrained, unorganized, uncoordinated. There is no way or no time currently to change that.
You mentioned Stingers, but Afghanistan (or Vietnam, by the way), your two text-books assymetric conflicts, were very different:
- There was a lot of guerilla going on, a type of war less "intense"
- Afghanis and Vietnameses gained or had considerable experience through many years of non-stop war.
I do not believe we can supply enough weapons to make the situation even (material and political limitations), I am not convinced that it would be the tie breaker if we could do so, because of the lack of training and organization.
Good grief! The protesters lack of success in countering an organizeed mechanized army is only evidence of the simple fact that they need heavy weapons! They need a level playing field!
They maybe do need it but we cannot make it happen through weapons supply (as per my previous point).
Explain to me exactly where the UN Resolution would be "bent" to allow this.
Please allow me to elaborate:
- The UN Resolution states that we must enforce a NFZ, protect civilians and
obtain a ceasefire. Openly supplying weapons (heavy ones at that, not exactly very discrete) to one side of the conflict would be the exact opposite of the stated goal, don't you agree?
- We are already bending the resolution because we all know that the coalition is helping the insurgency and we do not seem to pressure them into a ceasefire. The airstrikes got some flak from other countries and it is not impossible that the coalition will have further limitations on its action.