Laete, people claim to be tweeting from Misrata, ergo they have internet access.
Wow that's incredible: soon they will have cell phones too!
A month ago Libya was the African country with the highest standard of living, admittedly not a massive claim, but still something to consider while we all slap ourselves on the back while we watch it slide into becoming the next Somalia.
I'm not sure what it has to do with the issue. We're not bombing them because we assume they are poor.
The point of this is that there are probably (very conservative estimate) 10 000 cell phones with video capacity in Misrata - it was after all, the third largest city
Aside from a short clip of two unexplained explosions four days ago, I know of not one clip of shelled ambulances, overflowing casualty wards, desperate street fighting, flattened city center. All of which have been in recent days tweeted or phoned in by a "doctor" in Misrata.
No clips of rebel check points, no clips of rebel fighters parading weapons. Nothing.
You surely are aware that the opposition are well aware of the value of the information war, the value of images and the value of controlling the media narrative?
Does not the absence of tangible evidence not suggest you are being conned?
I think you somewhat missed my point. I did not point to a tweet, to a testimony or to a youtube video, but to the declaration of a Libyan spokesperson. He is saying that, right now, they are
"hunting down terrorist elements". But maybe they do that with flowers?
He also claims that they control the city for 3 days. Didn't Libya announced a cease-fire, like, 4 or 5 days ago? How did they gain control of the city then? Surely, as you pointed out yourself since the rebels do not seem to cease fire, this means that Libya is advancing through armed action?
Twice did Libya announced a cease fire. Yet, by their own declarations, they are still fighting and apparently taking offensive action.
On a side note, I have a hard time following the way you link
video with
tangible evidence, cell phone becoming the new paramount of proof, especially if you claim to be savvy about the information-age and all that. Video is prone to all sort of tampering and editing. Cell phones videos are even worse: low quality, short clips, source difficult to define in a lot of cases, handled by amateurs.
Because, well, I could give you this
link, but I wanted to play Devil's Advocate, all I can derive from this video is that something exploded somewhere. Confirming date, place, and other such infos without any extensive research would be pointless.
As per the previous point, you seem quick to ask for a deep analysis of the "media narrative" of the rebels while ignoring that the regime is also playing one of its own.
I see mentions of Misrata, Zintan and other towns being under fire on Reuters, Al-Jazeera & co.
But then again, why trust the MSM and who they get the info from: I concede that they do get their testimonies via phone with unverifiable sources. Maybe it would easier for them to gather images if they
weren't arrested by the Libyan Army, like
pretty often, just saying.